Is it necessary to cite sources?

BananaLaser

Veteran
Hi, whenever you research a topic and then do a deep dive of it on here, is it necessary to make citations of where the information in your deep dive on here came from?

Hi, whenever you research a topic and then do a deep dive of it on here, is it necessary to make citations of where the information in your deep dive on here came from?
Eh, i like to, that way whoever reads it can continue their own research if they would like. Sometimes there's so much information about the topic that it wouldn't all fit on a thread.

Or sometimes it's useful knowing where the info comes from, like if the original source has a bias or agenda.

But i wouldn't say it's required - it's not a term paper :)

BananaLaser

Veteran
Eh, i like to, that way whoever reads it can continue their own research if they would like. Sometimes there's so much information about the topic that it wouldn't all fit on a thread.

Or sometimes it's useful knowing where the info comes from, like if the original source has a bias or agenda.

But i wouldn't say it's required - it's not a term paper :)
Alright, thank you for the clarification! Yeah I didn’t think it would be necessary, but I just wanted to make sure incase I would get in trouble over not citing sources.

JoChris

Superstar
Alright, thank you for the clarification! Yeah I didn’t think it would be necessary, but I just wanted to make sure incase I would get in trouble over not citing sources.
My policy is to always cite sources I have used for several reasons.
You never know, some people might actually find a link/ links useful for whatever reason.
I also view plagarism as an absolute a no-no. If I am quoting/ paraphrasing someone to make a point, they deserve the credit.