Narcissistic Clusters

cajun

Established
One of the common traits of a person with the clinical form of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, the kind often referred to as "severe" or "malignant", is a tendency to seek out complementary individuals who can be manipulated and directed at others. A severe NPD is not just a self-involved person who craves attention and flattery. This kind of person has a streak of paranoia and often becomes dangerous because he (or she) can become obsessed with destroying anyone who fails to comply with the NPD's plans, who seeks escape from the relationship or who criticizes the NPD's plan.

Such NPD's usually have some kind of plan that they expect their cluster to serve. They often become dangerous to children both because they might (but don't always) see the child as a sex object but also because they cannot allow a child to grow up. They will not stop until they have destroyed and even killed that child for what they see as the crime of growing a separate self.

If you notice an NPD of this type successfully forming an attack cluster and siccing that cluster on his young adult child, what would you do?

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Not totally sure I'm following here but...

I would divide and conquer. Find the weakest link of the cluster and either eliminate them or turn them. Every little bit of influence you take away from someone counts, and the weak links go down easy.

cajun

Established

I would divide and conquer. Find the weakest link of the cluster and either eliminate them or turn them. Every little bit of influence you take away from someone counts, and the weak links go down easy.

Thank you. What I am doing is isolating the NPD and identifying the active "lieutenants" in his cluster. He got my attention when I rejected his attempt to recruit me into his cluster. I then discovered how bad it was when he showed the paranoid delusional part by identifying me wiith his estranged daughter and he got his crew to join him in a hatefest/pityparty, tagging my name. I went ballistic when I saw that. I decided that if he wants a fight, I'll be happy to oblige. I started calling him out in videos.

God must have put me through all the hardships I have suffered at the hands of an NPD sibling and an NPD husband for a reason.

Aero

Superstar
Yes they tend to show their cards plainly. That's why you should be sneaky. I think I've kind of been in that sort of situation. Knowing I could win the fight at any point, but keeping my distance. Making moves here and there. You know? Just poking them a little bit, or setting bait in a trap.

A true cult leader typically wont trip over themselves. But his lieutenants will.

JoChris

Superstar
One of the common traits of a person with the clinical form of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, the kind often referred to as "severe" or "malignant", is a tendency to seek out complementary individuals who can be manipulated and directed at others. A severe NPD is not just a self-involved person who craves attention and flattery. This kind of person has a streak of paranoia and often becomes dangerous because he (or she) can become obsessed with destroying anyone who fails to comply with the NPD's plans, who seeks escape from the relationship or who criticizes the NPD's plan.

Such NPD's usually have some kinf of plan that they expect their cluster to serve. They often become dangerous to children both because they might (but don't always) see the child as a sex object but also because they cannot allow a child to grow up. They will not stop until they have destroyed and even killed that child for what they see as the crime of growing a separate self.

If you notice an NPD of this type successfully forming an attack cluster and siccing that cluster on his young adult child, what would you do?
Direct/ perceived attack of a true malignant narcissist is unwise. They will attack the rescuer/s if and when they can get away with it.

Personally I would take the backdoor route and give or arrange support to the victim as appropriate. The victim may still believe all the lies and manipulations of the Narcissist, or they may be already prepared to leave (they're looking for the green light GO). Safety first, for both victim and rescuers.

JoChris

Superstar
Thank you. What I am doing is isolating the NPD and identifying the active "lieutenants" in his cluster. He got my attention when I rejected his attempt to recruit me into his cluster. I then discovered how bad it was when he showed the paranoid delusional part by identifying me wiith his estranged daughter and he got his crew to join him in a hatefest/pityparty, tagging my name. I went ballistic when I saw that. I decided that if he wants a fight, I'll be happy to oblige. I started calling him out in videos.

God must have put me through all the hardships I have suffered at the hands of an NPD sibling and an NPD husband for a reason.
Have you ever read the psychotherapist M. Scott Peck's "People of the Lie" book? https://openlibrary.org/works/OL2868907W/People_of_the_lie
It is about his therapy directed towards malignant narcissist clients.
It is not an optimistic book. People intent on deceiving others don't often seek the truth about themselves.

JoChris

Superstar

I think in your situation you did the right thing.

cajun

Established
Two things: sneakiness often backfires because it creates a vulnerability to being manipulated oneself and second, if the NPD has attracted or bought off a strong lieutenant, the onlookers will not see the truth about what is going on because they will be looking at the lieutenant.

cajun

Established
At first I had no intention of seriously challenging this guy. He had gotten my name from someone else as a supporter of his "cause", which is parental rights. The problem is this: because he is a full-blown clinical NPD, he does not separate the legitimate rights of parents to nurture their children from the illegitimate attempt to maintain parental control far beyond healthy limits, especially the natural limit of the child's growth into independent adulthood.

So all I intended to do was separate myself from his cause but at the same time strike a blow for his victim. He was naming and shaming his daughter in his page while celebrating his cause. Thus, clearly attracting more NPD-type support since healthier people would just stay away. So I posted criticism of the very bad ettiquette of putting identifiable details like other people's names and work or neighborhood locations in your page because they can't control who sees that.

The result was what anyone would expect: pure chaos and lots of people calling me a troll. Then the NPD turned his rage on me and I thought my job was done and that was the end of that. At least he pulled his daughter's name out of the page. Mission accomplished.

But over a month later he was tagging me in a post. And I discovered that one of his strong lieutenants had apparently sided with me. So in his delusional mind that means that everybody who supports parental rights against corrupt courts, also supports him! A true NPD cannot, literally canNOT, separate a social cause from his personal ego. And so he included my name in his public list of supporters!

Aaaaargh!

cajun

Established
Direct/ perceived attack of a true malignant narcissist is unwise. They will attack the rescuer/s if and when they can get away with it.

Personally I would take the backdoor route and give or arrange support to the victim as appropriate. The victim may still believe all the lies and manipulations of the Narcissist, or they may be already prepared to leave (they're looking for the green light GO). Safety first, for both victim and rescuers.
In this case, after I made a video criticizing the guy's tv show (a public-access cable station) someone who knows the daughter contacted me and thanked me on her behalf.

cajun

Established
Have you ever read the psychotherapist M. Scott Peck's "People of the Lie" book? https://openlibrary.org/works/OL2868907W/People_of_the_lie
It is about his therapy directed towards malignant narcissist clients.
It is not an optimistic book. People intent on deceiving others don't often seek the truth about themselves.
I haven't read that but in my own family, a therapist said much the same thing after meeting wiith my ex a few times and diagnosing him as severe NPD. At that point the therapist said we had to give up on fixing him and start concentrating on protecting me and my daughter.

Aero

Superstar
I think a lot of parents have trouble letting go. But I think some get so wrapped up in that power they have over their kids. The complex takes over their life. Like they are no longer John Doe, they are just Dad, or Father to so and so. And to me that is clearly an unhealthy complex. Jung talked about separation from parents as a right of passage, or an "archetypal event".

The dad in this case can't hold her back forever. And the more he hangs on the more it will hurt in the end.

cajun

Established
Yes they tend to show their cards plainly. That's why you should be sneaky. I think I've kind of been in that sort of situation. Knowing I could win the fight at any point, but keeping my distance. Making moves here and there. You know? Just poking them a little bit, or setting bait in a trap.

A true cult leader typically wont trip over themselves. But his lieutenants will.
When an NPD is delusional, he thinks he is hiding his cards and he freaks out when people call him on it.

cajun

Established
I think a lot of parents have trouble letting go. But I think some get so wrapped up in that power they have over their kids. The complex takes over their life. Like they are no longer John Doe, they are just Dad, or Father to so and so. And to me that is clearly an unhealthy complex. Jung talked about separation from parents as a right of passage, or an "archetypal event".

The dad in this case can't hold her back forever. And the more he hangs on the more it will hurt in the end.
That archetypal aspect is interesting. I think that accounts for the connection of family feuds to national wars. Archetypal energy comes up from layers deeper than the personal unconscious.

Aero

Superstar
That archetypal aspect is interesting. I think that accounts for the connection of family feuds to national wars. Archetypal energy comes up from layers deeper than the personal unconscious.
Exactly. And every archetype has some weakness. The delusional people I've worked with aren't pathological, I mean idk if I would even use the word delusional. I think their real problem is they are having identity issues. Like some of their delusions are in fact accurate, but they are placing far too much importance on them. But I've probably just been lucky not to ever of been around people that bad for long.

cajun

Established
Well, delusional is another one of those words that are difficult because they are over-used. The media likes to accuse climate-change dissidents of being delusional, for example, without distinguishing between those who actually do deny its' existence and those who question our understanding of what is going on.

It is also hard to say someone is delusional when they are simply accepting false information. That happens a lot in NPD clusters. The NPD will subtly ferret out those who seek proof or alternative and independent sources. The NPD wants to be the sole conduit of information.

Aero

Superstar
Yes it is difficult. I can only speak personally as a cult leader. It is driven by some strange sense of self importance. But I don't try to force anyone, or isolate them. But ultimately I want more people to become followers. And the worse thing of all for me is being wrong. My followers don't really care when my predictions are wrong, but I do. So I'm obsessed with not making one unless it's true

cajun

Established
Wow, so you are consciously a cult leader? And this is the first time in a long time I have seen someone use the word "cult" without attaching all the negatives that are appropriate to destructive cults.

What, if I may ask, is the purpose of your cult? Why would someone join it? ( just curious )

cajun

Established

LOL I just got an email from one of his weaker lieutenants telling me that Facebook has taken down my videos and she has called the police to tell them about me.

A. My videos are still up. Facebook has made no objection.
B. I can now call that police department myself just to offer to answer any questions they may have.

She apparently does not know that all posts, texts and celphone communications are time-stamped and that it is easy to save screenprints of problematic posts, such as the one in which she joined the NPD's thread smashing me by full name AFTER she had texted a false intro to me to gain my confidence enough to have a phone conversation wiith her.

Now, I would look petty and foolish for calling police on these stalkers, myself, at this point.

LOL

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Wow, so you are consciously a cult leader? And this is the first time in a long time I have seen someone use the word "cult" without attaching all the negatives that are appropriate to destructive cults.

What, if I may ask, is the purpose of your cult? Why would someone join it? ( just curious )
Lol yes it's all conscious. And I would say people often have a personal revelation from my words. Some personal, or universal truth that may inspire. I seem to elevate them, and even purify them of demons. But can't really deny the destructive force that comes with it. What would anyone do? If they woke up and realized they are a cult leader. Do you stop speaking? And would it even matter.