Who Was Jesus?

Todd

Star
let's put the nail down on who this great man really was...
Good luck with that on this fourm:p

Bible says he was Messiah, son of God and that God made him Lord and Christ.
Quran says he was a prophet sent to the Israelites, the Messiah who will come back and kill anti-Christ (Muslim's feel free to correct if I have this wrong)
Christian Church tradition says he is the "second person" of the Trinity, that he is God.

Jesus himself said he was the Son of God....but never said he was God.

Haich

Superstar
Yh people will always disagree aha but if we're honest in our approach to deciphering credible information, we could reach a unanimous conclusion...

I'm glad you've made the distinction between God and son of God. A lot of Christians are quick to call him both which would be logically impossible...furthermore as you clarified he doesn't call himself God, this is an association deduced from the implications of various biblical verses

I'm more so against the trinity than anything else, to me 'son' is an expression of his attachment to god and not a literal reference to him being the son of God. The trinity makes no sense to anyone other than Christians who seem to attach so much emotion to this belief that they can't challenge it and prove its weight

If only we could agree first that he wasn't God we could then explore the implications of the term 'son'

Etagloc

Superstar
I have no idea if the trinity is Biblical or not. I do think it's fascinating, though. I like the idea of God being a trinity. But I have no idea if it's Biblical or not.

Violette

Star
Jesus is God in the flesh. He says I and the Father are one, before Abraham was born I was, I am the Alpha and Omega, He is equal with God. Those are some mighty claims, blasphemous if untrue but Jesus was clearly unlike any man to walk this earth. Besides what He said he also proved himself through actions by fulfilling prophecy and performing miracles. He was born of a virgin, born in Bethlehem, heir to Davids throne, crucified, ect. He was also sinless. He fulfilled all the prophecies that were and are to come.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Jesus himself said he was the Son of God....but never said he was God.
He indirectly claimed His divinity.

He agreed with Thomas' testimony that He was (Thomas' personal) "Lord and God" (John 20:28).
And He didn't rebuke Thomas for saying that.

Thomas' testimony about Jesus is true.
He is "Lord and God".

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
I think as far as scripture goes. Christian scholars reject anything that didn't come from Jesus apostles. Which I don't have that much of an opinion on, but it seems awfully convenient of them.

Maybe there is more to the story. Or things being deliberately hidden about Jesus history.

True World Order

Established
An-Nisa 4 171
O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His Word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs.

The God doesn't have children, otherwise that would mean there is more than One God. He is the Creator and Sustainer of everything in existence. I see being called a "son" of God as a title, not a literal son, a righteous servant. Jesus (pbuh) never claimed godhood and always shunned worship, always giving the credit to The Father (Alhamdulillah). The title of 'son of man' was also shared by Ezekiel (pbuh).

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

If only we could agree first that he wasn't God we could then explore the implications of the term 'son'
Majority of Christians here will not agree that Jesus isn't God because doing so would crumble their whole foundation. A foundation that is built upon Paul's words about Jesus. Yet Jesus said:

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and acts on them is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain fell, the torrents raged, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because its foundation was on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.…​

Mr. Blah

Veteran
An-Nisa 4 171
O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His Word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs.

The God doesn't have children, otherwise that would mean there is more than One God. He is the Creator and Sustainer of everything in existence. I see being called a "son" of God as a title, not a literal son, a righteous servant. Jesus (pbuh) never claimed godhood and always shunned worship, always giving the credit to The Father (Alhamdulillah). The title of 'son of man' was also shared by Ezekiel (pbuh).

Adam is God's son too in Luke 3:38

"the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God."

Mr. Blah

Veteran
An-Nisa 4 171

Jesus is God's "literal" son, just like Isaac is Abraham's "literal" son.

Jesus is God.
As a Son of God, Jesus inherits the "Godness" (The qualities of God) of His Father, who is God.
God's "DNA" is in Jesus' blood.

True World Order

Established
Jesus is God's "literal" son, just like Isaac is Abraham's "literal" son.

Jesus is God.
As a Son of God, Jesus inherits the "Godness" (The qualities of God) of His Father, who is God.
God's "DNA" is in Jesus' blood.
The God doesn't have children, otherwise that would mean there is more than One God.

God Created DNA.

"The Father is greater than I".

Al-Imran 3 59
Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was.

Yahda

Veteran
At the end of the day the NT says Jesus is God AND Jesus is the son of God. With that being the case, you will never get anywhere.

The NT is a book of confusion and there is no point going back and forth about it considering its text support both arguments.

What we do know is that Israel is the son exodus 4:22, and that there is no savior besides God himself. Isaiah 43:3/43:11" THERE IS NO SAVIOR". Isaiah 45:21/Hosea 13:4

We know that no man can die for your sins and that we each must die for our own.....and this is all according to God and His word the OT.

So whatever and whoever Jesus is, we know he isn't any of the above ( son, savior, sin cleaner....) with that being said good luck trying to hash it out. You will be here for ages due to the fact the Christian text does confess Jesus as God, and that he is not God.