Jesus Revealed In The Old Testement Feasts

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I looked into this one a few years ago and found it really interesting...

"Maybe you’ve heard of Passover or Yom Kippur, but did you know that there are seven total feasts prescribed in the Bible? These holy days contain precise prophetic details about the first and second coming of Jesus Christ.

Spend some time digging deeper into the Jewish roots of our Christian faith with this quick overview of the Biblical feasts and their past and future fulfillment."

An interesting study for anyone who is interested in finding Jesus in the OT...

Karlysymon

Superstar
[Looked around for a thread in which to post this, and this might be appropriate.]

The three Abrahamic faiths: Judaism, Islam and Christianity. We can all accuse each other of being false belief systems and that we have 'fake' books, passing as Holy Writ but the beauty of it all is that we claim the same Patriarchs. Moses was summoned to the mountain and given the stone tablets and the ceremonial laws. He was shown the heavenly sanctuary, after which, he was to make a pattern; the ark and all the sanctuary services, all foreshadowing Christ's work on behalf of man at the cross and after the ascencion (as his Intercessor). God's message is consistent. Hence, for someone, centuries later, to show up and directly deny or claim inspiration from God that contradicts that same God's instructions to Moses says alot about that person or the movement they found. Clearly, God took the time to emphasise the sacrificial system and 1000+ years later (Malachi 1:6-8), wasn't happy that the priests were offering blemished sacrifices. Why do this, for millenia, and then turn around and say, "Oh! It was all a joke. It doesn't mean anything! No one is supposed to die." And the prophecies? That pointed to the One who would fulfil them, who was foreshadowed in the unblemished sacrificial lamb....it was all a joke, right? Inconsequential stuff, i guess.
Anyways, everyone and their own soul.

With the nation of Israel( Judah, that is) deep in apostasy, Jeremiah (the Weeping prophet) cried out:
This is what the LORD says;
Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, “We will not walk in
it.” (6:16)

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
...and a few years after the Crucifiction, after the veil to the Holy of Holies was torn in two, the Temple was destroyed and along with it, the legal ability to establish the line of David lost with the destruction of the geneological records....

Yohanan ben Zakai then formulates 'rabbinic Judaism' in rejection of Paul's message as the whole Jewish faith needs to be reinvented after they reject their Messiah.

Kind of pointing in one direction here!

Mr. Blah

Veteran
"The holy feasts" in mainstream Christianity are the product of syncretism between Jewish Christianity with Roman paganism.

Christians are successfully deceived with this false doctrine for 1700 years since the era of Constantine the Great.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
"The holy feasts" in mainstream Christianity are the product of syncretism between Jewish Christianity with Roman paganism.

Christians are successfully deceived with this false doctrine for 1700 years since the era of Constantine the Great.
No way! There was me thinking they were in the Torah! Thanks for straightening me out ;-)

Sorry for the sarcasm - do you mean the Catholic feasts or the actual Jewish ones (giving your comment the benefit of the doubt...)

Lady

Star

I'm sorry, which holy feasts?

Lady

Star
...and a few years after the Crucifiction, after the veil to the Holy of Holies was torn in two, the Temple was destroyed and along with it, the legal ability to establish the line of David lost with the destruction of the geneological records....

Yohanan ben Zakai then formulates 'rabbinic Judaism' in rejection of Paul's message as the whole Jewish faith needs to be reinvented after they reject their Messiah.

Good information. I really never pieced it together in the manner that you have stated. It really puts some of the puzzle pieces together for me as I did not pinpoint how anti-Pauline Judaism is.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Please don't think I believe God had finished with the Jews... There is more of the story yet to play out...

Lady

Star
Please don't think I believe God had finished with the Jews... There is more of the story yet to play out...
Oh yeah, don't we know it? :oops:
God has not forgotten His people, and is calling them to repentance and to follow the TRUE path of salvation in Christ. Not all Jewish hearts are hardened against Him!

Mr. Blah

Veteran
No way! There was me thinking they were in the Torah! Thanks for straightening me out ;-)

Sorry for the sarcasm - do you mean the Catholic feasts or the actual Jewish ones (giving your comment the benefit of the doubt...)
Both Eastern & Western Church. Eastern Orthodoxy & Catholic feasts and their Protestant derivatives.

Thanks for Messianic Jewish movement who awakens Christians to aware the Jewishness of Christianity.

Serveto

Star
Thanks for Messianic Jewish movement who awakens Christians to aware the Jewishness of Christianity.
I would think twice before leaving Christianity for Purim, for example. The gorgeous "Esther" bears a strong resemblance to Astarte, and "Mordechai" seems, more than merely etymologically, related to Marduk. It seems to me that if Christianity is in many respects "syncretistic," that is also true of Judaism. With that said, I agree that Christians are well advised to consider the Hebrew and Aramaic traditions, or ground, from which their religion originally grew (and not just as it relates to this issue of possible, or probable, syncretisms).

Last edited:

Mr. Blah

Veteran
I'm sorry, which holy feasts?
First. Saturday Sabbath was replaced with Sunday. Ignatius of Antioch was the first initiator of this shift.
"Be not seduced by strange doctrines nor by antiquated fables, which are profitless. For if even unto this day we live after the manner of Judaism, we avow that we have not received grace ... If then those who had walked in ancient practices attained unto newness of hope, no longer observing Sabbaths but fashioning their lives after the Lord's day, on which our life also arose through Him and through His death which some men deny ... how shall we be able to live apart from Him? ... It is monstrous to talk of Jesus Christ and to practise Judaism. For Christianity did not believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity" — Ignatius to the Magnesians 8:1, 9:1-2, 10:3, Lightfoot translation.

Birth of Jesus - Fall festival of Sukkot - replaced with winter Christmas, formerly the birth of Sol Invicti.
Jewish Pesach - replaced with Easter, a stripped-off version of Passover Seder.

The first generation after the twelve Jewish disciples, the "gentilization" of Christianity began.

Last edited:

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Even Christians don't commemorate Festival of Dedication (Chanukah) although it is written in NT (John 10:22–23).

“Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon's Colonnade”

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Both Eastern & Western Church. Eastern Orthodoxy & Catholic feasts and their Protestant derivatives.

Perhaps the point here is that Christians are not religiously bound to specific days and times so felt quite within their remit to celebrate their important days on the Feast days of pagan religions. I don't think this automatically makes them null and void because you could argue that this was very much in the spirit of "I will build my Church and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it".

I still think there is much to be learned by Christians from an understanding of the spring and autumn feasts as a pattern of Jesus ministry, death, resurection and return. Any Christian who takes the statement "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" seriously should check out the pattern of these feasts and their implications...

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Perhaps the point here is that Christians are not religiously bound to specific days and times so felt quite within their remit to celebrate their important days on the Feast days of pagan religions. I don't think this automatically makes them null and void because you could argue that this was very much in the spirit of "I will build my Church and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it".

I still think there is much to be learned by Christians from an understanding of the spring and autumn feasts as a pattern of Jesus ministry, death, resurection and return. Any Christian who takes the statement "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" seriously should check out the pattern of these feasts and their implications...
Are they God's appointed times?
How dare they who were mere mortals changed what God had appointed long before!

These changes caused some oppositions from another Christian faction, for example Quartodecimans, a Christian faction who still celebrated Passover in its original date, 14th Nisan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartodecimanism

Mr. Blah

Veteran
I would think twice before leaving Christianity for Purim, for example. The gorgeous "Esther" bears a strong resemblance to Astarte, and "Mordechai" seems, more than merely etymologically, related to Marduk. It seems to me that if Christianity is in many respects "synchretistic," that is also true of Judaism. With that said, I agree that Christians are well advised to consider the Hebrew and Aramaic traditions, or ground, from which their religion originally grew (and not just as it relates to this issue of possible, or probable, synchretisms).
Despite of many similarities between Judaism and its neighboring religions, there are still many things which makes Judaism unique.
They are rules of Sabbath, Jewish Holy Days, regulations of Levitical priesthood, etc.

Anyways, everyone and their own soul.

With the nation of Israel(collectively) deep in apostasy, Jeremiah (the Weeping prophet) cried out:
This is what the LORD says;
Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, “We will not walk in it.” (6:16)
I'm glad you mentioned 'souls'. That's a beautiful verse and profound that it can have different meanings for us of different faiths. To me it is saying that God's religion is one since the beginning of time - it is the path of righteousness, the way of good and to good, it gives rest to the soul because it is what the soul knows to be the truth. All of the People of the Book are called to walk in God's Path just like Abraham, Moses, and Jeremiah did ... some will humbly accept and others will arrogantly refuse, but to those who submitted to God and walked in His Path, it will be said:

"O (thou) soul, in (complete) rest and satisfaction! "Come back thou to thy Lord,- well pleased (thyself), and well-pleasing unto Him!

I pray God guides our souls to what is good for them in this life and the Next, Amen.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Are they God's appointed times?
How dare they who were mere mortals changed what God had appointed long before!

These changes caused some oppositions from another Christian faction, for example Quartodecimans, a Christian faction who still celebrated Passover in its original date, 14th Nisan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartodecimanism
In saying I am not down on Christians for not observing certain feasts etc it is in the spirit of Romans 14

5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.8For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

In that spirit, I note both Jewish and Christian festivals (but not out of religious observance or 'hebrew roots' kind of thing).

The book of Galatians covers this question the best.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I'm glad you mentioned 'souls'. That's a beautiful verse and profound that it can have different meanings for us of different faiths. To me it is saying that God's religion is one since the beginning of time - it is the path of righteousness, the way of good and to good, it gives rest to the soul because it is what the soul knows to be the truth. All of the People of the Book are called to walk in God's Path just like Abraham, Moses, and Jeremiah did ... some will humbly accept and others will arrogantly refuse, but to those who submitted to God and walked in His Path, it will be said:

"O (thou) soul, in (complete) rest and satisfaction! "Come back thou to thy Lord,- well pleased (thyself), and well-pleasing unto Him!

I pray God guides our souls to what is good for them in this life and the Next, Amen.
Beautiful and profound indeed. And you are right, there is only one truth. Truth is standard/consistent, regardless of the messenger and He hasn't left us groping in the dark as to what it is.
And i will say that though, theologically, we do not see eye to eye, you are dearly loved, as a forum-sister!

Karlysymon

Superstar

You bring up an interesting point which lays bare an inconsistency in Christianity, today. We (Christians) are happy to tell everyone how Christ fulfillfed the Law and is man's intercessor in the Most Holy place since that curtain was "rent in twain" and yet we are, at the same time strongly supporting Jewish efforts of rebuilding the temple so that "things can be the way they were before". Isn't that odd? What purpose has God for re-instating the sacrificial system? And what is it foreshadowing? The argument in favour is that it was prophecied and God will use the whole thing to get the Jews to repent. I don't see how that worked 2000 before Christ (the 2 temples), as they were in and out of exile. Why would it work now?

Evangelical Christians can sleep-walk through this but in all honesty, subconsciously (?) or consciously for others, its a direct denial of the cross and His on-going ministry in the heavens for EVERYONE, even if iam cheering the efforts on the side-lines. It is a terrifying reality that the re-building of the temple (for the 3rd time) is a mainstream belief in evangelical Christianity, more so because of a supposed bearing in eschatology. That also brings into question the many end-time aspects tied to the temple. It would then reveal them to be lies, biblically unfounded, even though people will twist scripture to prove their stance. Is this laying the ground for Christ to return contrary to peoples' expectations? How did we get here?
How is this any different from faiths that deny the crucifixion. How am i, any different from Annas or Caiaphas? To support those Jewish efforts is to stand where the Sanhedrin stood 2000yrs ago. People can get excited about red heifers, Cohens (apparently they carry Levite DNA) and developments around the Temple Mount, but the enemy isn't sleeping. Same deception, different garb. Only this time, it seems so subtle.