Jordan Peterson Lecture

Helioform

Star
Really good lecture. Reminded me of a quote from Deus Ex:

"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning. God was a dream of good government."

Illuminized

Established
He's a great speaker, undoubtedly, but considering what he read since his childhood, I'm wary about giving too much heed to him.

The wiki lists as influences: George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, and Ayn Rand, two of which were dystopian writers (inculcating fatalism and pessimism) and Rand was pretty messed up in the head, elevating human reason over religion (human reason alone cannot solve our problems) and rejecting altruism (which is a natural occurence). Solzhenitsyn, despite relating events of Soviet atrocities from a Christian perspective, seems to have at least inoculated Mr. Peterson against Communism.

He equates the radical left with Marxists who he says are no better than Nazis and says he won’t be the tool of a “murderous ideology.”
The Nazis were able to win over many former Communists to their side because they perceived that the Communists had nowhere better to turn to. The people who came over to Communism were often denied a look at other worldviews.

Anyhow, a man beset by fear is obviously not in his best mindset. It's uncertain how much of it remains with him today.

“I was obsessed by the Cold War,” he said. “I had nightmares about nuclear destruction on a regular basis. And by the time I was 17, that’s pretty much all I was ever thinking about.”

Last edited:

Helioform

Star
Whatever his influences, I think he looked at the problem in a rather neutral way. I didn't see him condemn religion, although it was only a partial video.

Illuminized

Established
To start off, I think the pyramids fall exclusively under works of art. If you substituted the pyramids with temples like in Greece or Rome, that'd have eliminated any hint of political significance. No one would mistake those temples for political expressions. They're merely expressions of art. But since the pyramids have that odd shape and that capstone, it's been long interpreted as a mysterious symbol.

Mr. Peterson at least admits that his view is speculation, that's commendable.

Helioform

Star
They're merely expressions of art. But since the pyramids have that odd shape and that capstone, it's been long interpreted as a mysterious symbol.
I think they can be both art and a representation of hierarchies. The larger base of the pyramid represents the "multitude" who support the higher echelons by working while the upper echelons oversee the lower ones.

Mr. Peterson at least admits that his view is speculation, that's commendable.
Yeah I have done some research on him and he seems like a sincere person who is very interested in dialogue.