YOGA and MEDITATION

MonBra

Rookie
I used to be skeptical about yoga but I decided to give it a try when I started suffering from back pain. It turned out to be helpful, and of course, I changed my mind. I forgot when I took my canada drugs painkillers.
And I should say, I'm surprised that some people find yoga to be dangerous. I never heard about it. I think if you choose exercises according to your level, it is impossible to get harm to your body.

Last edited:

Eldesande

Established
I used to be skeptical about yoga but I decided to give it a try when I started suffering from back pain. It turned out to be helpful, and of course, I changed my mind. I forgot when I took painkillers.
And I should say, I'm surprised that some people find yoga to be dangerous. I never heard about it. I think if you choose exercises according to your level, it is impossible to get harm to your body.
They are a bunch of pathetic, uneducated, narrow-minded and xenophobic racists who can't stand the idea of anything helpful and useful coming out of the East.

But that's fine. At least Yoga class will be free of the toxicity. :)

I sincerely hope that people who have happened upon this site are intelligent enough to read through ALL the evidence and see for themselves how harmful this stuff can be. If even yoga teachers are messing up their bodies, perhaps it's showing us that it is not good physically. At least not any more than just basic stretching can do for our body.

it is impossible to get harm to your body
And, for those who are believers, i hope you pray on it and realize that "the body" is not all there is to it.

28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

There IS a spiritual dimension to this yoga stuff, as the hindu yoga practicioners (who would know more about their hindu practice than some westerner) themselves have said.

Eldesande

Established
I sincerely hope that people who have happened upon this site are intelligent enough to read through ALL the evidence and see for themselves how harmful this stuff can be. If even yoga teachers are messing up their bodies, perhaps it's showing us that it is not good physically. At least not any more than just basic stretching can do for our body.

And, for those who are believers, i hope you pray on it and realize that "the body" is not all there is to it.

28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

There IS a spiritual dimension to this yoga stuff, as the hindu yoga practicioners (who would know more about their hindu practice than some westerner) themselves have said.
Nothing "evil" or "demonic" as you keep saying.

Eldesande

Established

These "yoga teachers" you speak of are clearly not properly trained. Not surprising since they get their 200-hour teacher training course online. That's the west appropriating as usual, without fully understanding or bothering to actually study and acknowledge the many years it takes to qualify to really teach Yoga. They like to capitalize everything for profit. Don't talk about things you're so clearly misinformed about and blinded by your own prejudices and ignorance.

These "yoga teachers" you speak of are clearly not properly trained. Not surprising since they get their 200-hour teacher training course online.
Reposting post #47, clearly not the case of someone getting an online teaching certification.

The article is from the new york times, that should be mainstream enough for you, as i know you wont take alt sites seriously.
(Which makes me really wonder, WHY are you here?)

Interesting msm article for those who value the opinions of doctors. Focuses on physical dangers. So much for it being physically good for you, even if spiritually dangerous.

And a yoga teacher, no online weekend certification either - "Black is, in many ways, a classic yogi: he studied in Pune, India, at the institute founded by the legendary B. K. S. Iyengar, and spent years in solitude and meditation."

Here's the tldr

"Black has come to believe that “the vast majority of people” should give up yoga altogether. It’s simply too likely to cause harm."

People in the US are at a higher risk of getting injured compared to the original demographic of practicioner

According to Black, a number of factors have converged to heighten the risk of practicing yoga. The biggest is the demographic shift in those who study it. Indian practitioners of yoga typically squatted and sat cross-legged in daily life, and yoga poses, or asanas, were an outgrowth of these postures. Now urbanites who sit in chairs all day walk into a studio a couple of times a week and strain to twist themselves into ever-more-difficult postures despite their lack of flexibility and other physical problems. Many come to yoga as a gentle alternative to vigorous sports or for rehabilitation for injuries. But yoga’s exploding popularity — the number of Americans doing yoga has risen from about 4 million in 2001 to what some estimate to be as many as 20 million in 2011 — means that there is now an abundance of studios where many teachers lack the deeper training necessary to recognize when students are headed toward injury.
How about some torn achilles tendons, needing a hip placement, and having to teach lying down, all for the love of yoga
I asked him about the worst injuries he’d seen. He spoke of well-known yoga teachers doing such basic poses as downward-facing dog, in which the body forms an inverted V, so strenuously that they tore Achilles tendons. “It’s ego,” he said. “The whole point of yoga is to get rid of ego.” He said he had seen some “pretty gruesome hips.” “One of the biggest teachers in America had zero movement in her hip joints,” Black told me. “The sockets had become so degenerated that she had to have hip replacements.” I asked if she still taught. “Oh, yeah,” Black replied. “There are other yoga teachers that have such bad backs they have to lie down to teach. I’d be so embarrassed

Doctors!
But a growing body of medical evidence supports Black’s contention that, for many people, a number of commonly taught yoga poses are inherently risky. The first reports of yoga injuries appeared decades ago, published in some of the world’s most respected journals — among them, Neurology, The British Medical Journal and The Journal of the American Medical Association. The problems ranged from relatively mild injuries to permanent disabilities.

How about a stroke to go with that yoga?
More troubling reports followed. In 1972 a prominent Oxford neurophysiologist, W. Ritchie Russell, published an article in The British Medical Journal arguing that, while rare, some yoga postures threatened to cause strokes even in relatively young, healthy people. Russell found that brain injuries arose not only from direct trauma to the head but also from quick movements or excessive extensions of the neck, such as occur in whiplash — or certain yoga poses. Normally, the neck can stretch backward 75 degrees, forward 40 degrees and sideways 45 degrees, and it can rotate on its axis about 50 degrees. Yoga practitioners typically move the vertebrae much farther. An intermediate student can easily turn his or her neck 90 degrees — nearly twice the normal rotation.

Extreme motions of the head and neck, Russell warned, could wound the vertebral arteries, producing clots, swelling and constriction, and eventually wreak havoc in the brain. The basilar artery, which arises from the union of the two vertebral arteries and forms a wide conduit at the base of the brain, was of particular concern. It feeds such structures as the pons (which plays a role in respiration), the cerebellum (which coordinates the muscles), the occipital lobe of the outer brain (which turns eye impulses into images) and the thalamus (which relays sensory messages to the outer brain). Reductions in blood flow to the basilar artery are known to produce a variety of strokes. These rarely affect language and conscious thinking (often said to be located in the frontal cortex) but can severely damage the body’s core machinery and sometimes be fatal. The majority of patients suffering such a stroke do recover most functions. But in some cases headaches, imbalance, dizziness and difficulty in making fine movements persist for years.

Healthy young woman gets injured while doing a common yoga pose, suffers brain damage
A healthy woman of 28 suffered a stroke while doing a yoga position known as the wheel or upward bow, in which the practitioner lies on her back, then lifts her body into a semicircular arc, balancing on hands and feet. An intermediate stage often involves raising the trunk and resting the crown of the head on the floor. While balanced on her head, her neck bent far backward, the woman “suddenly felt a severe throbbing headache.” She had difficulty getting up, and when helped into a standing position, was unable to walk without assistance. The woman was rushed to the hospital. She had no sensation on the right side of her body; her left arm and leg responded poorly to her commands. Her eyes kept glancing involuntarily to the left. And the left side of her face showed a contracted pupil, a drooping upper eyelid and a rising lower lid — a cluster of symptoms known as Horner’s syndrome. Nagler reported that the woman also had a tendency to fall to the left.

Her doctors found that the woman’s left vertebral artery, which runs between the first two cervical vertebrae, had narrowed considerably and that the arteries feeding her cerebellum had undergone severe displacement. Given the lack of advanced imaging technologies at the time, an exploratory operation was conducted to get a clearer sense of her injuries. The surgeons who opened her skull found that the left hemisphere of her cerebellum suffered a major failure of blood supply that resulted in much dead tissue and that the site was seeped in secondary hemorrhages.

The patient began an intensive program of rehabilitation. Two years later, she was able to walk, Nagler reported, “with [a] broad-based gait.” But her left arm continued to wander and her left eye continued to show Horner’s syndrome. Nagler concluded that such injuries appeared to be rare but served as a warning about the hazards of “forceful hyperextension of the neck

This time a 25 yr old man.
These were a sign of neck trauma. Diagnostic tests revealed blockages of the left vertebral artery between the c2 and c3 vertebrae; the blood vessel there had suffered “total or nearly complete occlusion” — in other words, no blood could get through to the brain.

Two months after his attack, and after much physical therapy, the man was able to walk with a cane. But, the team reported, he “continued to have pronounced difficulty performing fine movements with his left hand.” Hanus and his colleagues concluded that the young man’s condition represented a new kind of danger. Healthy individuals could seriously damage their vertebral arteries, they warned, “by neck movements that exceed physiological tolerance.” Yoga, they stressed, “should be considered as a possible precipitating event.”

The yoga instructor inteviewed for the article had to undergo a lumbar spinal fusion to treat some of the damage yoga had caused his body over the years.

He had developed spinal stenosis — a serious condition in which the openings between vertebrae begin to narrow, compressing spinal nerves and causing excruciating pain. Black said that he felt the tenderness start 20 years ago when he was coming out of such poses as the plow and the shoulder stand. Two years ago, the pain became extreme. One surgeon said that without treatment, he would eventually be unable to walk. The surgery took five hours, fusing together several lumbar vertebrae. He would eventually be fine but was under surgeon’s orders to reduce strain on his lower back. His range of motion would never be the same.

Black is one of the most careful yoga practitioners I know. When I first spoke to him, he said he had never injured himself doing yoga or, as far as he knew, been responsible for harming any of his students. I asked him if his recent injury could have been congenital or related to aging. No, he said. It was yoga. “You have to get a different perspective to see if what you’re doing is going to eventually be bad for you.”
Yeah, that sounds about right, unfortunately

But his warnings seemed to fall on deaf ears. “I was a little more emphatic than usual,” he recalled. “My message was that ‘Asana is not a panacea or a cure-all. In fact, if you do it with ego or obsession, you’ll end up causing problems.’ A lot of people don’t like to hear that.”

Don't talk about things you're so clearly misinformed about and blinded by your own prejudices and ignorance.
So if the variety of yoga practicioners i've been quoting throughout this thread are "misinformed" and "ignorant", then who are we supposed to believe, you?

I'm free to post about the physical and spiritual dangers of this for those who care, and you're free to continue engaging in it.

If you only want to read one sided mainstream views, i hear reddit is a great forum :)

Eldesande

Established
Proof that yoga is a religious activity, not just exercise.

No one would confuse actual exercise as some kind of prayer.

Reposting post #47, clearly not the case of someone getting an online teaching certification.

The article is from the new york times, that should be mainstream enough for you, as i know you wont take alt sites seriously.

So if the variety of yoga practicioners i've been quoting throughout this thread are "misinformed" and "ignorant", then who are we supposed to believe, you?

I'm free to post about the physical and spiritual dangers of this for those who care, and you're free to continue engaging in it.

If you only want to read one sided mainstream views, i hear reddit is a great forum :)
Okay, and you're free to engage in your idiotic xenophobic rants. You and these idiots who claim to be some kind of "experts" on Yoga are just a bunch of uneducated evengelicals who like to insult anything outside the purview of their little cult. But don't forget to dedicate time to your "feminism hating". LOL.

Eldesande

Established

The nEw YoRk TiMeS oooooooh!!!!!