Brand Names and Sweatshops

shankara

Star
Imagine believing that by giving people tokens called “money” you could purchase the magical power to charm people by your appearance, through the means of displaying a certain “word of power” on your clothing. One would think such a belief very superstitious, something of a backward and primitive society from a jungle, not something which modern people would ever think of doing. But in fact this is exactly what we do, due to the fixation on the thing called “brand names”. People think that by displaying the word “Nike” or whatever they will be loved, appealing, attractive, have all the qualities they wish to display to the world.

Brand names are such a ubiquitous part of modern social life that a majority of people, or so it seems, are under their spell. I don’t doubt that there are people reading this who would actually find a person wearing them more interesting than a person who doesn’t. As if these clothes have some nobility about them, like something made in a sweatshop is actually a positive thing, suggesting the person porting it is of good character. Just a bunch of jumbled up words, assaulting our senses at all times, suggesting something while having no meaning at all.

Really, why on earth would a person buy Nike or other such brands? If you think about it clearly, those clothes are made in atrocious conditions. The people making them earn a meagre pittance, not even enough to sustain themselves despite living in countries with cheap basic commodities. They are forced to work long hours in hot factories with no fire exits, sewing away on their machines endlessly, repetitive meaningless labour. Exploited by corporations who have the resources to pay them equitably, but choose to let them starve for the sake of a few extra cents of profit. How could the beings who make them work in such hells, who do so for nothing more than their own paycheque, utterly without pity, possibly do such things to their fellow humans?

We call the system which permits and promotes this “Capitalism”. It uses the excuse that wealth will magically trickle down to poorer people to allow the unlimited accumulation of wealth by certain entities. These then use their financial might to avoid laws, demand tax breaks, and generally exploit their fellow humans and even countries to whatever extent they can pay for it, and in whatever way will ultimately lead to them becoming more profitable (and the cycle repeats, them ever ammasing illegitimate power).

It is essential that people consider before consuming these junk products which provide nothing more than an utterly meaningless momentary psychological high, whether it be in the form of personal sensations of happiness and conformity, or of the adoration of sycophants who can think of nothing better to admire than the fact that a person has branded themselves with the mark of psychological slavery. The slaves adore their masters, believing them benevolent, in the same way the slaves of consumerism adore a meaningless idol of words and logos which tyrannizes over them.

How primitive we really are! We struggle along, barely making enough money to live, and even in countries where minimum wage has a great deal of buying power, we still don’t have enough spare dinero to be blowing it on tshirts at £50 or more each. We could buy cheaper non-branded clothes and shoes, and look more unique and stylish to any person who isn’t brainwashed enough to be impressed by brand names. Of course some people do like to do this in the most self conscious and oddly conformist style, but it’s quite possible to do it sincerely.

Really we must just overthrow the tyranny of brand names. We must learn to appeal to people with our own personality and force of love, rather than through some other mysterious agency. It is like we are seeking the blessings of the saints – Saint “Nike”, Saint “Coca Cola”, Saint “Adidas”, like they will intervene before society’s judgement, which we fear. We must be ourselves, our most authentic personality, and this will naturally make us quite well-liked, because we are all unique and beautiful beings. Every bit of inauthenticity, especially when it promotes slavery and exploitation, is something which will detract from a happy and meaningful life.

Aero

Superstar
Costs are set to rise too.

Brand fanaticism is just people finding a way to cope with their violent oppressors. More importantly, I would argue brand fanaticism is comparable to virtually any other form of fanatic. One good example that's so on the nose we should all have nosebleeds is what I like to call "Body fanaticism".

In any case, it all goes back to oppressive and violent bullying going full circle. The bullied will become the bully, especially when left to their own devices. Add in the fact that our oppressors are cloaked to the point of invisibility, and it's easy to see why people target each other. In other words, fighting our oppressors is like fighting the invisible man. And that takes more force than the average person will ever wield.

Cintra

Star
Words of power!
Yes!

Excellent post.
Thank you.

And all those Influencers selling themselves in ye internet so they can promote bigger and bigger brands.
Like disciples of some consumerist religion.

Daze

Superstar
While i agree with your sentiments i think people go for brands because it usually indicates quality. For example tools. Nearly every power tool i own is Dewalt brand. They are much more expensive but they last for years and can be abused. I've dropped my drill off lifts 15 feet onto concrete before and kept working.

At the same token awhile back i started buying only Carhartt clothing. With nearly an entire wardrobe of Carharrt today, over the years i can see "quality" is not really there. Colors fade, collars stretch, excreta. So perhaps there is some brainwashing when it comes to brands as it is when i get new clothes i usually get Carhartt, even though experience shows the brand is not really special. I see most tags today say made in Mexico while they still advertise "American made" so I'm not sure why I'm still paying $20 for a t shirt just so it can have a C on it.

However, many brands i go out of my way to avoid due to slave labor. Such as Nike, Apple, ect. These brands and others are using forced Uighur labor in China as we speak. These people get absolutely nothing other then a bed in a concentration camp.

2.jpeg

Many will escape justice in this life and I believe thats a good thing. So they can get the maximum when they met the One whose most severe in punishment.

DavidSon

Star
Brand names are such a ubiquitous part of modern social life that a majority of people, or so it seems, are under their spell.
I like what you did there! :cool:

There's a good reggae tune warning about these addictions, whose lyrics play with phonetics and dual meaning in a striking way. The singer Vaughn is commenting mostly toward the black community and their preoccupation with popular fashion:

Kings on the clothesline no give them
Not without the brand name sign

Kings on the clothesline

Babylon hanging them out to dry

shankara

Star
While i agree with your sentiments i think people go for brands because it usually indicates quality. For example tools. Nearly every power tool i own is Dewalt brand. They are much more expensive but they last for years and can be abused. I've dropped my drill off lifts 15 feet onto concrete before and kept working.

At the same token awhile back i started buying only Carhartt clothing. With nearly an entire wardrobe of Carharrt today, over the years i can see "quality" is not really there. Colors fade, collars stretch, excreta. So perhaps there is some brainwashing when it comes to brands as it is when i get new clothes i usually get Carhartt, even though experience shows the brand is not really special. I see most tags today say made in Mexico while they still advertise "American made" so I'm not sure why I'm still paying $20 for a t shirt just so it can have a C on it.

However, many brands i go out of my way to avoid due to slave labor. Such as Nike, Apple, ect. These brands and others are using forced Uighur labor in China as we speak. These people get absolutely nothing other then a bed in a concentration camp.

View attachment 58319

Many will escape justice in this life and I believe thats a good thing. So they can get the maximum when they met the One whose most severe in punishment.
I definitely think that people go for brands in terms of clothing for no reason other than to impress. Or otherwise because they think it's better quality or something, bought the brainwash. Same goes for people preferring coffee from corporate coffee shops. When it comes to other things, I think it's a bit more nuanced. If someone buys an expensive car, there might be some part of showing off, some part of just wanting a quality machine. But people tend to trust that certain marques are better quality, or that spending a lot of money guarantees quality.

In any case I was speaking particularly about products which have no "use value", things which are merely for display, and which have some kind of problems in exploiting the original producers. Buying something locally made is a little different, especially in the sense that such enterprises are often smaller, not big corporations. You could extend the argument to other more useful things, but then it gets a bit more nuanced.

I also vehemently disagree with your last statement, why wish more suffering on people? I would hope that whatever they need to become better people happens, not that they suffer some unending condemnation. I also wouldn't focus solely on the Uighurs, it's a very bad things, China is awful generally, just look at Tibet - but there are many other places where people are in similar conditions, they might earn a nominal "wage" but only enough for the most basic subsistence, and also often have to live in dormitories and such. This is widespread, and is also a form of slavery.

I like what you did there! :cool:

There's a good reggae tune warning about these addictions, whose lyrics play with phonetics and dual meaning in a striking way. The singer Vaughn is commenting mostly toward the black community and their preoccupation with popular fashion:

Kings on the clothesline no give them
Not without the brand name sign

Kings on the clothesline

Babylon hanging them out to dry
Nothing like a bit of reggae to transmit a positive message to the youth. It strikes me that there is a particular problem amongst African-Americans, which through rap etc is being imitated by the youth worldwide. Really just shows how that culture is created by rich white men to keep Africans mentally enslaved. I think actually it is also a problem for the working class in general, not only because they have less exposure to good education and so don't understand the problem, but also because it makes them spend money which they don't actually have. This kind of thing leads to an obsession about becoming rich, which in turn fuels gang culture, various types of crime (it isn't the sole factor in this, but it is a part of it). Perhaps then, there is also an element of class war, the corporations against the poor, as is always the story.

Aero

Superstar
Whether or not expensive brands offer higher quality is debatable.

In some cases, a pricey shirt might be slightly better quality, but that shirt loses practicality. In other words, luxury goods are great for photo-ops and going to grand events. I would argue like 99% of the luxury clothes owned literally sit in a closet 24/7.

At least luxury cars are more practical these days. Like you can actually drive them around comfortably. Nevertheless, I'll bet a lot of luxury cars barely get driven or sit in a garage 24/7.

Daze

Superstar
I also vehemently disagree with your last statement, why wish more suffering on people? I would hope that whatever they need to become better people happens, not that they suffer some unending condemnation. I also wouldn't focus solely on the Uighurs, it's a very bad things, China is awful generally, just look at Tibet - but there are many other places where people are in similar conditions, they might earn a nominal "wage" but only enough for the most basic subsistence, and also often have to live in dormitories and such. This is widespread, and is also a form of slavery.
We live in an age were pretty much the entire world is corrupt. At every level in every nation you will find corruption. There are many people today who only care about themselves and even if they had 99.9% of the worlds wealth they would want more.

Do you think these people are ever gonna change in this life? Lets use Bill gates as an example, guy has like 150 billion. Do you actually believe in the philanthropist propaganda or can you see what the rest of us see that he only wants more for himself?

Knowing that this life is a test and every soul will die, why not hope for them to escape pain free when the ultimate justice comes in the next life? As this ultimately increases their punishment because the Lord is merciful. Whatever one suffers in this life their punishment will be reduced.

As an example the punishment for suicide is one who continually stabs himself for all of eternity in the coming life. What do you think will happen to those who constantly consume the wealth of others?

If we caught an evil person whats the most we can do to him before he dies? Not much compared to what the Almighty can do. Truth is if one suffers in this life then his punishment in the grave and hell might be lightened because the Almighty is merciful. For some people i would like to see the maximum.

It was not my intention to focus on Uighers. Slave labor is prety much everywhere. Like i said, corruption (and greed) is pretty much global today.

Maes17

Superstar
Whether or not expensive brands offer higher quality is debatable.

In some cases, a pricey shirt might be slightly better quality, but that shirt loses practicality. In other words, luxury goods are great for photo-ops and going to grand events. I would argue like 99% of the luxury clothes owned literally sit in a closet 24/7.

At least luxury cars are more practical these days. Like you can actually drive them around comfortably. Nevertheless, I'll bet a lot of luxury cars barely get driven or sit in a garage 24/7.
Lexus is supposed luxury and Il just say. Overrated piece of fucking toyota trash.
At least toyota, you’re saving money. Toyota pushes lexus like it’s some royalty

Sunshine

Established
I have never been one to brandish brand-names, if you will, and I see your point that many, many people are infatuated with the caché that certain logos/names bestow on their person, by dint of association. I think it's human nature, though, and not some intrinsic fault of capitalism. Those companies mentioned have built reputations of quality, either through superior products, or mere advertising, or a combination of the two.

Used to be, Nike or Adidas was a sort of guarantee of quality, something that would last. Now it's all been farmed out, turned onto flimsy fast fashion, but for some things, you still get what you pay for.

I guarantee you that there are "luxury" brands you've probably never heard of, that people will go out of their way to spend more on, sometimes because of those same urges to "Social Competition," and sometimes because they like the higher quality. Not a lot of people going around wearing Patek Phillipe, Givenchy or Jo Malone, but if they could, they would. (My personal favorite is finding a nice Chaus silk blouse or a Calvin Klein piece in the thrift store! Again, I don't want the name emblazoned across the chest, but the quality of design and construction is noticeably better than, say, the walmart brand of whatever.)

I have abhorred for years the stranglehold a nation like China has on manufacturing, and I vehemently oppose their treatment and exploitation of Uigher and other ethnic minorities (A ship full of 13 tons of human hair for weaves! So people can pretend to have 4 foot long spiral curls! It's disgusting on so many levels.) Yet it wouldn't be there, in the market, if there was no demand.

I implore you all: check the Country of Origin on what you buy. It legally has to be on any imported product. Businesses get sketchy about it, making the COO smaller/less noticeable than that of the importer or parent company, but it has to be on the product or it's retail container, legibly and indelibly. And what goes in the US is likely to be true in the EU and everywhere else. (Most countries agree to such terms in order to be allowed to do trade business with other countries.)

If you have the choice to buy the cheap item from China, or spend the extra few cents, or dollar (or Euro) and get the one made in India, Vietnam or any other country, then PLEASE, choose the latter! WE can make the change we want to see. We literally have to put our money where our mouths are, because that is the only way companies, industries and governments are going to listen. That's the great thing about capitalism: It's a two-way street.

Maes17

Superstar
I have never been one to brandish brand-names, if you will, and I see your point that many, many people are infatuated with the caché that certain logos/names bestow on their person, by dint of association. I think it's human nature, though, and not some intrinsic fault of capitalism. Those companies mentioned have built reputations of quality, either through superior products, or mere advertising, or a combination of the two.

Used to be, Nike or Adidas was a sort of guarantee of quality, something that would last. Now it's all been farmed out, turned onto flimsy fast fashion, but for some things, you still get what you pay for.

I guarantee you that there are "luxury" brands you've probably never heard of, that people will go out of their way to spend more on, sometimes because of those same urges to "Social Competition," and sometimes because they like the higher quality. Not a lot of people going around wearing Patek Phillipe, Givenchy or Jo Malone, but if they could, they would. (My personal favorite is finding a nice Chaus silk blouse or a Calvin Klein piece in the thrift store! Again, I don't want the name emblazoned across the chest, but the quality of design and construction is noticeably better than, say, the walmart brand of whatever.)

I have abhorred for years the stranglehold a nation like China has on manufacturing, and I vehemently oppose their treatment and exploitation of Uigher and other ethnic minorities (A ship full of 13 tons of human hair for weaves! So people can pretend to have 4 foot long spiral curls! It's disgusting on so many levels.) Yet it wouldn't be there, in the market, if there was no demand.

I implore you all: check the Country of Origin on what you buy. It legally has to be on any imported product. Businesses get sketchy about it, making the COO smaller/less noticeable than that of the importer or parent company, but it has to be on the product or it's retail container, legibly and indelibly. And what goes in the US is likely to be true in the EU and everywhere else. (Most countries agree to such terms in order to be allowed to do trade business with other countries.)

If you have the choice to buy the cheap item from China, or spend the extra few cents, or dollar (or Euro) and get the one made in India, Vietnam or any other country, then PLEASE, choose the latter! WE can make the change we want to see. We literally have to put our money where our mouths are, because that is the only way companies, industries and governments are going to listen. That's the great thing about capitalism: It's a two-way street.
A lot of people grew up with companies like nike, adidas, etc. Companies/brands that sort of stood a test of time. Perhaps it’s a comfort and nostalgic thing. I think the overlooking the labor behind those brands is not lack of awareness but the fact that those brands just bring a certain sense of comfort.

Nikōn

Veteran
Imagine believing that by giving people tokens called “money” you could purchase the magical power to charm people by your appearance, through the means of displaying a certain “word of power” on your clothing. One would think such a belief very superstitious, something of a backward and primitive society from a jungle, not something which modern people would ever think of doing. But in fact this is exactly what we do, due to the fixation on the thing called “brand names”. People think that by displaying the word “Nike” or whatever they will be loved, appealing, attractive, have all the qualities they wish to display to the world.

Brand names are such a ubiquitous part of modern social life that a majority of people, or so it seems, are under their spell. I don’t doubt that there are people reading this who would actually find a person wearing them more interesting than a person who doesn’t. As if these clothes have some nobility about them, like something made in a sweatshop is actually a positive thing, suggesting the person porting it is of good character. Just a bunch of jumbled up words, assaulting our senses at all times, suggesting something while having no meaning at all.

Really, why on earth would a person buy Nike or other such brands? If you think about it clearly, those clothes are made in atrocious conditions. The people making them earn a meagre pittance, not even enough to sustain themselves despite living in countries with cheap basic commodities. They are forced to work long hours in hot factories with no fire exits, sewing away on their machines endlessly, repetitive meaningless labour. Exploited by corporations who have the resources to pay them equitably, but choose to let them starve for the sake of a few extra cents of profit. How could the beings who make them work in such hells, who do so for nothing more than their own paycheque, utterly without pity, possibly do such things to their fellow humans?

We call the system which permits and promotes this “Capitalism”. It uses the excuse that wealth will magically trickle down to poorer people to allow the unlimited accumulation of wealth by certain entities. These then use their financial might to avoid laws, demand tax breaks, and generally exploit their fellow humans and even countries to whatever extent they can pay for it, and in whatever way will ultimately lead to them becoming more profitable (and the cycle repeats, them ever ammasing illegitimate power).

It is essential that people consider before consuming these junk products which provide nothing more than an utterly meaningless momentary psychological high, whether it be in the form of personal sensations of happiness and conformity, or of the adoration of sycophants who can think of nothing better to admire than the fact that a person has branded themselves with the mark of psychological slavery. The slaves adore their masters, believing them benevolent, in the same way the slaves of consumerism adore a meaningless idol of words and logos which tyrannizes over them.

How primitive we really are! We struggle along, barely making enough money to live, and even in countries where minimum wage has a great deal of buying power, we still don’t have enough spare dinero to be blowing it on tshirts at £50 or more each. We could buy cheaper non-branded clothes and shoes, and look more unique and stylish to any person who isn’t brainwashed enough to be impressed by brand names. Of course some people do like to do this in the most self conscious and oddly conformist style, but it’s quite possible to do it sincerely.

Really we must just overthrow the tyranny of brand names. We must learn to appeal to people with our own personality and force of love, rather than through some other mysterious agency. It is like we are seeking the blessings of the saints – Saint “Nike”, Saint “Coca Cola”, Saint “Adidas”, like they will intervene before society’s judgement, which we fear. We must be ourselves, our most authentic personality, and this will naturally make us quite well-liked, because we are all unique and beautiful beings. Every bit of inauthenticity, especially when it promotes slavery and exploitation, is something which will detract from a happy and meaningful life.
I've always found brand clothing to be overrated but I've never been a fashion guy, I'm quite simple when it comes to clothes. I wear what is useful to different social situations and basically nothing more.

There is definitely a magical component to brand names I agree, however this is not limited to clothes, this is any kind of brand. What something is named often has a talismanic relationship to customers. I often find the names of a lot of products to be very suspicious these days, perfumes are another one where you have things literally named after negative traits that you want to instill in those who come into your presence, such as naming your brand "envy".
I would like to also connect this back to the idea of "memes" and how they relate to this.
Magic, memes, brands and so forth all directly connect. There is a whole psychological process that occurs with an effective brand name.
Of course if your products are plain garbage, a sadistic brand name still won't save it.

irrationalNinja

Veteran

I was going to comment on the OP to say I agreed, with the exception of shifting the blame from capitalism to socialism (as stated, the Chinese Communist Party has a solid market share in slave labor). However, I would much rather concur with your post, and proceed to pile on the CCP.

Checking labels to make sure we purchase nothing ‘Made in China’ is practically the only recourse we have against global financial takeover. The CCP’s insidious infiltration of Western markets has one aim: control the market, in order to destroy the market—after creating their own market, that is—because Communists hate the freedom that Capitalism provides people for self-determination.

Despite their disdain for self-determination, Marxists will use any means necessary, including capitalism, to further their altruistic cause of saving the world… much like Scientology. However, despite sounding as unscientific as Marxism, Scientology doesn’t contain as many lies as Marxism, Lol.

I wonder who would win in a bullshit contest: L. Ron Hubbard vs. Karl Marx?

Aero

Superstar
Lexus is supposed luxury and Il just say. Overrated piece of fucking toyota trash.
At least toyota, you’re saving money. Toyota pushes lexus like it’s some royalty
I drove a Toyota for like 8 years. I put the car through literal hell, and it was like "thank you sir, may I have another".

Maes17

Superstar
I drove a Toyota for like 8 years. I put the car through literal hell, and it was like "thank you sir, may I have another".
That’s my point. Just buy the cheaper toyota model instead of the “luxury” lexus model.

The toyota camry and lexus es are the same vehicle. All you’re paying for is leather seats, a few fancy features and a lexus logo

Aero

Superstar
That’s my point. Just buy the cheaper toyota model instead of the “luxury” lexus model.

The toyota camry and lexus es are the same vehicle. All you’re paying for is leather seats, a few fancy features and a lexus logo
I've heard that before. It's pretty crazy how bad people are getting hustled.

I always wondered what class gets robbed the most, and it seems highly debatable. Rich people are getting totally ripped with all these luxury goods, but the literal robbery taking place hurts them less. In effect, it's like open season on rich folks with cash. Society placates them with laws and entitlement, but that shit still has to sting.

Think Britney Spears conservatorship, only much more subtle.

Maldarker

Star
Remember the keep up with the joneses next door motif for years we have been seeing this & everyone bought into it.. BTW how much is considered rich in everyone's view point?

Tidal

Star
Sadly a lot of stuff is made in China, are we mad to buy it instead of buying stuff produced in our own countries?
I always make a point of buying anything labelled 'Made in Britain', but often stuff is not clearly labelled, and we only discover by reading the small print at home that it's foreign-produced.
PS- I don't drive, but I understand a lot of people buy foreign cars, and I can't help wondering why they don't buy cars made in their own countries?

juniper

Rookie
Sadly a lot of stuff is made in China, are we mad to buy it instead of buying stuff produced in our own countries?
I always make a point of buying anything labelled 'Made in Britain', but often stuff is not clearly labelled, and we only discover by reading the small print at home that it's foreign-produced.
PS- I don't drive, but I understand a lot of people buy foreign cars, and I can't help wondering why they don't buy cars made in their own countries?
I applaud your buying things made in your country. For those living in the States, when US politicians aided and abetted moving US manufacturing to China, manufacturing capability and knowledge was lost. (The idea that labor costs drove manufacturing to China is a false one, because for many items, labor cost is low anyway) This was an intentional act by traitor politicians who were bought off by foreign interests. Even if you want to buy items made in USA, for instance, they are not necessarily available, because the manufacturing base has been decimated. Foreign car "brands", however, do manufacture cars in the US, so buying a foreign "brand" car could still mean buying a car made in USA.