BTS discussion thread

Kpop is a business, and an important one for South Korea. Is the main thing why South Korea is known in the world. Yeah yeah, cosmetics, tech and cars....but people doesn't get interested in a country because of that. Before the hallyu, few people had interest in SK. Something similar happened to Japan with anime and manga.
The difference is Japan doesn't market their entertainment. It's for Japanese eyes and weaboos gave them free promotion in the West. Korea has put billions into getting the West hooked on the music, entertainment and culture of south Korea. It's worked but it's harming people. Kpop takes the addictive parts of song, choreography, puts in fujoshis and queerbaiting, pandering to sexual fantasies and pretend romance. That's a toxic brew sold to the most vulnerable people.

We know Kyu Soon doesn't love us, but tell that to Harriet in marketing who's gone on 12 tinder dates, and if one more guy tries to touch her, she's going to scream. Mark in middle school can't ask the cute girl out but his bias still loves him. They feed fantasies to people at their lowest. A lot of kpop fans credit idols and groups with helping, healing or saving them. Never mind that oppar and unnie are racist, sexist, and hate foreigners, they're buying a fantasy.

cadiz

Star
Kpop is a business, and an important one for South Korea. Is the main thing why South Korea is known in the world. Yeah yeah, cosmetics, tech and cars....but people doesn't get interested in a country because of that. Before the hallyu, few people had interest in SK. Something similar happened to Japan with anime and manga.
at least you have some really good animes and mangas tho
they deserve that popularity because they have quality

i cant say the same thing about kpop tbh, thats just a copy of western music and trends, there is nothing unique about it .

Truthteller

Veteran

i cant say the same thing about kpop tbh, thats just a copy of western music and trends, there is nothing unique about it .
Japanese creators are very unique and creative, very different to the rest of the world in some ways. They are also very hard-working but it has come at a cost. No offense but SK to me seems like they have some deep modern complexes, especially against Japan and western countries and it shows in their pop culture. By west i mean the Eurocentric west. It is understandable though given their recent history.

Anime has so many good stories and they use western influences in an interesting and respectful way. Kpop is not on the same level.

Japanese creators are very unique and creative, very different to the rest of the world in some ways. They are also very hard-working but it has come at a cost. No offense but SK to me seems like they have some deep modern complexes, especially against Japan and western countries and it shows in their pop culture. By west i mean the Eurocentric west. It is understandable though given their recent history.
I think Koreans have an inferiority complex towards Japan and America because they're responsible for their economic boom. We invested and left army bases, and Japan made reparations multiple times. That's not letting us or them off the hook, because Japan committed war crimes even worse than Germany and we dropped two nukes.

sandonthebeach

Established
they're buying a fantasy.
Entertainment is basically that, selling fantasies.
It's worked but it's harming people.
Like any other entertainment thing nowadays. Western entertainment these days is crap, and let's not talk about the obvious propaganda that it is.
They feed fantasies to people at their lowest
They feed fantasies so people buy them. It's a business. The thing is, many of those are teens, and many times don't know distinguishing between fantasy and reality.
Good point, although anime has been declining in popularity.

Entertainment is basically that, selling fantasies.

Like any other entertainment thing nowadays. Western entertainment these days is crap, and let's not talk about the obvious propaganda that it is.

They feed fantasies so people buy them. It's a business. The thing is, many of those are teens, and many times don't know distinguishing between fantasy and reality.

Good point, although anime has been declining in popularity.
Many adults can't distinguish reality from fantasy either. I read stories of Armys in their 20-40s and up. They got into btees because something was lacking in their life or a bad relationship with their partner. Idols are the perfect boyfriend or girlfriend. They won't complain, unlimited content means they're always available, and they love you no matter. Except it's fake and they're as real as a cardboard cutout. Western media is a lot of propaganda but it's not a foreign nation indoctrinating another country's population.

Berrywon88

Star
Western entertainment these days is crap, and let's not talk about the obvious propaganda that it is.
True, American entertainment (movies and t.v.) has been horrible for decades. Most mainstream music has been crap since 1995 post grunge scene. As far as the U.K. etc they had a better run than us with producing good entertainment for awhile there but even they have gone downhill.

And propaganda in American entertainment has always been there. Let me sum up a typical Hollywood blockbuster movie:
White arrogant American heterosexual male saves the world from Armageddon.
White American (skinny and usually blonde) female is an annoying smart a** that is supposed to be so strong, yet always ends up in the male leads arms.
(If there is some racial diversity)..
Black character: Always the side loud mouthed sassy friend that is only there to uplift white characters and give one liners that aren't funny.
Any other person of color character: The butt of all jokes (always some joke about their accent etc. If male: they're emasculated..If female: sexualized.)
And this is why I don't bother going to the movie theaters!

As far as Korean entertainment including Kpop, I personally don't like to do the whole whattaboutism thing. Like for example I've seen repeatedly people say: "SK media might be bad, but what about the US?" It's like comparing a cat turd to a dog turd, both are sh!t at the end of the day.

Beautiful

Star
Seriously how much are they goona drag this topic. They should say if they want to do or not. Their service is not finding a solution it is going round and round. And whoever that politician is trying so hard to get them free from service using that event. I heard a rumor that a politician is fan of v and daily used to visit set and take v used cloth. Weird

PrincessPunch

Veteran
Seriously how much are they goona drag this topic. They should say if they want to do or not. Their service is not finding a solution it is going round and round. And whoever that politician is trying so hard to get them free from service using that event. I heard a rumor that a politician is fan of v and daily used to visit set and take v used cloth. Weird
im pretty sure hyb3 pays ytbers to make videos about the military topic just like they pay ytbers to react to their artists mvs. dookiedookietv especially lmao

cadiz

Star
i wonder....What is JN even doing these days? he could enlist when BT5 announced their "break"

instead he is just there....waiting for what exactly? all the idols from 92 are already enlisted
and JN had the excuse of "bt5 are touring" before but what now?

minnie82

Superstar
Many adults can't distinguish reality from fantasy either. I read stories of Armys in their 20-40s and up. They got into btees because something was lacking in their life or a bad relationship with their partner. Idols are the perfect boyfriend or girlfriend. They won't complain, unlimited content means they're always available, and they love you no matter. Except it's fake and they're as real as a cardboard cutout. Western media is a lot of propaganda but it's not a foreign nation indoctrinating another country's population.
Totally true

theartbook35

Veteran
Here's my thought regarding enlistment: Just effing enlist.

I read an article recently that Jin said he's waiting for Hive to tell him what to do. Hive doesn't have any control over whether or not he enlists. The SK gov't does. BT5 haven't done what is required for enlistment to be waived. Just do the stupid service and call it a day.

@rmy don't even give a crap about Jin anyway. They won't care if he's there or not. Frankly, when YG was out for his "shoulder surgery" they barely cared. (Side note, that YG hologram was the weirdest thing and super creepy. I passionately hated that hologram). So Jin can go into the military, do his thing and BT5 will survive.

Last edited:
Here's my thought regarding enlistment: Just effing enlist.

I read an article recently that Jin said he's waiting for Hive to tell him what to do. Hive doesn't have any control over whether or not he enlists. The SK gov't does. BT5 haven't done what is required for enlistment to be waived. Just do the stupid service and call it a day.

@rmy don't even give a crap about Jin anyway. They won't care if he's there or not. Frankly, when YG was out for his "shoulder surgery" they barely cared. (Side note, that YG hologram was the weirdest thing and super creepy. I passionately hated that hologram). So Jin can go into the military, do his thing and BT5 will survive.
Armys are crying so loud because if Jn serves, their faves have to serve. What excuse can Tae, Jk, Jm or the hyungs use if the oldest does his service? They have to keep him out for the exemption. Once he goes that means they all serve.

sandonthebeach

Established
Western media is a lot of propaganda but it's not a foreign nation indoctrinating another country's population
Oh, yes it is, American films specially has been about indoctrinating the rest of the world, although it was cleverly cloaked. Nowadays they just don't bother hiding it anymore.
Many adults can't distinguish reality from fantasy either.
This could be an interesting topic for another thread. Infantilization of society these days is quite obvious or people remaining stucked in the teenage mentality. Also, the atomisation of society, too many people feeling lonely and depressed and working in bullshit jobs.
American entertainment (movies and t.v.) has been horrible for decades. Most mainstream music has been crap since 1995 post grunge scene
I don't think many people are aware that the propaganda has been there for decades, not just the last 5 years. It's just that, at times it was so subtle, so well dressed as entertainment, that only people with a keen eye could see it.
"SK media might be bad, but what about the US?" It's like comparing a cat turd to a dog turd, both are sh!t at the end of the day.
Exactly, it's the same shit, just at different phases.

Fujiko

Star
This situation is becoming awkward,are they not shameful to insist with this exemption while others idols are in the army like Ta3min,or Bacon?