David Brooks: The Nuclear Family was a mistake.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Those changes from the 60s were necessary. The 50s isn’t the pinnacle of civilization and the nuclear family was modern and just covered it’s darkness with an air of respectability.

It wasn’t the 60s that started the collapse of society, it was the Reagan/Thatcher 80s.

I actually enjoy his pieces and this was definitely over the top. He argues that the nuclear family has been detrimental to our well-being and that the best option is to return to an extended family but is that even possible or even feasible? Reading the piece with a conspiratorial mindset makes one actually question if the nuclear family was part of "the plan". I don't think so. I believe it was a natural outgrowth of the Industrial Revolution, which changes to the family structure were seized upon.
So do you argue that he is right? Another angle:

Last edited:

Lyfe

Star
I personally didnt know my biological father. My step father and I never really had much of a relationship either. I was an african american who went to an all white blue collar family school. I would say that the most part it was a good community, small town no violence or anything like that. I noticed that many of my friends and even the community as a whole for the most part had both mothers and fathers active and engaged in their kids life. I noticed that the same individuals grew up and turned out to live fairly healthy lives and have strong marriages. There were also friends I had where the father wasn't present or the parents struggled with some type of chemical dependency, the parents were never around or my friends were never around.

Its from my observation that the individual turnout of someone is a reflection of the strength and unity and involvement of the family they came from.

Lyfe

Star
If you look at urban areas there really is no real positive family structure. The father is MIA. The mom is on welfare and sometimes even has a chemical dependency of her own. You can just see the brokenness and fruit of these societies and I do believe it is, because of a lack of a real family present.

Interesting admission at the end

“everything she proposes is simply the end game of mainstream Progressivism: the abolition of capitalism; the abolition of private property; the abolition of traditional kinship; the abolition of literally every single tradition and institution of Western civilization, to be replaced by the enlightened, peaceful, self-regulated structures of communism – just as Karl Marx envisioned. Family abolitionists like Lewis are mainstream Progressives; what makes them seem extreme is simply their unabashed openness about their aims.”

..and all this because a man and woman have children and live together. They obviously don’t know that their ideologies are a tool used by the dynastic ruling elites and banker families. They destroy everything, and the banks and overarching power structure consolidates. The family is truly hated because the parents have living power over their children, power to pass on tradition, give moral compass, ennoble their human spirit and imagination, and not the state and world order. Of course it needs to be attacked and this power coopted.

Lyfe

Star
The feminist movement was a CIA psychological operation to in part destroy the family unit. It encouraged women to seek careers and a place in the workforce while shedding contemptible light on the stay at home wife and mother. It encouraged women to basically put careers over family. Now though you probably will more often than not be dependent on two incomes to support a family. With both parents in the workforce the state and entertainment industry now mold and influence the mind of the upcoming generation.

The feminist movement was a CIA psychological operation to in part destroy the family unit. It encouraged women to seek careers and a place in the workforce while shedding contemptible light on the stay at home wife and mother. It encouraged women to basically put careers over family. Now though you probably will more often than not be dependent on two incomes to support a family. With both parents in the workforce the state and entertainment industry now mold and influence the mind of the upcoming generation.
Yeah I always wondered why feminism was a movement to masculinize women, get women into the military, make them cut throat business people, make them work through their monthly cycle which is painful for many. Why there’s no movement to empower feminine intuition, nurture, creative stay at home moms, community builders, healers etc. That would make the populace unshakeable. Male and female together have the power to create a human life with all its complex biological, mythological, psychological intelligence. Together they have the power to nurture life too in a unique way.

the new world order is profoundly materialistic, darwinist, and hates inherent value in living things because value is never material, it is always metaphysical but still existent. The impulses driving the nwo hates anything to do with this because if people started to understand truly existent non material things like value, truth, the good, the central driving impulse behind the new world order would be found baseless. That drive is hyper materialism and a hatred for things of the spirit or transcendance

Lyfe

Star
They know the basic building blocks to a healthy society starts with the family. It was a while ago where I was out partying and drinking at some womans house who I met at the bar. She invited me over a second time and I felt very uncomfortable, because her kids were there and not only was drinking going on, but we were listening to some pretty gangster music with all sorts of evil and corrupt messages. She insisted on the music and didnt seem to care her kids were there. I felt grieved, because its one thing to do that in the presence of adults, but not in the presence of just children. Sadly this is the kind of parenting that is being normalized and acceptable. These are the parents of the future and its only going to get worse. They use the entertainment industry to demoralize us and in turn weaken the foundation of the family. I forgot what lecture I heard, but it was from a communist who admitted to intentionally demoralizing the U.S, because they contended that society is easier to control and rule over with an immoral population.

They know the basic building blocks to a healthy society starts with the family. It was a while ago where I was out partying and drinking at some womans house who I met at the bar. She invited me over a second time and I felt very uncomfortable, because her kids were there and not only was drinking going on, but we were listening to some pretty gangster music with all sorts of evil and corrupt messages. She insisted on the music and didnt seem to care her kids were there. I felt grieved, because its one thing to do that in the presence of adults, but not in the presence of just children. Sadly this is the kind of parenting that is being normalized and acceptable. These are the parents of the future and its only going to get worse. They use the entertainment industry to demoralize us and in turn weaken the foundation of the family. I forgot what lecture I heard, but it was from a communist who admitted to intentionally demoralizing the U.S, because they contended that society is easier to control and rule over with an immoral population.
The lecturer was probably Yuri Bezmenov. Yeah that’s an interesting moment. and at some point every person was that child encountering that social control for the first time, music, movies, literally created in a lab for specific social and psychological purposes. You just heard it as if for the first time empathizing with how it sounds to a child. It’s hard for people to accept how deeply the human spirit has been influenced by the impulses driving the new world order,

ishigo

Established
My parents came from a poor country, didn't grew up in the western society. And there is no such thing as having a baby-sitter there, because if you need someone to look afte your kids while you're away, you just ask your neighbors, your friends, your aunts, uncles, etc...You don't have to pay a stranger to look after your kids.

The nuclear family is a patriarchal invention, so it comes off as no surprise that it doesn't benefit women in any way.
Not to mention the abuse that happens inside this nuclear family and that generally goes unnoticed or either ignored by other people.

Karlysymon

Superstar
The UN is at it again...

None of the last vestiges of this independence are off limits, including your family. “This pandemic has exposed the myth of the nuclear family,” the Guardian’s Zoe Williams wrote last month, before columnist Suzanne Moore exhorted“we need to disband the nuclear family for good.” The Washington Post’s Ian Corbin joined in the chorus when he prophesized“the coronavirus might break the nuclear family. That wouldn’t be a bad thing.”

The nuclear family – with all of its patriarchal overtones – has long been the mortal enemy of feminist bloggers and the wannabe lesbian commissars who write for the Guardian. However, the societal shake-up brought about by the coronavirus has given these people fresh impetus to push their ideas into the mainstream.

Single-family dwellings, the cornerstone of American life – are “racist,” liberal think tanks have declared. Homeschooling is evil and “authoritarian,” and perpetuates “white supremacy,” a Harvard professor claimed last week. Individualism itself will fade away, as “science reigns again,” a group of “thinkers” told
Politico.​

another angle

( posting this does not equal a full endorsement)
What Brooks is proposing isn’t even possible in this day and age. Many polls now show that trust, not only in civil institutions but also on an interpersonal level is way down. Inotherwords, people don’t trust each other. “See something, Say something” doesn’t even help things at all. There’s no point in going back to an extended family when people don’t trust and subsequently respect each other. You certainly don’t often hangout with people you don’t trust, now do you? Furthermore, tech advancements have furthered isolationist lifestyles.

From your article:
I want to close by saying a bit about the issue of spousal abuse, one of the ugliest remnants of patriarchy in the modern family. How should a libertarian legal system handle this problem? Today, our predominantly male (and often macho-oriented) police force is well-known for not being particularly helpful at addressing this question.

Regardless of whether you believe in the Fall or not, it is a fact that it’s effects are with us to this day. Both sexes cannot be dominant at the same time. You can even see this in every day relationships. Its near impossible to find two people in a relationship and both of them have strong personalities or characters. There’d be constant power struggles that are certainly exhausting and one person would have to yield.

So if spousal abuse is a remnant of Patriarchy, are we to assume that matriarchy would be devoid of it? Women aren’t beyond abusing their own authority. If men can do it physically, women can sure enough find other ways to inflict spousal abuse. Nature hates vacuums, if you remove one thing another inevitably has to take its place. In Hanna Rosin’s piece (she is a feminist btw), I found her observations pretty interesting:

"Man has been the dominant sex since, well, the dawn of mankind. But for the first time in human history, that is changing—and with shocking speed. Cultural and economic changes always reinforce each other. And the global economy is evolving in a way that is eroding the historical preference for male children, worldwide.

In fact, the more women dominate, the more they behave, fittingly, like the dominant sex. Rates of violence committed by middle-aged women have skyrocketed since the 1980s, and no one knows why. High-profile female killers have been showing up regularly in the news: Amy Bishop, the homicidal Alabama professor; Jihad Jane and her sidekick, Jihad Jamie; the latest generation of Black Widows, responsible for suicide bombings in Russia. In Roman Polanski’s The Ghost Writer, the traditional political wife is rewritten as a cold-blooded killer at the heart of an evil conspiracy. In her recent video Telephone, Lady Gaga, with her infallible radar for the cultural edge, rewrites Thelma and Louise as a story not about elusive female empowerment but about sheer, ruthless power. Instead of killing themselves, she and her girlfriend (played by Beyoncé) kill a bad boyfriend and random others in a homicidal spree and then escape in their yellow pickup truck, Gaga bragging, “We did it, Honey B.”

Vision

Veteran
This is actually interesting, as the Abrahamic faiths encourage us to procreate, live in our communities and support them!

Lyfe

Star
My parents came from a poor country, didn't grew up in the western society. And there is no such thing as having a baby-sitter there, because if you need someone to look afte your kids while you're away, you just ask your neighbors, your friends, your aunts, uncles, etc...You don't have to pay a stranger to look after your kids.

The nuclear family is a patriarchal invention, so it comes off as no surprise that it doesn't benefit women in any way.
Not to mention the abuse that happens inside this nuclear family and that generally goes unnoticed or either ignored by other people.
Doesnt benefit women in any way? So what does benefit women then?

If you take a single woman with no kids in her 40's I guarantee you she will be less content than a woman who is happily married with children. Feminism lied to women....

The traditional family can too often become a mini dictatorship led by the father ( mother too sometimes ) that causes severe emotional trauma. For all the talk here about sex trafficking and p***philia that kind of abuse is done in family more than anything. Often by a father to a daughter or a brother to a sister. Too many women in the 50s and 60s has to suffer through constant abuse and domination with almost no way out. These are also truths about your idea of history. Beneath the veneer of 50s class and style and it’s cheerful wholesomeness was often a deep darkness.
If you truly believe this then will you lead by example and never marry and have kids?

ishigo

Established
Doesnt benefit women in any way? So what does benefit women then?

If you take a single woman with no kids in her 40's I guarantee you she will be less content than a woman who is happily married with children. Feminism lied to women....

If you truly believe this then will you lead by example and never marry and have kids?
Are you a woman? How can you make the blanket statement that every woman on earth aspires to be tied to some man and have kids.

Lyfe

Star
How can you make the blanket statement that the nuclear family doesnt benefit women in any wayy?

Lyfe

Star
So no husband and children for you?

I was talking to Bert btw

Lyfe

Star
That was acctually Berts post where I spoke about leading by example I didnt quote his name when I inserted the quote.

So you will never subject yourself and be part of a "nuclear family' ?

ishigo

Established
Well I don't know if that question is directed at me but I think I made my opinion on the "nuclear family" pretty clear. I'm against patriarchy and marriage (which is a patriarcal institution).