DOOM Eternal game triggers SJWs

Helioform

Star
“My brothers and sisters, let’s help top make our friends transition into our world a comfortable one.”

“Remember: ‘Demon’ can be an offensive term, refer to them as ‘mortally challenged’.”

“Earth is the melting pot of the universe.”

Let me tell you something that you might find surprising.

Culture warriors, especially those on the internet, aren't exactly known for being thick-skinned. It doesn't matter if they are "ess-jay-dubyas" or their right-wing equivalent. These days, you'll find people deeply offended by anything and everything. When Netflix announced the new She-Ra, you had people complaining she wasn't voluptuous enough even though this incarnation is supposed to be younger and that this time she's an orphan raised by the villain, Hordak... Even though that's here original background.

It's silly that anyone saw the comment as an "anti-immigration message", especially considering the hologram was obviously satirizing corporate speech... But I look back to the release and pre-launch trailers of Wolfenstein II, the noise surrounding She-Ra, complaints that the feminists ruined Dead or Alive because of the developers toning down fan-service since that's what the competitive scene said bothered them about the games and they want to get the money from that scene... Well, it's just more yelling about nothing.

On this topic, to counter those videos, I present this one.

The tl;dw of it is the outrage is overstated is that the outrage is vastly overstated; most of the tweets that expressed concern were shared less than ten times and almost every single one of them still think the games look great.

SkepticCat

Veteran
Well, it's true the DOOM games have become a lot more violent. The original DOOM games were considered offensive by many when they were released. Those included shotguns and chainsaws and applying them to demons and zombies. In the new DOOM games it's taken that step further to where actually torturing the demons for bonus points by ripping their heads off with bare hands and such is a game feature. I think that is too much - especially since it's an unnecessary gimmick that doesn't add to the experience, it seems like violence just for the sake of it. There is definitely a progression in the violence and I do think there could be an agenda with it. While I don't really believe in telling kids what they can or can't do (which I consider a form of violence by itself) I really do think these games are NOT for children. However, I'd say anyone with even the most vague ability to discern fact from fiction and games from reality will find there are other forms of violence being seen and shown all around us that are far, far more offensive and concerning - at least when somebody plays DOOM, that person KNOWS he/she will view violence, consenting to seeing it by volition.

TV shows like WestWorld I find much more disturbing, but things like hearing about what 'the Illuminati' are doing and seeing the chemtrails criss-crossing overhead are far, far more traumatizing than any of the rest of it. Really, I do think the DOOM games are extreme - it's just that the rest of society is so overwhelmingly deadeningly desensitized from the real-life horrors we see unfolding that DOOM pales in comparison - it's JUST a video game, after all.

Violent:

Extremely violent, traumatizing:

I do think society as it is today is so violent people don't even realize how bad it is because they've just come to 'accept' (read: traumatized, desensitized into 'accepting') the violence.

Imagine what an actually peaceful world would look like. Can you even do that? Can you get the images of war, nuclear weaponry, homeless people, starving African children etc etc etc out of your head enough to be able to do that?

Aero

Superstar
Sounds like more nitpicking from the postmodernist crowd.

If that's what passes for social justice these days so be it. In that case I dont think we have much to worry about.

The social justice warriors will just drown themselves out with endless and inevitably useless banter.

Helioform

Star
Culture warriors, especially those on the internet, aren't exactly known for being thick-skinned. It doesn't matter if they are "ess-jay-dubyas" or their right-wing equivalent. These days, you'll find people deeply offended by anything and everything.
I am starting to think it was a marketing ploy by Id Software to help sell the game to the people who basically hate SJWs. Some call it "thick skin marketing" and apparently works in selling stuff due to outrage. The guy in the first video was already sold even without seeing the rest of the game or waiting for reviews.

When Netflix announced the new She-Ra, you had people complaining she wasn't voluptuous enough even though this incarnation is supposed to be younger and that this time she's an orphan raised by the villain, Hordak... Even though that's here original background.
The new She-Ra does look kind of ridiculous. She looks like a young boy with the square jaw and the broad shoulders. Not that I am complaining because I don't watch that stuff but it really seemed like the makers wanted to pander to the transgender/lesbian crowd.
In fact, the person behind the reboot is gay. Not that it matters but again it seems weird that there is more and more of this stuff being inserted in popular culture without it being a fair representation of the population.

I am starting to think it was a marketing ploy by Id Software to help sell the game to the people who basically hate SJWs. Some call it "thick skin marketing" and apparently works in selling stuff due to outrage. The guy in the first video was already sold even without seeing the rest of the game or waiting for reviews.
This is likely very true. Especially considering the last big Bethesda shooter, Wolfenstein II, was managed by the same crowd... Because apparently having a black female with an afro in a game that rips off every exploitation film trope is somehow shocking. So put in a joke... And well, people jump on it.

The new She-Ra does look kind of ridiculous. She looks like a young boy with the square jaw and the broad shoulders. Not that I am complaining because I don't watch that stuff but it really seemed like the makers wanted to pander to the transgender/lesbian crowd.
In fact, the person behind the reboot is gay. Not that it matters but again it seems weird that there is more and more of this stuff being inserted in popular culture without it being a fair representation of the population.
People are basing it on one picture. Most of the pics of her when she's not She-Ra have her look feminine as do some of the actual promo art of her as She-Ra. And a lot of folks also forget that She-Ra was always popular with the LGBT crowd, as was He-Man to a lesser degree. I mean, having recently watched some episodes of the original He-Man, I could see why... Intentional or otherwise, there was a lot of homoeroticism.

Aazaad

Established
Has anyone told them doom is literaly satanic? Though if not for that (e.g. literal pentagrams hidden in the games music), the latest games do have a biblical (literal meaning here) theme to them.