Hey VC what's with all the spam?

rainerann

Star
I think someone is trolling. I put all the spammers on ignore when I log in so it doesn't bother me, but the people who are lurking must find it a pain to navigate to the threads that are not spam, which is probably the goal of the spamming. They clutter up the first page of all the forums and so no one can read all the brilliant and insightful things people are saying around here. :)

Thunderian

Superstar
the people who are lurking must find it a pain to navigate to the threads that are not spam
In my carefully considered and always humble opinion, VC could do more to encourage traffic on this site. Having a spam-free board would be nice for us, and more inviting to visitors and lurkers.

I would like to see a lot more active members here, and having to wade through dozens of spam threads to find the golden chunks of wisdom larded throughout must be discouraging. For the name recognition @VigilantCitizen has, this board should be a lot busier. The lack of board maintenance may have something to do with it.

Aero

Superstar
It's a computer program. It's designed to search for sites online with easy login and signup features. It automates the sign up process than proceeds to spam posts and links to a web site.

I'm surprised people are still doing that because it doesn't help your site rank better. And certainly spamming VC isn't going to help your web sites relevancy. Unless it's all about symbolism.

rainerann

Star
In my carefully considered and always humble opinion, VC could do more to encourage traffic on this site. Having a spam-free board would be nice for us, and more inviting to visitors and lurkers.

I would like to see a lot more active members here, and having to wade through dozens of spam threads to find the golden chunks of wisdom larded throughout must be discouraging. For the name recognition @VigilantCitizen has, this board should be a lot busier. The lack of board maintenance may have something to do with it.
Yah, I don't know. It kind of makes me feel like we must be doing something right. A little bit of opposition is good for the soul and provides some evidence of the search for truth.

Tikawanda

Established
This happens several times per month, and it's been happening for years. There's no fix, apparently.

Vytas

Star
I registered like year ago, so i don't remember was there any anti robot protection? These must be spam robots, so there are ways to deal with them...Also on last forum we had that thing when you cant create threads before you have certain amount of posts... That would help i think...

TonyVanDam

Established

We need moderators like more than a year ago.

elsbet

Superstar
I think someone is trolling. I put all the spammers on ignore when I log in so it doesn't bother me, but the people who are lurking must find it a pain to navigate to the threads that are not spam, which is probably the goal of the spamming. They clutter up the first page of all the forums and so no one can read all the brilliant and insightful things people are saying around here. :)
That's a good idea.. Thanks, @rainerann

Helioform

Star
I registered like year ago, so i don't remember was there any anti robot protection? These must be spam robots, so there are ways to deal with them...Also on last forum we had that thing when you cant create threads before you have certain amount of posts... That would help i think...
Or a certain amount of likes or with a reputation point system. Spam bots can be programmed to answer threads for a determined amount of times so they could bypass this.

VigilantCitizen

Administrator
Moving this thread to the Questions and Suggestions forum.
I've added some new security measures to prevent spam. However, human spammers are difficult to completely block. The best thing you can do to help is to report spam threads which allows me to delete and ban ASAP. Thanks.