Bill Gates warns of impending pandemic

Violette

Star
“Bill Gates thinks a coming disease could kill 30 million people within 6 months....
Melinda Gates recently said that the threat of a global pandemic, whether it emerges naturally or is engineered, was perhaps the biggest risk to humanity.”
The threat of nuclear war is more of a scare tactic than an actual reality IMO. If they really wanted to wipe out a lot of people in a short of amount of time biological weapons would be a very effective method.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-warns-the-next-pandemic-disease-is-coming-2018-4

Jes

Established
“Bill Gates thinks a coming disease could kill 30 million people within 6 months....
Melinda Gates recently said that the threat of a global pandemic, whether it emerges naturally or is engineered, was perhaps the biggest risk to humanity.”
The threat of nuclear war is more of a scare tactic than an actual reality IMO. If they really wanted to wipe out a lot of people in a short of amount of time biological weapons would be a very effective method.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-warns-the-next-pandemic-disease-is-coming-2018-4
Is that including them spraying something in the air? Wow!

Aero

Superstar
If millions die from pandemic it will have little to do with super bugs or lack of immunization. It will be because people in the world are ridiculously poor, and live in their own shit. That's some real talk for you.

Violette

Star
If millions die from pandemic it will have little to do with super bugs or lack of immunization. It will be because people in the world are ridiculously poor, and live in their own shit. That's some real talk for you.
Uhh that’s literally how people would die from a pandemic, lack of immunity and the pathogen could be a superbug. Millions of people are already poor and living in unsanitary conditions.....That has nothing to do with a disease we’ve never seen before rapidly spreading across the country. Especially when the warning is from Mr. and Mrs. Eugenics

Aero

Superstar
Uhh that’s literally how people would die from a pandemic, lack of immunity and the pathogen could be a superbug. Millions of people are already poor and living in unsanitary conditions.....That has nothing to do with a disease we’ve never seen before rapidly spreading across the country. Especially when the warning is from Mr. and Mrs. Eugenics
You don't understand how diseases actually spread. If everyone is properly fed, and live in clean conditions than pandemic not a possibility. Nobody knew what the black plague was, but that's not why it killed them. It killed them because they thought there was nothing wrong with living in shit.

Violette

Star
You don't understand how diseases actually spread. If everyone is properly fed, and live in clean conditions than pandemic not a possibility. Nobody knew what the black plague was, but that's not why it killed them. It killed them because they thought there was nothing wrong with living in shit.
No, you clearly don’t understand how diseases spread. You can live in very clean conditions and be a generally healthy person and still get infected by a pathogen if you have no immunity against, it’s that simple. Diseases and superbugs dont exclusively arise from unsanitary conditions. If something is being engineered specifically to wipe out millions of people no amount of handwashing and general wellness will save you, you could inhale it without ever knowing. Of course people didn’t think anything of the unsanitary conditions they lived in during the Black Plague there was no standard for sanitation like what we have today. Even hospitals still werent sanitary for centuries later.

Aero

Superstar
No, you clearly don’t understand how diseases spread. You can live in very clean conditions and be a generally healthy person and still get infected by a pathogen if you have no immunity against, it’s that simple. Diseases and superbugs dont exclusively arise from unsanitary conditions. If something is being engineered specifically to wipe out millions of people no amount of handwashing and general wellness will save you, you could inhale it without ever knowing. Of course people didn’t think anything of the unsanitary conditions they lived in during the Black Plague there was no standard for sanitation like what we have today. Even hospitals still werent sanitary for centuries later.
A healthy person has immunity though. That's what the immune system does. It finds whatever new disease has entered the body, and creates antibodies. So your whole theory kind of falls apart on itself.

If you are talking about someone gassing us with Anthrax. Obviously we are going to be in some trouble. But beyond that, healthy people shouldn't have to worry. We can contain anything that comes naturally, of course it will still be like I said. It will be the poor, and malnourished who suffer it all.

Violette

Star
A healthy person has immunity though. That's what the immune system does. It finds whatever new disease has entered the body, and creates antibodies. So your whole theory kind of falls apart on itself.

If you are talking about someone gassing us with Anthrax. Obviously we are going to be in some trouble. But beyond that, healthy people shouldn't have to worry. We can contain anything that comes naturally, of course it will still be like I said. It will be the poor, and malnourished who suffer it all.
It’s not a theory it’s literally science. We all have immune systems but we don’t have immunity to everything. Your body can’t build resistance against something that it hasn’t encountered. If we were immune to everything we would never get sick.

Aero

Superstar
It’s not a theory it’s literally science. We all have immune systems but we don’t have immunity to everything. Your body can’t build resistance against something that it hasn’t encountered. If we were immune to everything we would never get sick.
You got the science twisted than. The human body has the capabilities to fight off anything. Of course that doesn't mean complete immunity. But it means most functioning immune systems are doing their jobs.

The healthy people will get mildly sick, while the unhealthy people will be crippled by the same sickness. I don't get what's so hard to understand about this. Free your mind from the clutches of big medicine. We don't need most of that shit.

Violette

Star
You got the science twisted than. The human body has the capabilities to fight off anything. Of course that doesn't mean complete immunity. But it means most functioning immune systems are doing their jobs.

The healthy people will get mildly sick, while the unhealthy people will be crippled by the same sickness. I don't get what's so hard to understand about this. Free your mind from the clutches of big medicine. We don't need most of that shit.
I have science twist? You said healthy people have immunity? ...To what? That sentence didn’t even make sense but Im trying to be patient with you. You also keep insituating that pandemics aren’t possible in clean environments with generally healthy people, not true. You said our bodies have the capability to fight off anything, not true or else people wouldn’t die from sickness. Our immune systems are very impressive but they aren’t invincible. If you come in contact with a pathogen you haven’t been exposed to you may get sick. That’s just life. You’re rambling and missing the point of this thread. I agree that a pandemic wouldn’t likely occur in developed countries naturally but two people that are pro eugenics warned that our biggest threat is a global pandemic that can occur naturally or engineered. If they’re creating something specifically to kill they could program it to make your immune system useless. They can do a lot, they have plenty of money and research.

Aero

Superstar
I have science twist? You said healthy people have immunity? ...To what? That sentence didn’t even make sense but Im trying to be patient with you. You also keep insituating that pandemics aren’t possible in clean environments with generally healthy people, not true. You said our bodies have the capability to fight off anything, not true or else people wouldn’t die from sickness. Our immune systems are very impressive but they aren’t invincible. If you come in contact with a pathogen you haven’t been exposed to you may get sick. That’s just life. You’re rambling and missing the point of this thread. I agree that a pandemic wouldn’t likely occur in developed countries naturally but two people that are pro eugenics warned that our biggest threat is a global pandemic that can occur naturally or engineered. If they’re creating something specifically to kill they could program it to make your immune system useless. They can do a lot, they have plenty of money and research.
A healthy immune system is generally speaking, Immune. If it wasn't we would probably call it something else. I don't know what there is to be patient about. I was making a simple point about hygiene and proper diet being our natural defense against pandemics. And that different people respond to different diseases differently.

It's like you have forgotten what it's like to get sick or something. Some people die from the simple illnesses you shrug off. That's what a pandemic is in reality. It could be a virus, or it could be a cancer. But acting like it will have some flat effect on everyone is ignoring the actual science. I'm just saying, I don't buy the idea my fate is in Bill Gate's hands. I bet I laugh at any superbug he creates

Violette

Star
A healthy immune system is generally speaking, Immune. If it wasn't we would probably call it something else. I don't know what there is to be patient about. I was making a simple point about hygiene and proper diet being our natural defense against pandemics. And that different people respond to different diseases differently.

It's like you have forgotten what it's like to get sick or something. Some people die from the simple illnesses you shrug off. That's what a pandemic is in reality. It could be a virus, or it could be a cancer. But acting like it will have some flat effect on everyone is ignoring the actual science. I'm just saying, I don't buy the idea my fate is in Bill Gate's hands. I bet I laugh at any superbug he creates
A pandemic is infectious so no it couldn’t be cancer. Unfortunately good hygiene and a strong immune system cannot protect you against something designed to kill you. You can’t prevent every transmission of infection either it could be airborne, contaminated food or water, etc. Our immune systems are very effective for sure but they aren’t invincible. When have I shrugged off simple illnesses? Superbugs already exist, if you got sick from one he created I bet you wouldn’t be laughing :) . No one is insinuating that your fate lies in Bill Gates hands this just a discussion of a relevant topic :rolleyes:

Damien50

Star
How does the immune system work?
Publication Details

The immune system (from the Latin word immunis, meaning: “free” or “untouched”) protects the body like a guardian from harmful influences from the environment and is essential for survival. It is made up of different organs, cells and proteins and aside from the nervous system, it is the most complex system that the human body has.

As long as our body’s system of defense is running smoothly, we do not notice the immune system. And yet, different groups of cells work together and form alliances against just about any pathogen (germ). But illness can occur if the performance of the immune system is compromised, if the pathogen is especially aggressive, or sometimes also if the body is confronted with a pathogen it has not come into contact before.

The tasks of the immune system
Without an immune system, a human being would be just as exposed to the harmful influences of pathogens or other substances from the outside environment as to changes harmful to health happening inside of the body. The main tasks of the body’s immune system are:

• Neutralizing pathogens like bacteria, viruses, parasites or fungi that have entered the body, and removing them from the body
  • Recognizing and neutralizing harmful substances from the environment
  • Fighting against the body’s own cells that have changed due to an illness, for example cancerous cells
Differentiation between self and non-self substances
For protection to be effective it is important, however, that the immune system can differentiate between “self” and “non-self” cells, organisms and substances. Usually, the body should not work against its own healthy cells.

The immune system can be activated by many “non-self” substances. These are called antigens. The proteins on the surfaces of bacteria, fungi and viruses, for example, are all antigens. When the antigens bind to, for example, special receptors on the defense cells, a series of cell processes is started. Then the immune system can recall stored “memories” in order to more quickly be ready to defend against known pathogens.

The body’s own cells have surface proteins, too. But the immune system does not work against them, because it has already learned at an earlier stage to identify specifically these cell proteins as “self.” If the immune system identifies the cells of its own body as “non-self,” it is also called an autoimmune reaction.

Innate immune system
There are two main parts of the immune system: the innate and the adaptive immune system.

The evolutionary older innate immune systemprovides a general defense against pathogens, so it is also called the nonspecific immune system. It works mostly at the level of immune cells like “scavenger cells” or “killer cells.” These cells mostly fight against bacterial infections.

Adaptive immune system
In the adaptive immune system, particular agentslike the so-called antibodies target very specific pathogens that the body has already had contact with. That is why this is also called a learned defense or a specific immune response. By constantly adapting and learning the body can also fight against bacteria or viruses that change over time.

Yet these two immune systems do not work independently of each other. They complement each other in any reaction to a pathogen or harmful substance, and are closely connected with each other.

Sources
  • Menche N. (ed.) Biologie Anatomie Physiologie. Munich: Urban & Fischer/ Elsevier; 2012.
  • Pschyrembel W. Klinisches Wörterbuch. Berlin: De Gruyter; 2014.
  • Schmidt R, Lang F, Heckmann M. Physiologie des Menschen: mit Pathophysiologie. Heidelberg: Springer; 2011.
  • IQWiG health information is written with the aim of helping people understand the advantages and disadvantages of the main treatment options and health care services.
    Because IQWiG is a German institute, some of the information provided here is specific to the German health care system. The suitability of any of the described options in an individual case can be determined by talking to a doctor. We do not offer individual consultations.
    Our information is based on the results of good-quality studies. It is written by a team of health care professionals, scientists and editors, and reviewed by external experts. You can find a detailed description of how our health information is produced and updated in our methods.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072548/

Damien50

Star
How Pandemics Spread
September 27, 2014

In modern times, we have become highly dependent on the high technology that has, in many cases, eliminated the scourge of infectious disease. Antibiotic and antiviral medications are now available in their 3rd or 4th generation versions, and physicians aren’t reluctant to use them when necessary.

Few, however, consider the possibility that a major disaster may wipe out the ability to manufacture these drugs in mass quantities. Severe restrictions exist which put these drugs out of the reach of the common man. What, then, will happen if we are struck by, say, an electromagnetic pulse event and the grid goes down? We will be left with only the most basic options to deal with many medical issues. In this circumstance, we will feel the full brunt of an infectious disease that might affect entire communities.

You’ve seen epidemics in the news and concern about their potential for the next great pandemic. but what are they? Let’s start with some definitions so that you’ll know what we’re talking about:

EPIDEMICS VS. PANDEMICS

An Epidemic is a rapid widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community that is not always present in an area. Influenza, EnterovirusD68, and Ebola are examples.
An Endemic disease is a disease regularly found among particular people or in a certain area. Obesity, for example, is endemic in the United States; Malaria is endemic in many tropical countries.
A Pandemic occurs when an infectious disease runs rampant throughout a large region or, in the case of the Great Spanish Epidemic of 1918, the whole world.

METHODS OF TRANSMISSION

A pandemic isn’t a pandemic, by definition, unless it spreads. The speed at which an infectious disease spreads can topple entire economies, even governments. So how do pandemics spread? There are a variety of ways that infectious disease can run rampant through a region

https://www.doomandbloom.net/how-pandemics-spread/

vigilink

A healthy immune system is generally speaking, Immune.
That's not really how it works, unfortunately. It would be great if it did, but we'd be basically immortal in that case as long as we eat all our vegetables and keep our hands clean.
The immune system, as Damien50's links have outlined, is basically an auto-response system, but it needs to be programmed (through exposure) in order to even be aware when it needs to respond to something. Think of your computer's antivirus having to get updates because without those updates it wouldn't be able to identify what's a threat and what's not. We get updates by getting mild versions of an illness so then hopefully when a stronger version of the same illness comes along our immune system recognises it and can figure out what to do. This doesn't make us "immune" it makes us "immunised" - the key difference being "immune" implies impervious whereas "immunised" simply means we are capable of responding in some way... whether that repsonse will be successful or not is always a percentage game. It's a shame that the phrasing "immune" was used to name it rather than "response" or something along those lines because semantically that would be closer to its actual role.

Others have mentioned the 1918 Spanish Flu above. I'd highly recommend reading up more about this pandemic as it's one of the most striking and most recent examples of a legitimately dubbed pandemic; we have a lot of really accurate records of its spread and impacts, as well as witness accounts, etc because it's a part of our modern history. An important thing to note about the Flu (any flu) is that a brand new strain completely bypasses your immune system because you simply don't have it labelled "virus" in your database; the flu virus has evolved into one of our greatest threats because it has found a way to keep its strains and sub-strains separate enough that your immune system needs a new set of antibodies specific to each strain. Your immune system will only respond to a flu virus that it can identify as such, and it will only identify something as the flu if it has past experience with it... in other words, if you haven't had the flu - that specific strain of the flu (and they're very specific and separate) then your body doesn't even know it's got the flu. Furthermore, if you "die from the flu" generally speaking you are actually killed by your immune system. In other words, your immune system responds to the unidentified virus by trying to flush it out of your system wholesale and basically drowns you in the process. So you either drown in your own fluids or you survive that only to die from dehydration due to the loss of those fluids.

We are not X-men - we are quite a delicate organism that is far more susceptible to all manner of harm than it may seem: viruses and bacteria have evolved specifically to kill us, so they can be quite good at that. Add in the potential for human interference - i.e. genetically engineering a virus to bypass the defenses we have gradually evolved in parallel with naturally evolving viruses... well then we wouldn't stand a chance.