...a sisters word on legalism.

Lyfe

Star
...a sisters word on legalism.

"I post a lot about the Grace of God, because I used to be legalistic and religious. I was drawn to legalism back then because I loved the idea of being very committed and devoted to God. Although I had a lot of praise from other people, I was lost and I didn't know it.

I can't even take credit for leaving legalism either because I was happy staying put. It was the Lord that yanked me out and allowed everything to fall apart. He took me out of everything and I didn't understand what was happening, so I kept trying to run into the next trap and then the next trap.

Yet He was faithful to continue His work in me, and He revealed Himself in me. It was a very beautiful but also painful and grueling process because He had to tear down everything that was built so that Christ would be the Foundation laid in me.

Jesus physically removed me from places, but it took many years for Him to remove the long tentacles of condemnation and fear from me. He kept revealing His Grace to me in deeper layers, and every time He did that, it was like the cross of Christ grew larger in size. What He did was greater than most of us realize but He has to reveal it IN us.

I see so many struggle with the same strivings, fear and condemnation that I went through. Jesus is the best Teacher and we can turn to Him. His Love is healing and His Love sets people free. He gives us rest and victory "
- Charlene

Last edited:

Lyfe

Star
Amen. The growth and freedom has to be a work inspired by the holy spirit so it's natural. Anything else is forced and a work of our flesh. It has to be genuine change by God's spirit. Legalism develops the mentality of "I shouldn't and can't do this" whereas liberty in the holy spirit produces the mentality toward sin "I no longer desire to do this, because God has renewed my thoughts and put to death my old man. He has changed me by the power of his spirit!"