Universal Basic Income

Todd

Star
If I had posted this in the religious section, I would have made at least one comparison between a ubi and Leviticus 23:23

“When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and for the foreigner residing among you. I am the LORD your God.'"

ubi == gleanings?
Absolutely! Gods ways can be seen in the laws of Israel, so we can get some ideas of what Christ’s reign on Earth will look like. The problem with Israel is that they did not understand the spirit behind the commands and guidance God gave them, so they made a complete mess out of it.

elsbet

Superstar
I know you’re asking justjess.

But I think the virus will affect businesses going forward. Businesses are learning to thrive with minimal employees.

Curbside pick ups etc. These are all going to possibly be new services going forward. Which trickles into all sectors of employment.
You're right.
It has changed the landscape entirely-- low overhead is appealing, for sure. We had *another* round of layoffs, but there were other circumstances that affected it, well before this dis-ease became a thing. Certainly didn't help the situation though.

But who wants to live like this? It's lackluster at best.

And as an aside-- no server in his/her right mind is going to take the job for the nothing they get paid to stand at the door. Hope everyone is still tipping-- and generously!

Maes17

Superstar
You're right.
It has changed the landscape entirely-- low overhead is appealing, for sure. We had *another* round of layoffs, but there were other circumstances that affected it, well before this dis-ease became a thing. Certainly didn't help the situation though.

But who wants to live like this? It's lackluster at best.

And as an aside-- no server in his/her right mind is going to take the job for the nothing they get paid to stand at the door. Hope everyone is still tipping-- and generously!
I don’t think anyone that is sane wants to live like this.
Sadly we allowed our government to shackle us into a possible future social normalcy.

Idk what to make of anything regarding this virus anymore.
For us essential workers. It’s starting to take a toll physically. I’m one who enjoys my job, but even I am starting to feel the repercussions of not having a full staff on board.

elsbet

Superstar
I don’t think anyone that is sane wants to live like this.
Sadly we allowed our government to shackle us into a possible future social normalcy.

Idk what to make of anything regarding this virus anymore.
For us essential workers. It’s starting to take a toll physically. I’m one who enjoys my job, but even I am starting to feel the repercussions of not having a full staff on board.
Agreed... me, too. I deleted the dramatic bitch session that followed. Even I don't want to hear it. :D

But again, I remind myself we're fortunate to be considered essential. Hope things ease up for you soon-- for all of us, really.

:)

Karlysymon

Superstar
There has actually been more talk of debt forgiveness in the last year than I have ever heard too. Recently, some have been talking about debt forgiveness for doctors with student loans.
Good point. Instead of howling or encouraging clapping for health workers, gov'ts should just get real and forgive their student loans.
A form of it will have to exist in some form in order to deal with mass unemployment that is going to come with automation.

There’s enough public funds to make sure everyone can eat and has a place to sleep, it’s just a matter of priorities.

Some people might not want to do anything but those people exist anyway and not taking care of these needs leads to worse social problems. Besides it’s time to place less value on work and more on fulfillment. It’s not the end all and if an UBI isn’t properly implemented it can be detrimental. Yang’s UBI was garbage for example.

Anyway the point I was getting at is that a UBI could be very useful but changing the economic order is still required
What the options seem to look like: either you will have to emigrate, end up dead or in a work-camp (like prisoners earning cents off corporations products)

Karlysymon

Superstar
Also, curiously, when this whole thing was fully underway, the Commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, did say that Coronavirus will boost US jobs.
(I meant to post this in one of the Coronavirus threads but will put it here instead.)

I was listening to Whitney Webb talk about the document obtained through FOIA that lays out plans to overhaul the American economy into an AI based one (I first saw her article at UNZ Review) and obtain an edge over China. I then found myself wondering: if the coming AI based economy is going to need (say) 1 or 2 human workers out of 10, what is the government going to do to these people who are technically not needed/useless that are actually 90/80% of the population? The only conclusion I could arrive at was that either they will emigrate or the government will kill them since it doesn’t need them.

It is at this point in my musings that I remembered this website that caused some stirring many years ago for forecasting, by 2025, the US Population under 100million. The figures vary, but they don’t rise above the 100million threshold. I’ve just checked now and its 99million.
1589198535634.png
source
So, if we say that the remaining 200million, half is going to emigrate and the other half will die somehow, I still can’t see 100million leaving. We didn’t even see those kinds of levels with Greece (Out of 8m, 1m people left). True, this crisis is going to cause massive reverse-immigration. Similar to what we saw after 2008, southward…

I don’t see how someone who has family in South America, India or China is going to stay put in an American suburb, broke and hungry, when they can simply move in with a relative “back home”. I’ve already seen something like this, mentioned in comments to articles in regard to some SE Asian workers “going back home” after decades in the Middle East or N.Asia. Interestingly, because of the attention the forecast for the US garnered, the website owners provided an explanation for their grim forecast by attributing the plummeting levels to immigration.

The key element to understand the process that the USA will enter in the upcoming decade is migration. In the past, specially in the 20th century, the key factor that allowed the USA to rise to its colossus status was immigration with the benefits of a demographic expansion supporting the credit expansion and the brain drain from the rest of the world benefiting the States. The collapse of the Western financial system will wipe out the standard of living of its population while ending ponzi schemes such as the stock exchange and the pension funds. The population will be hit so badly by a full array of bubbles and ponzi schemes that the migration engine will start to work in reverse accelerating itself due to ripple effects thus leading to the demise of the States. This unseen situation for the States will develop itself in a cascade pattern with unprecedented and devastating effects for the economy. Jobs offshoring will surely end with many American Corporations relocating overseas thus becoming foreign Corporations!!!! We see a significant part of the American population migrating to Latin America and Asia while migration to Europe - suffering a similar illness - won't be relevant. Nevertheless the death toll will be horrible. Take into account that the Soviet Union's population was poorer than the Americans nowadays or even then. The ex-Soviets suffered during the following struggle in the 1990s with a significant death toll and the loss of national pride. Might we say "Twice the pride, double the fall"? Nope. The American standard of living is one of the highest, far more than double of the Soviets while having added a services economy that will be gone along with the financial system. When pensioners see their retirement disappear in front of their eyes and there are no servicing jobs you can imagine what is going to happen next. At least younger people can migrate. Never in human history were so many elders among the population. In past centuries people were lucky to get to their 30s or 40s. The American downfall is set to be far worse than the Soviet Union's one. A confluence of crisis with a devastating result.

Circa 2012-2014, this projection certainly was outrageous but as of right now, it looks very plausible. Remember their forecast was for 2025, which is 5yrs from now but just like the Economist cover of 1987 projecting some sort of new (universal) currency by 2017, it would be safe to say that the less-than-100million population for the US will be accurate by 2030,…….10yrs from now. The obvious question to ask here is that: where is that 99million of the population going to be concentrated? Chances are they will be pushed into the ghastly, smart cities that have been planned. The Pentagon btw is actively exploring warfare in that theater.

Anyway, apparently the East is going to have to absorb America’s 100million immigrants but I also don’t see many walking right into the embrace of China’s control-grid (feel bad for expats over there right now).

I want to add that America is one of only two countries in the whole world that taxes its citizens living in the diaspora. Spouse’s assets also have to be declared due to some stupid laws about money laundering. Even when you have children and register them as US citizens, once they turn 18, they have to pay that expat tax even though they’ve never set foot in the country. So once you become an immigrant, eastward, one’s only option will be to renounce your citizenship otherwise you’ll still have to finance the “American machine”. If you refuse to pay, iam pretty sure some of those extradition laws will come in handy but I also trust that “they’ll try to make it hard for people to renounce their citizenship as punishment but also to not lose that source of revenue.

So when Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, back in January, said that jobs are coming back from China thanks to coronavirus, I think that we all know now what he actually meant…….jobs for robots, not humans.
-----------------------------------------
For those interested, this is an old talk dissecting Jacques Attali’s book A Brief History of the Future. Tidbits about Attali: advisor to Macron. He also “predicted” that Macron would be president. He also claimed that Jerusalem is the planned HQs for the NWO. He also talks about “tech austerity”……..that pretty much translates into “your impact on the planet will be highly regulated. How much and where you travel, how much you eat, etc”. So all those articles about how much the planet has benefitted from COVID Lockdown, make sense in this light, right?

Last edited:

Maes17

Superstar
Agreed... me, too. I deleted the dramatic bitch session that followed. Even I don't want to hear it. :D

But again, I remind myself we're fortunate to be considered essential. Hope things ease up for you soon-- for all of us, really.

:)
I can’t complain about work. I’ve taken the time to perfect my craft over there. I talked about my job in another thread. I do auto detailing at a luxury dealership. Before the virus/furlough happened we were cleaning vehicles in a volume like fashion. So sending vehicles up and you can see scratches didn’t sit right in my conscious.

I was the only detailer called in while everyone else was furloughed. So as a result service washes are suspended, loaners are suspended.

So any vehicle that is sold, I’ve actually got to spend some proper time to really not just clean the car, but if it has scratches etc. I’ve been buffering them out etc. It’s been relaxing. But I’ve also acknowledged there are going to be a lot of changes going forward.

Found out my detail crew is actually being contracted out. So we’ll be employed under a different company while still on dealership property.

Staff being cut up in service etc. The thing is I’m seeing it happen in other businesses in the city.

Trends will develop nation wide as well.
Try to get some rest if you can as an essential employee. I’ve used this as an opportunity to showcase what I really can do

Karlysymon

Superstar
There has actually been more talk of debt forgiveness in the last year than I have ever heard too. Recently, some have been talking about debt forgiveness for doctors with student loans.

student loan debt forgiveness was part of sanders and Biden’s campaigns too. We just need to do something new I think. This hamster wheel the world is on just sucks.
Apparently, its happening...
As Congress eyes the next phase of coronavirus relief, some lawmakers want to help pay frontline workers’ student loans or higher education costs.

“Grocery clerks didn't take that job at relatively modest wages thinking they were saving the world,” said Rep. Ann Kuster (D-NH) in an interview with Yahoo Finance.

A new bill introduced this week would give essential workers $25,000 in student debt relief— or for college tuition or costs of a workforce development or continuing education program. Kuster and Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) introduced the Opportunities for Heroes Act on Tuesday. The bill has several other Democratic cosponsors, but Fitzpatrick is the only Republican on board so far.

Lisa

Superstar
Germany to test universal basic income by handing people £1,080 per month regardless of whether they have a job
  • Researchers will give 120 Germans £1,080 per month as universal basic income
  • Experiment will test how their attitudes and behaviours change as a result
  • Comes as support for nationwide scheme gained traction amid the pandemic
  • Spain has already announced plans for basic income to help economy recover

Thunderian

Superstar
Canada will have UBI soon. Our glorious leader’s government is collapsing and he requires the far left NDP to prop it up in parliament. The price of their support will be UBI.

Not that Trudeau doesn’t want to be one of the first western countries to have a universal basic income. He failed at getting a seat on the UN Security Council, but this will make him happy again.

Lisa

Superstar
Canada will have UBI soon. Our glorious leader’s government is collapsing and he requires the far left NDP to prop it up in parliament. The price of their support will be UBI.

Not that Trudeau doesn’t want to be one of the first western countries to have a universal basic income. He failed at getting a seat on the UN Security Council, but this will make him happy again.
What’s the income going to be, do you know? Does he have to get the queen’s approval. I mean I know it would be ceremonial..but still.

Thunderian

Superstar
What’s the income going to be, do you know? Does he have to get the queen’s approval. I mean I know it would be ceremonial..but still.
In Canada, royal assent is given by the Governor-General, who was, conveniently, appointed by Trudeau. The fix is in.

No idea what the amount will be, but our temporary pandemic income has been $2000/month.

Lisa

Superstar
In Canada, royal assent is given by the Governor-General, who was, conveniently, appointed by Trudeau. The fix is in.

No idea what the amount will be, but our temporary pandemic income has been $2000/month.
I forgot about that position...the sussex duo were hoping that Harry would get that position...or at least that was the rumor.

That’s a lot of money every month per person...they might not be able to stop that amount now that people have had it for awhile.

Thunderian

Superstar
That’s a lot of money every month per person...they might not be able to stop that amount now that people have had it for awhile.
They’re going to have to do something. The pandemic benefits have come to an end, right as the moratorium on evictions is being lifted, but a lot of people are still without jobs.

Had they not reacted the way they did by locking us all down, we wouldn’t have this problem. I have no faith in Turdeau’s ability to rescue the economy, but he’s going to have to keep the population happy somehow, so UBI seems the natural way to go.

cjkkw

Established
They’re going to have to do something. The pandemic benefits have come to an end, right as the moratorium on evictions is being lifted, but a lot of people are still without jobs.

Had they not reacted the way they did by locking us all down, we wouldn’t have this problem. I have no faith in Turdeau’s ability to rescue the economy, but he’s going to have to keep the population happy somehow, so UBI seems the natural way to go.
this is what happens when you give ppl medication. they start to think they can do things beyond their mind allows.

My theory - cjkkw is the Colonel returning after dinging his head a few times looting stores and rioting