Did Jesus Abolish the law by fulfilling it?

TokiEl

Superstar
I must commend Phipps for teaching truths on this most important point.

She may not get everything right but she got this.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I think whether you identify with the idea of returning to the Mosaic law or regard yourself as under the law of the Spirit, following the Lord is the key.

I don’t see any need to continue filling up the forum with set-piece arguments which have been rolling on for the last 2000 years on whether or not a hypothetical deliberately fleshly disobedient Christian who has no love of the Lord might either be cut off and end up in Hell or experience defeat and discipline in this life and loss of eternal rewards.

Some people might feel they have a good theological case for the former, others for the latter, but to spend undue time promoting this discussion is to ignore the wisdom Paul preaches...

Philippians 3:13-14 (KJV)
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

We should have our eyes set on the thing the Lord has called us to stand for, the “high calling of God”, not spending our time endlessly speculating on what may or may not happen to His unfaithful and unprofitable servants. If we have a living and active relationship with the Lord, we are called to be light in a dark place and salt in an evil world.

A Freeman

Superstar
Considering every single Soul/spirit-Being on this planet that doesn't return to keeping The Law will be reduced to ashes in The Fire on the Last Day (see Mal. 4), it seems crucially important to continue putting forth that TRUTH for all to see and consider.

The "high calling of God" is to DO HIS WILL, which BEGINS with obedience to His Law, exactly as Christ teaches. Anyone claiming to have a "living and active relationship" with the Lord who isn't keeping The Law isn't being honest with themselves or with anyone else, and nothing they say can be trusted.

John 14:21-24
14:21 He that hath my COMMANDments, and KEEPETH them, HE it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
14:22 Jude saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will obey my words: and my Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
14:24 He that loveth me not obeyeth not my sayings: and the Truth which ye hear is NOT MINE, but the Father's which sent me.

For anyone tempted to falsely claim that Christ came with a new set of Commandments that superseded Father's (God's), think again.

John 7:16-19
7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent me.
7:17 If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [whether] I speak of myself.
7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh His glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
7:19 Did not Moses give you The Law, and [yet] none of you keepeth The Law? Why go ye about to kill me?

John 10:30 I and [my] Father are at one.

And for anyone crazy enough to actually think that Paul came to supersede both Christ and Father (God) by doing away with The Law (thereby INCREASING sin/evil/lawlessness), that is a lie as well.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void The Law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish The Law.

Satan wants us to sin/break The Law/do evil to one another and destroy Father's Creation.

Father (God) wants us to keep The Law, i.e. STOP sinning/doing evil to one another and destroying His Beautiful World (
Rev. 11:18).

The sad fact that this subject is even being debated at this point in time is a testament to how little faith there really is here on Earth, exactly as Christ warned (
Luke 18:8).

We are the children of Whom/whom we choose to obey.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Galatians 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

A Freeman

Superstar
Galatians 3 (annotated)
3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the Truth (Christ - John 14:6 , John 14:15, 21-24) before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by “the works of The Law” (ordinances), or by the hearing of faith*?

*Romans 2:13 For not the hearers of The Law [are] just before God, but the DOERS of The Law (The Torah) shall be justified.

3:3
Are ye so foolish? Having begun to be your Spirit, are ye now made perfect by your flesh (your body)?

Romans 8:5-9
8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is NOT subject to The Law of God, neither indeed can it be.
8:8 So then they that are in the ways of flesh cannot please God (because no human can keep The Law as it is alien to them; only a spirit-Being can).
8:9 But ye are not of the flesh, but of the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is not his.

3:4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? If [it be] yet in vain.
3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by “the works of The Law”, or by the hearing of faith**?

**Romans 2:13 (For not the hearers of The Law [are] just before God, but the DOERS of The Law (The Torah) shall be justified.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD also.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The works of The Law” (the ordinances/animal sacrifices) and doing good (Godly) works as we are COMMANDED to do, are clearly NOT the same, or Paul would be contradicting not only himself but Christ, the disciples and all of the prophets.

It would also mean that our changeless God changed His mind, which is not only utterly ridiculous but completely UNSCRIPTURAL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. (because Abraham SHOWED his faith BY his worksJames 2:17-26)
3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are "True in Faith", the same are the children of Abraham.
3:8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the unenlightened through faith, preached THE gospel BEFORE unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed. (There is ONE Gospel and ONE Law/Set of Commandments, just as God and Christ are at ONE in ALL things – John 10:30)
3:9 So then they which be "True in Faith" are blessed with faithful Abraham.
3:10 For as many as are of “the works of The Law” are under the Curse (the penalty clause for not keeping The Law – Deut. 28:15-68): for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in ALL things which are written in the Book of The Law (The Torah) to do them (Deut. 27:26).

Deuteronomy 27:26 Cursed [be] he that confirmeth not [all] the words of this Law to DO them. And all the people shall say, Amen. (so be it)

3:11 But that no man is justified by The Law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith. (and faith without works IS DEADJames 2:17-26)
3:12 And The Law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them (The Commandments) SHALL LIVE in them***.

***John 14:21-24
14:21 He that hath my COMMANDments, and KEEPETH them, HE it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
14:22 Jude saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will obey my words: and my Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
14:24 He that loveth me not obeyeth not my sayings: and the Truth which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the Curse (penalty clause) of The Law (death penalty for not keeping The Covenant), being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:
3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ (Matt. 8:11-12); that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through [being True in] Faith****.

****And showing that Faith just as Abraham did, by DOING good works – Eph. 2:8-10.

3:15 Brethren, I speak after the similitude of men; Though [it be] only a man's covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth (including Paul), or addeth thereto.
3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
3:17 And this I say, [that] The Covenant, that was confirmed before by God in Christ, The Law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, CANNOT DISANNUL, that it should make the promise of none effect*****.

*****Matthew 15:3-9
15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the COMMANDment of God by your Tradition?
15:4 For God Commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
15:5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to [his] father or [his] mother, [It is] a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, [he shall be free]. Thus have ye made the Commandment of God of none effect by your Tradition (Talmud).
15:7 [Ye] hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with [their] lips; but their heart is FAR from me.
15:9 But in vain they do worship Me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men (man-made legislation and doctrine).
3:18 For if the inheritance [be] of The Law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise******.

******And unlike us not keeping our promise (Covenant) to live by The Law, God ALWAYS keeps His Promises, and His Word/Law NEVER changes.

3:19 Wherefore then [serveth] The Law? It was added BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSIONS*******, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator (not in the hands of tens of thousands of priests, pastors, rabbis, imams, etc. “ordained” by men).

*******Transgressing against The Law is the definition of sin (1 John 3:4). Because we stopped listening to and obeying God, Who is the GOOD voice inside of everyone's minds that they think is their conscience, He had to give us His Law IN WRITING, so there would be no excuses for not keeping it.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also The Law: for sin is the transgression of The Law.

1 Tim. 2:5 For [there is] ONE God, and One MEDIATOR between God and men, the Man Jesus Christ;

3:20 Now a mediator is not [a mediator] for one, but God is ONE (NOT a trinity).
3:21 [Is] The Law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given Life, verily righteousness should have been by The Law********.

********If we would have kept The Law, Christ would not have had to suffer the agony of the cross to pay the penalty for OUR LAWLESSNESS.

3:22
But the Scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe [him].
3:23 But before faith came*********, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed (Jer. 31:31-34, Heb. 8:10-12).

*********Faith is trust in God, that He ALWAYS knows what is best and that His Law is PERFECT, Just and Fair for ALL. It is a lack of faith and/or will-power to resist temptation that causes us to sin/break The Law. And when we sin/break The Law, we make a mockery of Christ's Sacrifice.

3:24 Wherefore The Law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith**********.

**********The ONLY way The Law can be a schoolmaster/teacher is IF we study it, learn from it and keep and apply it. There is simply no other way to learn the lessons that can ONLY come from keeping The Law, and ONLY THOSE LESSONS can bring us to Christ.

3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster (but under Christ, Who is The Word/Law made flesh – John 1:14).
3:26 For ye are all the (adopted) children of God (IF ye do His Will) by faith (trust) in Christ Jesus.

John 14:15 IF ye love me, KEEP my COMMANDments.

3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized (with fire, NOT water – Matt. 3:10-11, Mark 1:7-8, Luke 3:16) into Christ have put on Christ.
3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus (IF you keep The COMMANDments – 1 John 2:1-7).

Animal sacrifices to atone for one's sins were abolished at the cross (Eph. 2:15, Col. 2:14) and replaced with "self" sacrifice (Matt. 10:38, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23, Gal. 2:20); BUT THE NATIONAL, MORAL LAW, WITH THE COMMANDMENTS, STATUTES AND JUDGMENTS, IS STILL IN EFFECT TODAY, EXACTLY AS CHRIST TEACHES (Matt. 5:17-20).

It would therefore be extremely foolish to think otherwise. There is no refuge in the letters of Paul from The Law.

phipps

Star
Galatians 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
Again you misunderstand. You need to read the whole chapter.

Galatians 3:19-26.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The covenant made to Abraham was based on faith in Christ as blood Redeemer. Nothing would ever change that covenant promise and its basis of faith. But "because of transgressions" (verse 19), the law was added. Abraham and the other patriarchs, to a great degree, had God's law written in their hearts. They understood and lived by God's high moral code. But as the race degenerated and they lost that heart awareness of high and holy living that is acceptable before God, it became necessary to spell it out for them at Sinai. Thus it seemed "external," though it was the same law, and meant to fulfil the same covenant originally established with Abraham.

Until one understands about faith in Christ, the law is simply a set of rules which have fearful consequences if broken. That's what Paul means when he says, "Before faith came." (verse 23) But the law so clearly points out our shortcomings that we in desperation turn to the very remedy provided by heaven: One from heaven who will forgive repentant sinners! That's when faith springs up, to our salvation. (verse 24) We become "children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." Then the law has accomplished its purpose, and we live by faith as did Abraham and other patriarchs like Enoch, Elijah, etc.

Also given at Sinai were other laws (civil, natural (health) and ceremonial statutes and judgments), which Moses recorded and stored in the side of the ark. These are included, as well, when it speaks of the law here in Galatians.

Those who have been redeemed from the curse of the law are those who have accepted Christ as their personal Saviour and do His will. The Bible does not contradict itself.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Again you misunderstand. You need to read the whole chapter.
OK...

How would you characterise the legalistic deception that the Galatians were warned against? What message were they being given? What alternative message would Paul have them to understand?

phipps

Star
OK...

How would you characterise the legalistic deception that the Galatians were warned against? What message were they being given? What alternative message would Paul have them to understand?
False teachers in Galatia were requiring believers to be circumcised in order to be part of God’s people. Some Gentiles felt excluded from the assurance of salvation provided by the covenant. This naturally led them to "desire to be under law", that is, to become covenant members by receiving circumcision. Circumcision had practically become equated with the covenant. According to Paul, such teaching went against the concept of salvation through Christ (Galatians 1:6-9). Paul was attacking their understanding of the law as a means to be saved.

Paul was saying acceptance of any kind can only be through Christ, not on the grounds of the works (circumcision) of the law (Galatians. 2:16). His point is the law cannot give us life (Galatians 3:20), which is accessible only through Christ. If the law can give life, then Christ’s death was unnecessary.

He was talking to the Gentiles who thought they had to be circumcised in order to be saved. Paul rejected the law as a method of salvation. The law makes us aware of our sinfulness but it cannot resolve the problem. Only through Jesus is sin resolved.

Paul is not easy to understand and we all struggle because at times he seems to contradict himself. Sometimes the law is good and has been fulfilled in Christ (established) and at other times it is bad and has been abolished in Christ. We have to understand the context in which he said what he did about the law. But nowhere in Paul's writings does he even hint that we don't have to obey the law and if we don't we will be saved anyway because we once gave our lives to Christ. Here are few verses that should put such false teachings to rest.

Romans 3:31, "Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law."

Romans 7:12, 14, 16, "Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good."

1 Corinthians 7:19, "Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters."

1 Timothy 1:8, "But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully."

Paul equated the keeping of God's commandments with a working faith and a new life in Christ.

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
I think whether you identify with the idea of returning to the Mosaic law or regard yourself as under the law of the Spirit, following the Lord is the key.
The Ten Commandments written by God on two stone tablets and kept in the Ark of the Covenant can be summarised in Two Commandments.

Love God and your neighbour.

This is God's law.

So for example adultery which is one of the Don'ts... might be making love to your neighbour but it's not loving your neighbour. It's still forbidden by God. We need to be clear on that so people don't think it's ok to cheat. Capishe ?

Can you spot the error in this quote of Paul to the Galatians ?

Gal 5 19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not receive any rewards in the kingdom of God.

Last edited:

Sharon

Rookie
John 14:10-17
10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;
17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you and shall be in you.

Jesus came in the flesh to do His Father’s will. He was the Comforter which is the word of God. The Comforter seeks to do the will of the Father and speaks nothing of his own will. After His death and resurrection, another Comforter was sent to us: the Holy Spirit or the angels which minister the word of God. Like Jesus, they solely follow the Father’s instructions (John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come). The Comforter guides the believers into all truth and understanding. What is truth and how do you get understanding? The word of God is truth; understanding is given to those who keep His commandments, (John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever).

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life(John 14:6) and the living manifestation of the Word (John 1:1-5). To deny the commandments, which weren’t part of the law of animal sacrifices (the law of Moses), is to deny Jesus, who is the Word that became flesh to reconcile the children of Israel back to their God and be the nation of priests God intended. Israel did not acknowledge the Messiah (Isaiah 5 and John 1:11-13). They did not want to keep God’s law and were under bondage to the law of animal sacrifices.

Hebrews 10:1-4
For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
3But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Moses gave them the law of animal sacrifices in the wilderness to keep God from killing their body because “the wages of sin is death”(Romans 6:23).Since they did not keep His commandments which are spiritual and bring everlasting life, God gave them “statutes that were not good” (Ezekiel 20:22-25 22 Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth. 23 I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; 24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols. 25 Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live) so the animals would die in place of the people whenever they sinned, but the law of animal sacrifices could not forgive their sins. Jesus is the prophet Moses prophesied in Deuteronomy 18 who will reestablish His people back to the same priesthood since the beginning of creation, the same priesthood Abraham was under through faith by keeping the commandments—the Order of Melchisedec. Only through the Order of Melchisedec can our sins be forgiven, but we must keep His laws which are spiritual and not under the carnal commandment of the sacrifices.

Hebrews 6:20
Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Hebrews 7:1-3 & 11-17
1For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
2To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
3Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

“Faith come by hearing and hearing by the word of God.”(Romans 10:17) When we repent and begin to keep the laws of God, we are baptized with water which represents the word of God. In Acts 8, there was a group of people who had been baptized by water but did not receive the Holy Spirit. (Acts 8:16 For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Peter returned to them and laid his hands on the people and then the Holy Spirit rested upon them. If after baptism we immediately receive the Holy Spirit, why didn’t these people receive it? Isn’t belief in Jesus enough for salvation like many Christians say? No! Faith without works is dead. Simon, one of the people to receive the Holy Spirit after Peter laid hands on them, believed he could buy the gift of God with money. Peter saw his heart or mind wasn’t right with God. The people had not repented and turned away from their wickedness so the Holy Spirit couldn’t come. (Acts 8:23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.) Repentance means turning away from sin because sin is the transgression of the law of God (1 John 3:4).

Sharon

Rookie
Galatians is also about the law of animal sacrifices.

The Jews during the time Paul wrote Galatians were keeping the animal sacrifices because they didn’t believe Christ was the sacrificial Lamb of God. When Christ died, the veil of the temple ripped(Matthew 27:51 and Hebrews 9:7-11), symbolizing the end of the Levitical priesthood for animal sacrifices and the beginning of the order of Melchisedec under Jesus Christ. Many of the Jews believed the newly converted Gentiles had to keep the law of animal sacrifice. They didn’t understand Christ’s purpose as the sacrificial Lamb of God. Paul said the law is not of faith and Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law (Galatians 3:12-13) by being a curse himself. This can’t be the law of God (Ten Commandments) because the law of God is holy and perfect (Psalm 19:7). The law of animal sacrifice is a curse because any who kept it couldn’t receive eternal life through the promise of Jesus Christ. The did not receive the blood of Christ but we still under the blood of the animals and under the Levitical priesthood. When Christ died and was resurrected, he became our high priest under the Order of Melchisedec.

The Jews believed if they sacrificed an animal to repent of their sin, God would forgive them. They didn’t love God enough to understand that true repentance begins in the heart or mind. David in Psalm 51 said he would have sacrificed to God for forgiveness, but he knew that wasn’t true repentance. Anyone with enough animals could sin as much as they wanted knowing that God would forgive them if all they must do was to kill an animal. That is why David said true sacrifice comes from a contrite, remorseful spirit, and why Paul said this law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. The law of animal sacrifice was to teach people sin had repercussions or punishments.
Faith without works is dead (James 2:17). To show God our faith requires doing the works of the law of God. Abraham showed faith when he obeyed God and almost sacrificed his son Isaac. Only after doing so did God acknowledge Abraham’s righteousness. When we die, God will judge us based on the things written in the books of the law (Revelation 20:11-13).

phipps

Star
Galatians is also about the law of animal sacrifices.

The Jews during the time Paul wrote Galatians were keeping the animal sacrifices because they didn’t believe Christ was the sacrificial Lamb of God. When Christ died, the veil of the temple ripped(Matthew 27:51 and Hebrews 9:7-11), symbolizing the end of the Levitical priesthood for animal sacrifices and the beginning of the order of Melchisedec under Jesus Christ. Many of the Jews believed the newly converted Gentiles had to keep the law of animal sacrifice. They didn’t understand Christ’s purpose as the sacrificial Lamb of God. Paul said the law is not of faith and Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law (Galatians 3:12-13) by being a curse himself. This can’t be the law of God (Ten Commandments) because the law of God is holy and perfect (Psalm 19:7). The law of animal sacrifice is a curse because any who kept it couldn’t receive eternal life through the promise of Jesus Christ. The did not receive the blood of Christ but we still under the blood of the animals and under the Levitical priesthood. When Christ died and was resurrected, he became our high priest under the Order of Melchisedec.

The Jews believed if they sacrificed an animal to repent of their sin, God would forgive them. They didn’t love God enough to understand that true repentance begins in the heart or mind. David in Psalm 51 said he would have sacrificed to God for forgiveness, but he knew that wasn’t true repentance. Anyone with enough animals could sin as much as they wanted knowing that God would forgive them if all they must do was to kill an animal. That is why David said true sacrifice comes from a contrite, remorseful spirit, and why Paul said this law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. The law of animal sacrifice was to teach people sin had repercussions or punishments.
Faith without works is dead (James 2:17). To show God our faith requires doing the works of the law of God. Abraham showed faith when he obeyed God and almost sacrificed his son Isaac. Only after doing so did God acknowledge Abraham’s righteousness. When we die, God will judge us based on the things written in the books of the law (Revelation 20:11-13).
I chose to focus on circimcision but yes Galatians is also about the ceremonial law which was done away with after Jesus was sacrificed on the cross for our sins.

Sharon

Rookie
I chose to focus on circimcision but yes Galatians is also about the ceremonial law which was done away with after Jesus was sacrificed on the cross for our sins.
The circumcision of the foreskin should still be kept too. The circumcision Paul discusses in Galatians wasn't the circumcision of the foreskin but was the law of animal sacrifices. When we accept Christ, we are Abraham's seed and God charged all of the males of his seed to be circumcised. And the promise through Abraham is Jesus Christ who will free us from the sacrifices, and give us eternal life. (Galatians 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, heirs according to the promise. )

Deuteronomy 30:6 KJV
“And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.”

Romans 2:29 KJV
“But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

The word circumcision doesn’t always refer to the physical act, so we can begin to understand the spiritual meaning, how circumcision can also mean to cleanse us from iniquity whether it’s inwardly or outwardly. The law of animal sacrifice was a type of outward circumcision according to the letter of the law. Moses never circumcised the foreskin of a male while he led the children of Israel in the wilderness. He did not circumcise his own son. Zipporah, his wife, did it herself to save Moses from God’s wrath.

Exodus 4:24-25 KJV
24And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him.
25Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

Joshua son of Nun had to circumcise the children born in the wilderness who were now adults. If Moses circumcised the foreskin then he would have circumcised the children born in the wilderness when they were born on the eighth day.

Joshua 5:2-5 KJV
2At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
3And Joshua made him sharp knives and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
4And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.
5Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised.

Because we know Moses never circumcised the foreskin of a male while they were in the wilderness, we know the circumcision discussed in Galatians is not about removing the foreskin. It is about another process of circumcision to keep God from killing his people: the law of animal sacrifices or the Law of Moses.

John 7:21-23
21Jesus answered and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel.
22Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers; ) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
23If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

Moses gave the people circumcision through the law of animal sacrifices (Law of Moses) because of the sins of the fathers (those who Moses led out of Egypt). The fathers built a golden calf which was a major sin against God. By the blood of the animals, they were not killed since sin requires death and blood for atonement. (Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.)

Jesus perfected the Law of Moses by becoming man and living a righteous life, then dying as a perfect, blameless sacrifice for the sins of all those that believed and will believe in Him. That is also why it was unnecessary for Paul to circumcise Titus when Jesus fulfilled the law of animal sacrifice. Paul circumcised Timothy because Timothy was a Greek and outsiders were considered unclean to the Jews. If a Jew were in the company of a Gentile, they would become unclean, because the Gentiles did not keep any of the purification laws through the Law of Moses. However, God showed Peter in a vision in Acts 10 not to call any man common or unclean. Through the blood of Christ, all are cleansed and made new, the middle wall of partition (Ephesians 2:14) which separated the Israelites and Gentiles was broken. The sacrifices for sins and purification by the Law of Moses ended when Jesus died.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The circumcision of the foreskin should still be kept too. The circumcision Paul discusses in Galatians wasn't the circumcision of the foreskin but was the law of animal sacrifices. When we accept Christ, we are Abraham's seed and God charged all of the males of his seed to be circumcised. And the promise through Abraham is Jesus Christ who will free us from the sacrifices, and give us eternal life. (Galatians 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, heirs according to the promise. )

Deuteronomy 30:6 KJV
“And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.”

Romans 2:29 KJV
“But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

The word circumcision doesn’t always refer to the physical act, so we can begin to understand the spiritual meaning, how circumcision can also mean to cleanse us from iniquity whether it’s inwardly or outwardly. The law of animal sacrifice was a type of outward circumcision according to the letter of the law. Moses never circumcised the foreskin of a male while he led the children of Israel in the wilderness. He did not circumcise his own son. Zipporah, his wife, did it herself to save Moses from God’s wrath.

Exodus 4:24-25 KJV
24And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him.
25Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

Joshua son of Nun had to circumcise the children born in the wilderness who were now adults. If Moses circumcised the foreskin then he would have circumcised the children born in the wilderness when they were born on the eighth day.

Joshua 5:2-5 KJV
2At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
3And Joshua made him sharp knives and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
4And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.
5Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised.

Because we know Moses never circumcised the foreskin of a male while they were in the wilderness, we know the circumcision discussed in Galatians is not about removing the foreskin. It is about another process of circumcision to keep God from killing his people: the law of animal sacrifices or the Law of Moses.

John 7:21-23
21Jesus answered and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel.
22Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers; ) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
23If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

Moses gave the people circumcision through the law of animal sacrifices (Law of Moses) because of the sins of the fathers (those who Moses led out of Egypt). The fathers built a golden calf which was a major sin against God. By the blood of the animals, they were not killed since sin requires death and blood for atonement. (Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.)

Jesus perfected the Law of Moses by becoming man and living a righteous life, then dying as a perfect, blameless sacrifice for the sins of all those that believed and will believe in Him. That is also why it was unnecessary for Paul to circumcise Titus when Jesus fulfilled the law of animal sacrifice. Paul circumcised Timothy because Timothy was a Greek and outsiders were considered unclean to the Jews. If a Jew were in the company of a Gentile, they would become unclean, because the Gentiles did not keep any of the purification laws through the Law of Moses. However, God showed Peter in a vision in Acts 10 not to call any man common or unclean. Through the blood of Christ, all are cleansed and made new, the middle wall of partition (Ephesians 2:14) which separated the Israelites and Gentiles was broken. The sacrifices for sins and purification by the Law of Moses ended when Jesus died.
Circumcision as a culture is fine. Paul didn't mind it either but its not a means to being saved. Paul was telling both Gentiles and Jews whether they are circumcised or not is not the issue. They have to accept Christ as their personal saviour and have faith in him.

phipps

Star
How did Matthew himself use that word "fulfill"?

Matthew 3:13-14, "Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?” But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him."

So Jesus fulfilled the rite of baptism. Did He abolish it after He fulfilled it? No, of course not. Matthew, the same writer who tells us Jesus fulfilled the rite of baptism also records Jesus’ command, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…" (Matthew 28:19).

So Jesus did not abolish baptism when He fulfilled that rite, but rather set an example for us to follow. Likewise, Jesus did not abolish the law by fulfilling it, but rather gave us an example to follow.

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
How did Matthew himself use that word "fulfill"?

Matthew 3:13-14, "Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?” But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him."

So Jesus fulfilled the rite of baptism. Did He abolish it after He fulfilled it? No, of course not. Matthew, the same writer who tells us Jesus fulfilled the rite of baptism also records Jesus’ command, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…" (Matthew 28:19).

So Jesus did not abolish baptism when He fulfilled that rite, but rather set an example for us to follow. Likewise, Jesus did not abolish the law by fulfilling it, but rather gave us an example to follow.
Right Jesus did not abolish the Law of loving God and our neighbours.

phipps

Star
Jeremiah 31:31-34, "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Hebrews 8:10-13, "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

When the law is written on our minds and hearts that means we obey them naturally just as Jesus did. He said, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love" (John 15:10).

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
Nonchristians in heaven? The notion is preposterous and satanic.. :D
It's as crazy as saying people who don't like Elvis would be allowed into an Elvis convention, right Elv?

Stephania

Star
I have been surprised what some Christians have told me here about obedience and Jesus fulfilling the law. They've told me its impossible to be fully obedient, that Jesus fulfilled the law (the ten commandments) so we don't have to. I have read that some Christians say that means Jesus did away with the law. But is that what the Bible says and teaches?

Matthew 5:17-19, “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

Does "fulfil" mean to do away with? The Cambridge Dictionary tells me that fulfil means to "do something that is expected, hoped for, or promised, or to cause it to happen:" So doing something that is expected or causing it to happen is not abolishing it.

The Greek word translated “fulfil” in Matthew 5:17 comes from the root word pleroo, which can also means “to make full, to fill, to fill up … to fill to the full” or “to render full, i.e. to complete” (Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Strong’s #4137). Thus, “fulfil” can mean to complete or accomplish, but it can also mean to fill to the full. To cite Matthew 5:17 as proof that Jesus meant, “I did not come to destroy the law, but to end it by fulfilling it” is inconsistent with His words and makes no sense. However, the meaning “fill to the full” does make clear His intent.

Both in His life and in His teaching, Jesus fulfilled the law. That is, He did what is implied by the words “fill to the full.” He magnified God’s law by His perfect example and gave it its full meaning. He emphasized its deep underlying principles and the need for total commitment to it rather than mere external acknowledgment and obedience.

The intent of Jesus’ statement in Matthew 5:17 is, “I did not come to do away with the Law or the Prophets, but I came to uphold them in everything that I say and do.” He did exactly that, showing the holy, spiritual purpose of God’s law, obeying it perfectly in thought and action, in both the letter and in the intent of heart.

However, His being a model Son did not free the rest of God’s children from our responsibilities to our Heavenly Father. By analogy, compare this to a human family. If the oldest sibling in the family of many children was an excellent role model, observing all of the household rules, would his actions free his younger siblings from any obligation to behave? Of course not! So why do people think differently about God’s spiritual family?

Here is a link to read more on the subject according to the Bible.
No he didn't. We are supposed to be Christ like. And Jeremiah said God is going to write the laws on our hearts after repentance and purging of sins.
No wonder anti-christ reighns in this world.
Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law is sheer Satanist Crowley BS

phipps

Star
Nonchristians in heaven? The notion is preposterous and satanic.. :D
It's as crazy as saying people who don't like Elvis would be allowed into an Elvis convention, right Elv?

I think this post is not meant for this thread?