Can anyone recommend any good books?

Kais_1

Star
Can anyone recommend any good books?

what are you reading at the moment?

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
Rawi Hage is my current favorite contemporary writer, whose books typically tell the tale of foreigners from Muslim nations adapting or failing to adapt to life in the West.

'DeNiro's Game' is about a teenager living in Lebanon during its civil war, a small-time thug and criminal struggling to make enough money to escape the country without getting dragged into either side of the senseless conflict around him. A frenetic, lyrical, almost hallucinatory writing style carries one through the intense story and surreal scenery, in which even the abandoned stray dogs form vicious mercenary gangs.

'Cockroach' is about a recent immigrant to Canada, a young man who begins the book in court-ordered counselling for an attempted suicide in a public park. Highly delusional, he believes himself a secret insect; capable of crawling down drains and under doorways, both loathing and identifying with the cockroaches that crowd his apartment. A poetic, surprisingly romantic look at mental illness and the immigrant experience.

'Carnival', possibly the most lighthearted of the three, tells the tale of an impoverished, eccentric cabby; a bit of a slob who's obsessed with literature, and has a hopeless infatuation with the young woman who lives in the apartment above his. As he goes about his nightly roster of fares, he finds himself ferrying about drug dealers and strange fetishists, marveling from a distance at the carnival around him, as an unsettling series of cabbie murders plays out in the background.

polymoog

Superstar
i finished a ken lafollet book last night, the man from st. petersburg. i would not recommend.
although a chore to read, i can now get back to my michael cremo book.

polymoog

Superstar
Funny, but i hate Def Leppard. 80s hair metal nearly killed Rock until those cats from the pacific NW saved it :)

Anyway FFF is Trump, its like Phil was a prophet.
no, ballads killed rock through a desire to sell more and become more palatable to the mainstream audience. the genre was no longer edgy which is why the atmosphere was ripe for alternative to blossom.
FFF is similar to trump, but i dont see trump abrogating any civil liberties. perhaps im splitting hairs on this as the bigger picture youve posited is correct. anyway, both of these arguments raised belong on a different thread.

Spiritual books - Plotinus, Plato, Samael Aun Weor, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Fiction - Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky,
Poetry - Rainer Maria Rilke
Philosophy - Nietszhe, Kant

What we would read if we received a true education.

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
Spiritual books - Plotinus, Plato, Samael Aun Weor, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Fiction - Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky,
Poetry - Rainer Maria Rilke
Philosophy - Nietszhe, Kant

What we would read if we received a true education.
Dostoyevsky... blegh. Man had a profound difficulty getting to the point.

Dostoyevsky... blegh. Man had a profound difficulty getting to the point.
He was writing for a time when reading was the central pass time for people, no TV or internet. His books are long, but it allows for a deep study of character psychology that otherwise would be much more thin... But yeah you definitely need to put the time in

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
He was writing for a time when reading was the central pass time for people, no TV or internet. His books are long, but it allows for a deep study of character psychology that otherwise would be much more thin... But yeah you definitely need to put the time in
It wasn't so much the length of the book (I only read one, Dostoevsky's 'Demons' or sometimes 'The Possessed') as just how ponderous it was considering its length. Perhaps Russian just doesn't translate well, but reading my way through it felt like eating a barrel of gruel to reach a single pistachio at the bottom. I mean, I like pistachios, but Jesus.

You’re right, Demons is notorious for taking 200 pages to get going, which is why I never read it. If you take up the Brothers Karamazov or Crime and Punishment though you will find them much more rewarding. Or, a short story, haha.

Nick Danger

Rookie
Good picks Skeptic Cat! I'm reading Secret Societies and Psychological Warfare right now. I've got Proofs of a Conspiracy but haven't read it. The Franklin Cover Up is one of the most disturbing books next to Trance Formation of America by Cathy O'brien. I just picked up The Ultimate Evil by Maury Terry which covers the Son of Sam murders and ties them to a satanic cult called The Process Church. On my list are anything written by Peter Lavenda such as Unholy Alliance and the Sinister Forces series, all of which appear to be very enlightening. Although all of these books are very macabre I read them to better understand the mystery schools so that I can expose it.

515DM5F1AAL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51U-hXS6kKL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

unholyalliance.1_small.gif

sinister-forces-trilogy.jpg

Kais_1

Star
tks for the links guys......keep them coming...

im currently reading DMT a spirit molecule

A clinical psychiatrist explores the effects of DMT, one of the most powerful psychedelics known.
Author Biography
Rick Strassman, M.D., lives in Taos, New Mexico, and is Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.

polymoog

Superstar
nick danger:

i read trance formation of america quite awhile ago, but the cathy obrien story had some credibility issues. i cant recall if it was ted gunderson or another researcher that interviewed her and decided that her story was not true. what she had to gain for telling a fake tale, i dont know. there was also the issue with mark phillips-- it was said that he was simply her new handler. the accuracy might be up in the air, but the machinations of how these sex slaves and their controllers work appear to be accurate.

Nick Danger

Rookie
Yeah, I don't doubt that there is something very sinister and strange about that Trance Formation of America. I've wondered if Mark Phillips was her new handler for sometime now. Also, that some of her memories could have possibly been implanted. However, I don't question that she actually believes what she says (whether under mind control or not or implanted memories). She definitely believes every word she speaks. Also I don't totally throw out that what she says could possibly be entirely true. Either way that book is absolutely one of the most bizarre and disturbing books out there. There is something is seriously f#&*ed up here.