Coronavirus

justjess

Superstar
I don't think we should downplay the effects of this virus, it is clearly something deadly for a proportion of the population.

I think frustrations are growing from conflicting evidence, questionable data and extreme methods of attempting to contain it, yet still seeing people dropping like flies.

My area is a ghost town. Everything is shut, no one is out unless for shopping or important errands. Sure, we take walks but everyone is equipped with gloves (some masks) and no one is congregating outdoors.

People will be losing their homes, have lost their jobs, have no means of income as claims of benefits (we call them universal credits) are still being processed. A million people applied for universal credit (and counting) in the UK within the last few weeks/month...this virus has hit us all hard in one way or another and we have no comfort or source of reassurance...

I am pregnant, out of work and do not qualify for benefits as I am married and in the UK, all benefits are made jointly. They do not assess my husband's finances after tax, which would show them we do need financial aid, but they assess finances based on a pre tax income. How is this fair when he pays over £500 a month just in taxes and national insurance?

Anyway, sorry for the rant but it's a grim situation for everyone.
This shit is airborne. They don’t shut everything down for anything less.

The government generally tells us only 10% of the truth. I wouldn’t expect that to be any different here.

Personally, I prefer poverty to death. I’ve been poor before, I can deal with that shit.

Haich

Superstar
This shit is airborne. They don’t shut everything down for anything less.

The government generally tells us only 10% of the truth. I wouldn’t expect that to be any different here.

At the moment, I don't trust a word coming out of any official or politician. They clearly do not know wtf they are doing...

Months of warning they had, and they dragged their feet which is why we are all experiencing the detrimental effects of this virus.

Awoken2

Superstar
People will be losing their homes, have lost their jobs, have no means of income as claims of benefits (we call them universal credits) are still being processed. A million people applied for universal credit (and counting) in the UK within the last few weeks/month...this virus has hit us all hard in one way or another and we have no comfort or source of reassurance...
This is the natural follow on "as a result of the virus"

...I'm just not buying that part of the narrative right now. We will all have to suffer greatly before a universal solution to the problem can be offered.

....that's what I can see coming down the pipe anyway

justjess

Superstar
At the moment, I don't trust a word coming out of any official or politician. They clearly do not know wtf they are doing...

Months of warning they had, and they dragged their feet which is why we are all experiencing the detrimental effects of this virus.
Just to play devils advocate - by the time even China identified the virus it was likely way too late t avoid this.

China and the WHO and all the governments who dragged their feet and obfuscated the truth should be tried at The Hague for crimes against humanity but at the same time - when we are literally living in a global community already I don’t think there was much of anything that could have been done.

Had the first person who got sick been detected immediately and then the whole Chinese province nuked off the map.. but that’s not real life. No way for immediate detection with a brand new thing no ones ever seen before

Haich

Superstar
Just to play devils advocate - by the time even China identified the virus it was likely way too late t avoid this.

China and the WHO and all the governments who dragged their feet and obfuscated the truth should be tried at The Hague for crimes against humanity but at the same time - when we are literally living in a global community already I don’t think there was much of anything that could have been done.

Had the first person who got sick been detected immediately and then the whole Chinese province nuked off the map.. but that’s not real life. No way for immediate detection with a brand new thing no ones ever seen before
The WHO, China...literally every body of superiority that could have done something should have done more. Many deaths could've been prevented and hospitals could've been better equipped...

Trump sent off ventilators to China thinking the US was somehow immune?? Boris Johnson refused to join the EU scheme where they were sharing ventilators and resources...Brexit was sourced as a reason!

I mean I get where you're coming from but the level of complacency is criminal coming from the people who are now, supposedly so concerned for our welfare and trying to keep nations afloat with borrowed money which will be paid back for generations to come.

justjess

Superstar
The WHO, China...literally every body of superiority that could have done something should have done more. Many deaths could've been prevented and hospitals could've been better equipped...

Trump sent off ventilators to China thinking the US was somehow immune?? Boris Johnson refused to join the EU scheme where they were sharing ventilators and resources...Brexit was sourced as a reason!

I mean I get where you're coming from but the level of complacency is criminal coming from the people who are now, supposedly so concerned for our welfare and trying to keep nations afloat with borrowed money which will be paid back for generations to come.
As I said they should all be tried at The Hague. I agree with you.

The part I don’t agree with was that this could have been entirely prevented. The virus didn’t surface in an isolated native tribe, it surfaced in a global community. By the time what they were dealing with was identified it was already out there - everywhere.

There were a million things these fuckers could have done to mitigate and lessen the impact, they didn’t. And they should be punished for that to the fullest extent. Prioritizing the markets over people’s lives.. I just can’t explain how angry that makes me.

But at the same time they were dealing with the information China was giving.. and Chinese statistics make it look not so bad. China’s statistics are clearly a lie. They should have been treated as a lie from day one.. but how do you do that when all of our economies are so completely intertwined? Trump has business interests there, his merchandise is made there so is his daughters.. im assuming most other world leaders have similar conflicts of interest.

If anything this should just prove our global capitalist experiment is a complete and utter failure that is unsustainable under the pressure of ANY crisis.

Lisa

Superstar
Not good and such a reversal of what trump was able to accomplish..probably shouldn’t get rid of him for the virus and keep him around to keep America great and pumping the economy up..he did it once, he could do it again.

Ten million Americans are now jobless amid coronavirus pandemic after record 6.6million new unemployment claims are filed in one week - after 3.3million last week

The real strategy revealed?
Maher: I'm "Hoping" For "A Crashing Economy" So We Can Get Rid Of Trump, "Bring On The Recession"

Haich

Superstar
Hmmm...
Coronavirus VACCINE that scientists claim can neutralise the deadly virus for at least a year could be approved for human trials 'within months'
I wouldn't trust the daily mail, Lisa.

Their reporting of covid 19 has been atrocious.

Lisa

Superstar
I was wondering if this would happen and what would happen with the homeless...the virus is so catchy...but one homeless person has just now caught it? How is that possible?

First case of Covid-19 on Skid Row has been confirmed: Fears the virus will spread like wildfire through LA's 5,000-strong homeless community who live cramped together on sidewalks with little access to washing facilities

Haich

Superstar
They say what all the others say...so why not read them?
Not all the time, just letting you know that it isn't a great source of info and since you use it a lot, thought I'd tell you.

It's a trashy tabloid paper...no different to The Sun.

Lisa

Superstar
Not all the time, just letting you know that it isn't a great source of info and since you use it a lot, thought I'd tell you.

It's a trashy tabloid paper...no different to The Sun.
They say the same things as other papers...so I don’t see the problem with linking to them.

Lisa

Superstar

Lisa

Superstar
Uh O @Haich

US jobless claims skyrocket to 6.6 million, doubling last week's record, as coronavirus layoffs persist

Maher: I'm "Hoping" For "A Crashing Economy" So We Can Get Rid Of Trump, "Bring On The Recession"