Tumblr is promoting eating disorders

The other day I actually thought to myself you know, my neck is kind of questionable according to their definition of an "Adams apple". What if there is some guy out there who saw me grocery shopping today and swears on his life I'm a trans person?!
Yeah, im not lying that i often feel self conscious in public that what if people think im realy a man.

I have the "wrong" limb ratios, narrow hips, and i've seen those adams apples videos and my neck sort of resembles some of them.

It's so bad that i actually feel more confident when im pregnant because then for sure i can't be mistaken for a man, but then people online talk about the fake bellies and stuff.

Oh wow, that kid's cat video does make me sad, doesn't seem right, especially for something aimed towards kids. They will surely get the wrong idea of how they should feel about themselves.
I am definitely also sick of women being called trans for every little thing, it's ridiculous.

Floridafoot

Established
Yeah, im not lying that i often feel self conscious in public that what if people think im realy a man.

I have the "wrong" limb ratios, narrow hips, and i've seen those adams apples videos and my neck sort of resembles some of them.

It's so bad that i actually feel more confident when im pregnant because then for sure i can't be mistaken for a man, but then people online talk about the fake bellies and stuff.
I think you should definitely stop watching those videos. I'm sure you look just fine. I'm sure anyone who questions your womanhood needs to lay off the YouTube. I'm sure the father of your children thinks you look just fine. And I'm certain he does not doubt for a minute you're the real deal. Try not to let people get in your head and make you self conscious. You're put together just the way you're supposed to be.

An interesting article on "pretty privilege"

I thought it was very sad that they even said in the article that, specifically women are seen as "less human" if they aren't conventionally attractive. This is why us women get self conscious. We are told by EVERY ANGLE that we have to be good looking. It doesn't matter where we are. We can be walking down the street, seeing women catering to the norm, we see shops on the street and there are attractive women on the ads in the stores. We look anywhere online and even just play an innocent game, and the ads are riddled with images of attractive women and how to lose weight and dress sexy. It's EVERYWHERE. no wonder we have such a hard time.
Plus, this article also looks at the disadvantages, like also being perceived as vain and can end up lacking empathy. Especially if everyone tells the individual that they are attractive all the time, it does to their heads.
I find it unfair that people will actually judge others on appearances rather than their hearts.

A few thoughts...

- the whole "body positivity" thing is problematic in my opinion, something like "body neutrality" would be better.
For example, there is a difference between description, like "thin" or "short", "big", "small", etc, and assigning value, like "nice", "attractive", "beautiful", "sexy", "ugly", etc.

It would be nice if people stuck to objective and neutral descriptions rather than value laden ones. Probably won't happen though...

The whole thing about value is that it's culturally constructed. What is considered "beauty" among a population is not necessarily universally so. And i absolutely blame the media for pushing whatever version of "beauty" tptb decide at that moment to push.

- another thing, the article mentioned the confidence of growing up "attractive". So people that are late bloomers or unconfident for a variety of reasons would not get this extra "boost", yet they would face the disadvantages of being perceived by others as being vain.

Even worse for people who have bad social skills.

- i may be reading too much into it but this part seems ableist.
fostering a society that values individuals for their character and abilities rather than aesthetics.
How about a society that just doesn't assign relative value to others at all?
If this is the kind of thinking being promoted, i can see how it goes along with the agenda of killing off those people who are seen as "not valuable".

It's true, I really wish this world wouldn't be so obsessed with valuing people by things that don't matter. Looks are only on the outside, they don't make us better people if we are attractive by conventional standards. This is why it's so great to find those who are more unique and don't try to fit in by society

Thank you for posting this.
So many people don't realize how toxic this community is and how much pressure is everywhere for us to be absolutely perfect and skinny.
Seeing the way these women acted was repulsive. I actually find them to be close to evil because what they are promoting is so dangerous. They seem to love the attention they get, too! How could they feel good about themselves and sleep at night knowing they are manipulating so many others to be like them and to live a VERY unhealthy lifestyle?
There's more to life than women being skinny. I find most of this crap is directed at women, specifically.
Sure, I do agree some men get pressure too *cough Hollywood cough* but it seems all these darn influencers are women, and the pressure is absolutely everywhere.
We can't do anything without seeing an image of a half naked thin woman in an ad, whether online or just walking around town. It's such a psychological warfare, but so many don't realize this is happening. They just don't bat an eye to it.
I actually find that these influencers are horrible people and should be ashamed of themselves. I can't stand them!
Also, I found this guy to be very funny on how he made fun of this!

minnie82

Superstar
Thank you for posting this.
So many people don't realize how toxic this community is and how much pressure is everywhere for us to be absolutely perfect and skinny.
Seeing the way these women acted was repulsive. I actually find them to be close to evil because what they are promoting is so dangerous. They seem to love the attention they get, too! How could they feel good about themselves and sleep at night knowing they are manipulating so many others to be like them and to live a VERY unhealthy lifestyle?
There's more to life than women being skinny. I find most of this crap is directed at women, specifically.
Sure, I do agree some men get pressure too *cough Hollywood cough* but it seems all these darn influencers are women, and the pressure is absolutely everywhere.
We can't do anything without seeing an image of a half naked thin woman in an ad, whether online or just walking around town. It's such a psychological warfare, but so many don't realize this is happening. They just don't bat an eye to it.
I actually find that these influencers are horrible people and should be ashamed of themselves. I can't stand them!
Also, I found this guy to be very funny on how he made fun of this!
Yes Tik Tok shouldn't exist in the first place

Simka

Established
I'd also ban such videos! Unfortunately, eating disorders are a pretty common issue today. The main problem is that most people want to standardize themselves and look like others. We need to learn how to love and accept our bodies. But still, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle and do sports. Also, it would be great if people wanted to be aware more of the medications, especially those they take regularly (I often use the Canadian Pharmacy site for this purpose). I read about many cases of overdosing or ignoring side effects that led to serious health harm.

Last edited: