U S. National Coin Shortage

Karlysymon

Superstar
Yeah, it is interesting. I just thought that the reason Powell gave was abit flimsy.

Other countries also underwent partial lockdowns but they aren't experiencing low money velocity (in this case pennies) just because people were cooped up in their houses for months. Furthermore, wasn't the Mint supposed to be some sort of essential work?

It just seems, like the shutdown of meat plants over the virus, a planned move to create an artificial shortage. The real question to ask here is: if there is more movement toward cashless payment, what will happen when there is a blackout and cards don't work?

Johnny5

Veteran
Yeah, it is interesting. I just thought that the reason Powell gave was abit flimsy.

Other countries also underwent partial lockdowns but they aren't experiencing low money velocity (in this case pennies) just because people were cooped up in their houses for months. Furthermore, wasn't the Mint supposed to be some sort of essential work?

It just seems, like the shutdown of meat plants over the virus, a planned move to create an artificial shortage. The real question to ask here is: if there is more movement toward cashless payment, what will happen when there is a blackout and cards don't work?
Exactly! What happens when the grid goes down or worse social credit scoring goes world wide and we are reliant on bits and bytes instead of coins and bills? We get shut off. That's what happens. I admire some aspects of crypto, but the fact that it is by its very nature a digital currency has me leary of it. Maybe I am just too old school in my thinking sometimes.
Oh,, I gotta go!! The neighbor's kid just threw a ball in my yard! It's mine now!!!

Karlysymon

Superstar
Exactly! What happens when the grid goes down or worse social credit scoring goes world wide and we are reliant on bits and bytes instead of coins and bills? We get shut off. That's what happens. I admire some aspects of crypto, but the fact that it is by its very nature a digital currency has me leary of it. Maybe I am just too old school in my thinking sometimes.
Oh,, I gotta go!! The neighbor's kid just threw a ball in my yard! It's mine now!!!
I personally expect a grid-down situation sometime around late October. There is a reason Walmart was preventing people from buying seeds. And if somehow cashless outlets become widespread because the mint isn't being cranked, then it will be bad news when the grid goes down. That's how i see it anyway...

Lisa

Superstar
Kroger stops giving change in coins due to a shortage caused by the coronavirus pandemic and will put leftover money on loyalty cards instead

Kroger stops giving change in coins due to a shortage caused by the coronavirus pandemic and will put leftover money on loyalty cards instead
btw dana coverstone dreamed of this.....seems to be coming to fruition

Daze

Superstar
I see these "credit/debit card only" signs at most places in Houston.

It has nothing to do with the US mint, they are putting out coins at an all time high. It has to do with the FED trying to eliminate its competition by hoarding all the coins.

DavidSon

Star
I see these "credit/debit card only" signs at most places in Houston.

It has nothing to do with the US mint, they are putting out coins at an all time high. It has to do with the FED trying to eliminate its competition by hoarding all the coins.

Ah thanks I was going to look for this video @polymoog also posted. The important fact is the US Treasury (we the citizens) control coin currency- not the Federal Reserve.