Goals/Time Management/Optimal Living

Stumbled across this and thought I'd post it :):

Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.
- Max Ehrmann (1927)

Again, found this in my Quora feed and thought it was worth sharing. She has an informative blog too:

Nela Canovic
Growth mindset hacker, writer, Silicon Valley entrepreneur
Updated 1y

"How do I become a tough and confident person?
Stop making excuses for yourself about why you can’t change anything about your life.
Because it’s not true. It just feels comfortable to do nothing. Maintaining the status quo requires less energy, less thinking, less doing. And yes, in return that’s what you get. Less of a life.
If you admit you’ve been making excuses, that’s step one.
Step two? You make a decision that this year, this month, this week, right now you’ll do something different.
And step three? You experiment. Practice new habits. Like these.
Welcome obstacles into your life.
How often have you told yourself, If only I didn’t have that chocolate ice-cream in the freezer, I would have maintained my diet? In those moments when you’re trying to rationalize your decisions and actions, you’re blaming the obstacles for not achieving your short or long-term goals. Or, to put it differently, you’re giving them top priority and more importance than anything you can do or change with your behavior. But what if obstacles were to serve a different purpose in our life? Instead of using them as an excuse to avoid something or even to quit something, it’s more beneficial if we use them to our advantage.
How can you do this?
In his book Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual, retired US Navy SEAL and author Jocko Willink has a power tip for dealing with obstacles — when you see one, instead of saying, Oh no! you should embrace it and say, Good! Why position an obstacle in a positive light? It’s a subtle switch of your mindset, but it can make a huge difference in how you react to a potentially problematic situation. If you’ve failed at an exam, good! Now you’ll have more time to prep and organize your study days more effectively. If you dropped the ball on the diet you’ve been trying for a week, good! Now you’ll have time to clean out the fridge, clean a meal plan for the week, and schedule a workout every afternoon. If you didn’t get that job offer, good! Now you’ll be able to revamp your resume and apply for jobs that are an even better fit for your skill set.
Practice a growth mindset.
Carol Dweck, professor of psychology at Stanford, wrote the book Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. She makes an important distinction between two mindsets: fixed and growth mindset. If you’ve adopted a fixed mindset, you think being successful is due to good genes, a particular talent or gift, or something you are or aren’t born with but can never change. Succeeding means being perfect every time, achieving results easily and effortlessly, without much preparation or learning anything new. It’s about staying in the comfort zone and repeating what works. The downside to a fixed way of thinking is never stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something that is tough and challenging. Yet that’s where real success happens — in the growth mindset way of thinking.
How can you do this?
To nurture a growth mindset, shift your focus from the end result (making straight A’s in school or getting a promotion at work) to the actual process of becoming successful. A growth mindset person doesn’t think that success is being the best—they believe success is doing their best. You can start by moving away from your comfort zone (doing everything the same way over and over, using the same tools and processes), and towards a zone that’s uncomfortable and new. For example, come up with a better way to improve how you do your work — break down a large task in smaller increments, or tackle a difficult cognitive problem early in the day when your mind can concentrate better. Or, wake up a bit earlier each morning to practice a new fitness habit such as going for a run or swim.
Avoid toxic people at all costs.
Toxic people are everywhere, from the workplace to the family, and often in our circle of friends. They can be extremely negative, repeating how work is impossible, complaining about their lot in life (or suggesting you should see yours the same way), or just focusing on what’s preventing them from being happy. However, they may claim to know what’s best for you, that they care about happens to you, and that’s why their advice is to be careful, not to try anything new, not to move forward. That’s when things can veer off into seeing the world full of impossibilities, instead of possibilities. However, there are ways to deal with their toxicity.
How can you do this?
So maybe you don’t have a choice if your university professor is a pessimist. Work and school don’t give us many opportunities to select who we interact with. However, you can make up for it by being very selective who you spend your free time with. If a relative or school friend wants to call you up to complain or to gossip, just say no. Tell them you’re busy. Don’t engage in awfulizing scenarios and negative banter over the phone. Why not do something important for your personal development, like read a book or start an online course on a topic that fascinates you?
Practice saying NO often.
If you often find yourself running out of time to do what you need or would like to have time for, that means you’re saying yes to too many things, and ultimately wasting time and energy on things that are not that important in the long run. What are some typical real-life examples? Giving in to distractions of any kind, such as spending hours on insignificant activities, pointless conversations, answering every phone call, or indulging in passive forms of entertainment such as watching TV or Netflix for hours. When you say no to distractions, you make a positive change that will impact your daily life and improve the quality of your overall life.
How can you do this?
Exercising your “no” muscle means literally saying no in a variety of situations in your daily life. If there’s leftover cake in the fridge, don’t indulge and eat a double portion for the next three days just because you can. If you’re in the middle of finishing up a project and a friend calls to ask you out, don’t drop everything because you want to please them. Know your priorities — and stay in tune with them. Be aware of what is relevant to your life and why you’re working on something. If you think of it this way, you will be less likely to ignore the things that are beneficial to your personal and professional growth.
Stop making excuses to live a better quality of life.
It’s amazing how much we go through life making excuses for why we cannot do things. We don’t have the time to read books, but we sure make the time to watch TV for three hours straight after dinner. We don’t feel like studying tonight, because we’d much rather hang out with friends and ignore the exam until it’s well past midnight. We don’t want to apply for a new job because it sounds much more challenging than the one we currently have, so we keep the status quo and drag ourselves to work each day feeling unmotivated. It all sounds illogical, doesn’t it? But excuses, no matter their shape or size, are standing in the way of living our life to the fullest. That’s why it’s time to stop making them.
How can you do this?
Here’s where you can really experience what mental toughness is all about. It’s time to put a stop to destructive behavior and bad habits that are not helpful to you and your future self. It’s time to change the way you talk to yourself and also how you see yourself. Don’t coddle yourself; be tough when it comes to setting daily goals. Don’t count on motivation to get you out of bed; set the alarm and as soon as you hear it, get up. Don’t tell yourself you cannot do something; even if you’re not in the mood, just do it anyway. Don’t dwell on past mistakes; focus on what you’ve learned from the situation and move on, even if it’s making a tiny step forward. Today, you may not see yourself as a disciplined person, but tomorrow — it’s a real possibility.
If you liked reading this answer, it’s just one of many that I write on the topic of improving your mindset. Over the past few years I’ve done extensive research on how to switch from a fixed to a growth mindset, and I created tips and hacks that you may find useful. In addition to Quora, I publish more growth mindset resources on my blog. See you there!"

DesertRose

Superstar
PRODUCTIVITY! How to Optimize yours with more wisdom in less time

“It’s not always that we need to do more but rather that we need to focus on less.”* -Nathan W. Morris
1. Managing energy not time is key. (focus on fundamentals such as sleep, nutrition, fitness and brea)
2. Become intense and hustle.
3. 80.20 rule be ruthless and focus on the 20 %.
4. Deep work focus on the one thing. Go on a deep work bubble/time blocking.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
Getting Stuff Done 101: How to Reach Your Potential by Crushing it Day In and Day Out

1. Things that take less than 2 minutes do them.
2. Get the right stuff done.
3. Targets are necessary. Have .a clear goal.
4. All about energy management. Oscillate energy be on and off.
5. Micro and Macro rest.
6. Have systems. Process to achieve the goals
7. Book end your days. Control your a.m and p.m/
8. Create am environment with zero distractions during your time blocks.
9. Success lists versus to/do lists.
10. Get stuff done before they need to be done.
11. Very successful say no to many things. Eliminate time wasters.
12. Tiny habits for finishing things.
13. What does a great day look like for your. Execute a masterpiece day.
14. Your attentions is your number 1 asset. Do not shred attention with social media and other time consuming things.
15. Growth mindset get better daily. (+1)

DesertRose

Superstar
EFFORT - Motivational Video
No one else can give you effort.
Go the extra mile, no excuses.
Run your own race, compete against yourself.
Be the person who will work at things
Are you willing to put in the work?

Another good reference list found on Quora :):

Human Psychology Facts
Posted by Farukh Zameer
Jun 8

Callie Doggett
3y

What are 20 things that are not worth it?

"1. Co-showering. So many people think this is sexy and romantic, as seen in the movies. The reality -- the space is cramped and uncomfortable; you stand around with shampoo in your hair and soap on your body, waiting for your turn under the water; if you're a woman who shaves any parts of your body, you have to do that private thing while contorting awkwardly and with someone watching; a shower is a nice, peaceful time to think, so don't spend it making flirty small talk.
2. Changing your own car's oil. Once upon a time, I actually did this, and it made me feel very capable and self-sufficient...that is, until I realized that I'd been lying on the ground under my car, getting filthy, and ending up with dirty oil that I'd need to take for recycling. There are so many businesses that do quick and economical oil changes.
3. Pricey luggage. There are sturdy, quality items available for very little money. Regardless of the cost, all luggage gets stacked, tossed into airplane underbodies, jostled along the way, and bumped on baggage carousels.
4. Fad diets. There's no food or beverage that will magically "melt fat" or "rev-up metabolism." The only formula = consuming fewer calories + moving more.
5. Road rage. Nothing good comes from this. If you're being followed by an angry, aggressive driver, just pull toward the side of the road and let the person pass. That individual is officially out of your life and no longer your problem; you're unscathed, and you'll never need to encounter him/her again.
6. Trying to reason with someone who's being irrational.
7. Trying to placate a bully. Bullies can smell blood and view sanity and decency as weakness. The only solutions are (a) retreat and avoid, or, if that's not possible, (b) fight back. I've shut down bullies by making direct eye contact and calmly, firmly saying, "I'd like you to leave." I've also had to shock people by raising my voice, showing no fear, and being physically intimidating.
8. Drinking excessively. There's no problem in life that can't be made worse by pouring alcohol over it.
9. Virtual friends. Get out, meet people face-to-face, and have some real life experiences. When you look back on any year of your life, you'll remember the things you did and the friends you shared time with, not all those hours of online banter with strangers.
10. Designer clothing and accessories. The best-dressed, most beautiful people I've ever met dress economically; they know how to recognize quality, find good bargains, and dress with style and confidence.
11. Complaining. Nobody cares, and you make yourself insufferable.
12. Unaffordable weddings. It's the marriage that matters, not the wedding. A courthouse wedding is exactly as valid as one that breaks the budget. If you and/or your family truly have the resources to throw an elaborate event for 200 people, go ahead. But, too many people are trading their equity and financial futures -- emptying IRAs, taking loans, and running-up credit card debt -- to pay for "dream" weddings. This is just plain stupid; don't do it.
13. Gossiping. Sure, we all talk about other people, and it's fine to share someone's good news or spread the word about loss or tragedy. Vicious, back-stabbing gossip is a whole other matter, and it damages the source even more than the victim.
14. Overpaying for college. Nobody should begin his/her adult life with staggering student debt. If your family can pay $70K per year for your baccalaureate degree, without bad consequences, by all means go to a pricey, private school. If you need to leverage that education, however, please don't. Two years of community college is a wonderful value, and the experience can lead to finishing a four-year at a modestly-priced state university.
15. Letting someone waste your time. If you have friends who are chronically late and always keep you waiting, find new friends. When you figure out that a person has embarked on a long, tedious monologue that doesn't interest you in any way, suddenly look at your watch and "need" to make a quick retreat. Time is the most precious commodity, and it can't be regained after it's been lost.
16. Overpriced restaurant meals. It's just food. Certainly, you should eat well and enjoy your meals, but they don't need to be exorbitantly expensive. Don't spend inordinate amounts of money on something that's gone after it's been chewed and swallowed.
17. Tobacco products of any type.
18. Luxury toiletries and cosmetics. Such items have the same ingredients as the products sold by drugstores, but at multiple times the price.
19. Cheap, low-quality cakes, cookies, and pies. If you're going to indulge and consume all those calories, have something delicious.
20. All the time I just spent writing this answer to the question, "What are 20 things that are not worth it?" Seriously, I've been sitting here for too long, and my doggie needs a walk. I did have fun, though! Thank you for reading."

Posting what I thought was an inspiring essay from a professor that has retired. Sound and solid advice to live by, I thought:

Seven Big Lessons from a Retiring Professor
Yellow lightbulb with number seven on it
This article first appeared in the Teaching Professor on July 19, 2017. © Magna Publications. All rights reserved.
It is time to bid farewell to a career I have loved for so long that it now seems entirely too short. Reflecting on 42 years of teaching and some of my missteps, I share here a few of the major lessons I’ve learned.

1. Start with the students. This seemingly simple dictum is surprisingly difficult to apply consistently. As teachers we naturally assume our own perspective, often starting with the “what” (the content) or “how” (the method) rather than the “who.” In planning and in instruction, we must always begin with the students—by understanding who they are, where they are cognitively, emotionally, and socially, as well as why they act as they do. On a daily basis, this involves listening and observing them, and being in touch with campus events and situations that are part of our students’ lives. It means getting to know students as individuals and as a class.
Recalling a time when I totally ignored this principle best illustrates its value. I still distinctly remember that period in early August 1977 right before I started teaching high school Latin. I diligently filled my empty plan book with two weeks’ worth of lessons for my second-year language classes only to discover that they knew very little of first-year Latin. Although teachers will always have to do some planning without specific knowledge of our students, it’s when we truly get to know them that our instruction improves. We become more effective. Teaching becomes easier and learning more relevant and meaningful. I know now that missed the mark in those early days when I planned everything in detail before ever meeting my students.
Even more basic than this notion of keeping students as the focal point of our planning is maintaining a perspective of genuine affinity for students. If we do not like students and communicate that in our words, actions, and most importantly our nonverbals, they can tell! Starting with the students means enjoying being around them. It means keeping in mind the ultimate goal, which is their independence and future career success.
2. Savor the interruptions. A knock at the door, a ring of the phone, an “urgent” email on the screen—some days are nothing but a stream of interruptions. It is easy to become frustrated with those moments that take us off track. However, it’s within these interactions where the real work of teaching often takes place. When students stop by our office or send an email query, these can be powerful teaching opportunities. Some of our best teaching happens in these brief encounters. Some of our greatest joys will arise from these one-on-one visits with students in our office or in those short exchanges before or after class. To welcome student interruptions opens us up to insights that may enrich our teaching and reveal what’s most important about our work.
3. Connect with colleagues. Over my career there have been periods of isolation from my teaching peers. Asking for help did not come easily for me. New faculty are particularly vulnerable to separating themselves from others. Busyness quickly becomes the essence of our existence as teaching professors. With all the demands of a faculty position, who has any extra time? Yet taking time to interact with colleagues within our department, across campus, and at conferences can yield significant payoffs. Some of my best teaching ideas have come from these interactions. Some of my strongest support has sprung from collegial relationships with coworkers.
It’s important to select colleagues of different ages and experiences so that we’re not drawn only to those most like us. The richest conversations and exchanges can come from those who seem most unlike us. Eat lunch with a colleague, take a walk across campus, attend conference sessions together, start a book group—the activity doesn’t really matter—just carve out time to get to know at least a few colleagues well.
4. Remain a learner. No doubt, as teaching professors we are committed to ongoing learning about our disciplinary areas through personal study, research, and participation in conferences. The kind of learning I am referring to here, however, is tackling something out of your comfort zone—something different! Putting ourselves in the role of learner helps us understand and recognize what our students are experiencing as they learn something new—the fears, anxieties, frustrations, and triumphs. It took me years to find the time to do this. The luxury of post-tenure has allowed me more time to truly be a learner. Among other activities, I have taken classes in art journaling and Tai Chi, joined a choral group, and read books for pleasure outside of my usual genre. I think it’s important to share our learning experiences with students so they see us as learners as well.
5. Do a communication sound check. Before performing a concert, musicians always do a sound check to make sure they’re in tune and balanced, and what’s being amplified is clear. If musicians fail to do this pre-show check, the concert will be a lousy experience. As teachers we need to check, doublecheck, and continually re-examine our written (and oral) communications for clarity. And this sound check must be considered from the students’ perspective. Things that are perfectly clear to us can be confusing to students. A teaching colleague or perhaps a former student can be excellent sounding boards for these periodic checks.
6. Keep the “why” central. When we lose sight of why we do what we do, we are more likely to become discouraged, disengaged, or disenchanted. To devote some attention to thinking about our overarching goal, we can start by completing the popular Twitter stem: “I teach because…”. (See #whyiteach for inspiration from other teachers on Twitter.) Knowing our particular “why” will help us keep things in perspective when the daily demands seem overwhelming.
7. Be the one and only you. It does not take long to realize that we can only be ourselves. Doing otherwise takes too much energy. Over the years I’ve seen how my primary role has evolved from being a giver of information to an influencer of development. Now I view teaching primarily as serving students in fulfilling their dreams. (In other work I talk about the joy of teaching and equate “JOY” with the expression “Just Offer Yourself.” For more, see Journey of Joy: Teaching Tips for Reflection, Rejuvenation, and Renewal.)
Each day I try to ask myself: “What gift can I offer my students today?” Although knowledge is a major component of my gift package, even more vital are my gifts of encouragement, high expectations, enthusiasm, and hope. Some students are very discouraged and don’t expect the future to be much better than the present. I aim to help them see a more positive future and to facilitate their ability and independence in reaching their life goals. We must always be aware that the messages our words and deeds communicate to students endure long after they’ve forgotten much of our content. We may truly become the future inner voice that students use as a compass in considering: “What would professor X do?” That is an awesome albeit somewhat scary responsibility. How and when we reply to email queries, what kind of comments we make in class (or outside of class), what values we portray in our attitudes (e.g., acceptance, care, humility)— these behaviors are what impact students most and form our own unique contribution.
Farewell to the BEST Profession: The decision to retire from teaching is never an easy one. However, they say you will know when it’s time. They were right. With mixed emotions, I depart a lifetime of teaching. I doubt I’ll never fully leave the field of education and have started making plans to tutor at the middle school near my house. In the end, it all comes down to doing what matters most—supporting our students. May we not wonder if we have done so.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dr. Patty Phelps will retire in May 2019 after having taught at the University of Central Arkansas for 30 years where she prepared countless middle and high school teachers for their careers in education. She was also involved in the creation of the campus faculty development center.

(source)

Kenny Reo

Rookie
Posting what I thought was an inspiring essay from a professor that has retired. Sound and solid advice to live by, I thought:

Seven Big Lessons from a Retiring Professor

Yellow lightbulb with number seven on it
This article first appeared in the Teaching Professor on July 19, 2017. © Magna Publications. All rights reserved.
It is time to bid farewell to a career I have loved for so long that it now seems entirely too short. Reflecting on 42 years of teaching and some of my missteps, I share here a few of the major lessons I’ve learned.
1. Start with the students. This seemingly simple dictum is surprisingly difficult to apply consistently. As teachers we naturally assume our own perspective, often starting with the “what” (the content) or “how” (the method) rather than the “who.” In planning and in instruction, we must always begin with the students—by understanding who they are, where they are cognitively, emotionally, and socially, as well as why they act as they do. On a daily basis, this involves listening and observing them, and being in touch with campus events and situations that are part of our students’ lives. It means getting to know students as individuals and as a class.
Recalling a time when I totally ignored this principle best illustrates its value. I still distinctly remember that period in early August 1977 right before I started teaching high school Latin. I diligently filled my empty plan book with two weeks’ worth of lessons for my second-year language classes only to discover that they knew very little of first-year Latin. Although teachers will always have to do some planning without specific knowledge of our students, it’s when we truly get to know them that our instruction improves. We become more effective. Teaching becomes easier and learning more relevant and meaningful. I know now that missed the mark in those early days when I planned everything in detail before ever meeting my students.
Even more basic than this notion of keeping students as the focal point of our planning is maintaining a perspective of genuine affinity for students. If we do not like students and communicate that in our words, actions, and most importantly our nonverbals, they can tell! Starting with the students means enjoying being around them. It means keeping in mind the ultimate goal, which is their independence and future career success.
2. Savor the interruptions. A knock at the door, a ring of the phone, an “urgent” email on the screen—some days are nothing but a stream of interruptions. It is easy to become frustrated with those moments that take us off track. However, it’s within these interactions where the real work of teaching often takes place. When students stop by our office or send an email query, these can be powerful teaching opportunities. Some of our best teaching happens in these brief encounters. Some of our greatest joys will arise from these one-on-one visits with students in our office or in those short exchanges before or after class. To welcome student interruptions opens us up to insights that may enrich our teaching and reveal what’s most important about our work.
3. Connect with colleagues. Over my career there have been periods of isolation from my teaching peers. Asking for help did not come easily for me. New faculty are particularly vulnerable to separating themselves from others. Busyness quickly becomes the essence of our existence as teaching professors. With all the demands of a faculty position, who has any extra time? Yet taking time to interact with colleagues within our department, across campus, and at conferences can yield significant payoffs. Some of my best teaching ideas have come from these interactions. Some of my strongest support has sprung from collegial relationships with coworkers.
It’s important to select colleagues of different ages and experiences so that we’re not drawn only to those most like us. The richest conversations and exchanges can come from those who seem most unlike us. Eat lunch with a colleague, take a walk across campus, attend conference sessions together, start a book group—the activity doesn’t really matter—just carve out time to get to know at least a few colleagues well.
4. Remain a learner. No doubt, as teaching professors we are committed to ongoing learning about our disciplinary areas through personal study, research, and participation in conferences. The kind of learning I am referring to here, however, is tackling something out of your comfort zone—something different! Putting ourselves in the role of learner helps us understand and recognize what our students are experiencing as they learn something new—the fears, anxieties, frustrations, and triumphs. It took me years to find the time to do this. The luxury of post-tenure has allowed me more time to truly be a learner. Among other activities, I have taken classes in art journaling and Tai Chi, joined a choral group, and read books for pleasure outside of my usual genre. I think it’s important to share our learning experiences with students so they see us as learners as well.
5. Do a communication sound check. Before performing a concert, musicians always do a sound check to make sure they’re in tune and balanced, and what’s being amplified is clear. If musicians fail to do this pre-show check, the concert will be a lousy experience. As teachers we need to check, doublecheck, and continually re-examine our written (and oral) communications for clarity. And this sound check must be considered from the students’ perspective. Things that are perfectly clear to us can be confusing to students. A teaching colleague or perhaps a former student can be excellent sounding boards for these periodic checks.
6. Keep the “why” central. When we lose sight of why we do what we do, we are more likely to become discouraged, disengaged, or disenchanted. To devote some attention to thinking about our overarching goal, we can start by completing the popular Twitter stem: “I teach because…”. (See #whyiteach for inspiration from other teachers on Twitter.) Knowing our particular “why” will help us keep things in perspective when the daily demands seem overwhelming.
7. Be the one and only you. It does not take long to realize that we can only be ourselves. Doing otherwise takes too much energy. Over the years I’ve seen how my primary role has evolved from being a giver of information to an influencer of development. Now I view teaching primarily as serving students in fulfilling their dreams. (In other work I talk about the joy of teaching and equate “JOY” with the expression “Just Offer Yourself.” For more, see Journey of Joy: Teaching Tips for Reflection, Rejuvenation, and Renewal.)
Each day I try to ask myself: “What gift can I offer my students today?” Although knowledge is a major component of my gift package, even more vital are my gifts of encouragement, high expectations, enthusiasm, and hope. Some students are very discouraged and don’t expect the future to be much better than the present. I aim to help them see a more positive future and to facilitate their ability and independence in reaching their life goals. We must always be aware that the messages our words and deeds communicate to students endure long after they’ve forgotten much of our content. We may truly become the future inner voice that students use as a compass in considering: “What would professor X do?” That is an awesome albeit somewhat scary responsibility. How and when we reply to email queries, what kind of comments we make in class (or outside of class), what values we portray in our attitudes (e.g., acceptance, care, humility)— these behaviors are what impact students most and form our own unique contribution.
Farewell to the BEST Profession: The decision to retire from teaching is never an easy one. However, they say you will know when it’s time. They were right. With mixed emotions, I depart a lifetime of teaching. I doubt I’ll never fully leave the field of education and have started making plans to tutor at the middle school near my house. In the end, it all comes down to doing what matters most—supporting our students. May we not wonder if we have done so.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dr. Patty Phelps will retire in May 2019 after having taught at the University of Central Arkansas for 30 years where she prepared countless middle and high school teachers for their careers in education. She was also involved in the creation of the campus faculty development center.

(source)
Liked this! Thanks!