BTS discussion thread

theartbook35

Veteran
Most kpop idols should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Beyonce, MJ, Whitney, or Mariah Carey. It makes people hate them and no one takes them seriously.

Would a vocal coach be able to help him? It's been years, but he's gotten a lot worse. At least before the pandemic, he could sing ok in a normal range. High notes strained his voice. Do you think his company said anything about what happened? The rapline except for Sg didn't make waves. They're counting on Jm and Jk to keep the group alive during enlistment era.

Those idols are well trained. They didn't crack a smile or laugh when he was singing. Second and third gen would've been on the floor laughing.
Autotune hasn't helped him. Editing didn't help him either. I don't think anything can help him.

Last edited:

theartbook35

Veteran
basically yeah, IU always charts high on korea, the same reason Sugar used PSY in the past, he has conection with all those big artists in korea
YG definitely seeks out well known artists to promote his career. That's fair. After working with IU the first time, he did become friends with her, though. Which is likely why they worked together again. From what they both say about each other, they have a lot in common. (Also, I rarely, if ever give a crap about who anyone is dating, but if they are a couple by now I wouldn't be surprised. Although, to put a hole in my own speculation, YG is friends with every single woman he's collaborated with, all of whom have been confirmed to be simply friends and not partners. In general I think he works better with women than men).

Getting back to charting, I'll be less inclined to think the charts were manipulated if People Pt. 2 does well, because of IU. There will be some manipulation I'm sure, but nowhere near to the degree that JM's stuff was manipulated. Fans of YG's solo stuff have been clammering for his music ever since the first hints at D-Day were dropped last year. There's a clear "want" there that's different from JM. Same can be said about NJ's solo album; it did well because people had been looking forward to it and impatiently awaiting it.

cadiz

Star
YG definitely seeks out well known artists to promote his career. That's fair. After working with IU the first time, he did become friends with her, though. Which is likely why they worked together again. From what they both say about each other, they have a lot in common. (Also, I rarely, if ever give a crap about who anyone is dating, but if they are a couple by now I wouldn't be surprised. Although, to put a hole in my own speculation, YG is friends with every single woman he's collaborated with, all of whom have been confirmed to be simply friends and not partners. In general I think he works better with women than men).
IU is dating an actor she confirmed not long ago

Breaking: IU And Lee Jong Suk Confirmed To Be Dating

so I think she and Sugar are just friends, like we know he has a lot of friends on that industry

theartbook35

Veteran
no doubt the company has some favorites

Sugar will be making a documentary about his solo album, his album also will havre big collaborations (like the singer IU), he has a lot of friends on that industry
I would say Sugar and JM are the favorites of Bang Pedo right now

I go back and forth in my head a lot about whether or not YG gets favoritism from PD.

The reasons I think he's not a favorite come down to how he was treated in the group's early days, and how he's been treated overall. For example, he was never provided with security when travelling, and has been harmed emotionally and physically because of it. He's never been given the sort of privileges as members like NJ, either. NJ never gets censored, and is the main producer, though his production skills aren't that good (he's a better lyricist). Artists either reach out to YG to collaborate, or he reaches out to them. The label doesn't set up his collaborations outside of BT5, except for when it's promotional content for a brand/film/comic/etc. When YG produces something for a bandmate, that is always fabricated by the label.

The reasons I do think he's a favorite is because he's allowed to do a lot of stuff. The label has always provided support to his music, with very few exceptions to that. His music has received way more traffic over time than any other BT5 member, and so the label is going to fund that. He's got Suchwita, the documentary, Valentino and NBA ambassador. It's a lot of stuff in a very short time, 100% leading up to this solo album. PD is pushing YG into the spotlight hard, but with YG there's actual talent there, there's artistry there, so it's not as noticeable that he's being pumped as a favorite. PD was also fascinated by YG's pale complexion and quite vocal about it.

What I find amusing, is that I don't think YG likes PD at all. The lack of friendliness between them during that time PD arrived at the Grammys and got touchy with JM, make me think this. I would hazard a guess that YG probably is using PD for the money, promotion and resources to advance his career. When it comes to music YG is self-serving, and he has talked about this in interviews more than once.

theartbook35

Veteran
Yoongi alter ego Agust D come back :

I like the song, but I thought the video was boring.

All i heared is " i know you know anything does know" lol. Very repetitive lyrics. Their real talent is coming out now. Svt is better than them. Is it me or anyone his eng lines were different than his actual voice
YG can't really sing... he puts a lot of effects and autotune on his voice to hide it. Some of the his vocals though are harmonies with IU. Honestly, those I liked. In the live performance they did together, the harmonies sound a little off key, though compared to JM it's nowhere near as bad. I'll take a slightly off key harmony set to a live band over JM's chaotically bad voice any day. Not the best, but it could be a lot worse.

Here's the translation of the lyrics: https://genius.com/Genius-english-translations-agust-d-people-pt2-ft-iu-english-translation-lyrics

It's best understood if combined with the lyrics of People from D-2, and with So Far Away. As usual his music is deeply personal.

YG has a lot of negative feelings toward his childhood. A lot of resentment toward so many things. I think he's looking at where he came from, and where he is now though, and realizing he wants to settle down more. When it comes to music he is very selfish and it does effect his relationships (he has been open about this). I get the impression from his third verse that he has passed up on a lot of opportunities to have a meaningful romantic relationship because he's put his music first. YG also really likes money, not in a spoiled, cruel kind of way, but more in a "money provides security" kind of a way. You grow up without something for a significant portion of your life, and then you get that thing, it's hard to give it up. Believe me, having gone through the exact same thing, I understand it. I think he's also coming to terms with the fact that he's lonely, and he's responsible for that loneliness. There's a lot of self-examination and wisdom there that I appreciate.

That being said, yeah, the lyrics are repetitive. IU does have a pretty voice, which is shown here, though I also would have liked to hear her more. YG does tend to favor a voice that's there for effect, there to sing one specific part, but he takes the lead with the rest of the song. He does this with everyone he works with, like it's one of those artistic habits.

Last edited:

e-Enoch

Superstar
it seems Hy-be are playing the shipping thing with Sugar and JM now

it seems both their songs have the "i know you know" thing on repeat, and of course shippers say is a sign of their real love (but it's basically publicity to keep people talking)

someone mentioned JM and Sugar are closer than ever now, must be because JK is fighting with the company so they can't promote Ji-kook that much
we know JM always needs a ship
Here's a video clip showing a close up of Bang's hand on Jm's a**... and look how Sug tried to "block it" ... to "protect" Jm... That uncomfortable look on Sug's face says a lot...

ghramos

Established
I go back and forth in my head a lot about whether or not YG gets favoritism from PD.

The reasons I think he's not a favorite come down to how he was treated in the group's early days, and how he's been treated overall. For example, he was never provided with security when travelling, and has been harmed emotionally and physically because of it. He's never been given the sort of privileges as members like NJ, either. NJ never gets censored, and is the main producer, though his production skills aren't that good (he's a better lyricist). Artists either reach out to YG to collaborate, or he reaches out to them. The label doesn't set up his collaborations outside of BT5, except for when it's promotional content for a brand/film/comic/etc. When YG produces something for a bandmate, that is always fabricated by the label.

The reasons I do think he's a favorite is because he's allowed to do a lot of stuff. The label has always provided support to his music, with very few exceptions to that. His music has received way more traffic over time than any other BT5 member, and so the label is going to fund that. He's got Suchwita, the documentary, Valentino and NBA ambassador. It's a lot of stuff in a very short time, 100% leading up to this solo album. PD is pushing YG into the spotlight hard, but with YG there's actual talent there, there's artistry there, so it's not as noticeable that he's being pumped as a favorite. PD was also fascinated by YG's pale complexion and quite vocal about it.

What I find amusing, is that I don't think YG likes PD at all. The lack of friendliness between them during that time PD arrived at the Grammys and got touchy with JM, make me think this. I would hazard a guess that YG probably is using PD for the money, promotion and resources to advance his career. When it comes to music YG is self-serving, and he has talked about this in interviews more than once.
I agree. YG is about his music at any cost.Imo YG’s alter ego title track from 1st mixtape lyrics says “this K-pop category ain’t enough size for me whoo.”

Last edited:

ghramos

Established
I like the song, but I thought the video was boring.

YG can't really sing... he puts a lot of effects and autotune on his voice to hide it. Some of the his vocals though are harmonies with IU. Honestly, those I liked. In the live performance they did together, the harmonies sound a little off key, though compared to JM it's nowhere near as bad. I'll take a slightly off key harmony set to a live band over JM's chaotically bad voice any day. Not the best, but it could be a lot worse.

Here's the translation of the lyrics: https://genius.com/Genius-english-translations-agust-d-people-pt2-ft-iu-english-translation-lyrics

It's best understood if combined with the lyrics of People from D-2, and with So Far Away. As usual his music is deeply personal.

YG has a lot of negative feelings toward his childhood. A lot of resentment toward so many things. I think he's looking at where he came from, and where he is now though, and realizing he wants to settle down more. When it comes to music he is very selfish and it does effect his relationships (he has been open about this). I get the impression from his third verse that he has passed up on a lot of opportunities to have a meaningful romantic relationship because he's put his music first. YG also really likes money, not in a spoiled, cruel kind of way, but more in a "money provides security" kind of a way. You grow up without something for a significant portion of your life, and then you get that thing, it's hard to give it up. Believe me, having gone through the exact same thing, I understand it. I think he's also coming to terms with the fact that he's lonely, and he's responsible for that loneliness. There's a lot of self-examination and wisdom there that I appreciate.

That being said, yeah, the lyrics are repetitive. IU does have a pretty voice, which is shown here, though I also would have liked to hear her more. YG does tend to favor a voice that's there for effect, there to sing one specific part, but he takes the lead with the rest of the song. He does this with everyone he works with, like it's one of those artistic habits.
His music is his passion. He sacrificed love for his first love: music. I hope his finds the balance of work and love.

Last edited:

MeowWoww

Watching older videos and from things I've heard, staff are often sasaengs or partners and friends to idols. They're very isolated from loved ones and turn to staff and fans for attention. A girl embarrassed an idol by saying he got too personal with her.
Hey yall! ive been reading/following this chat for a loonnnngg time and liked a ton of comments within this thread, but my first time joining the chat :) so this comment thanks for the info Ive often wondered how things go with staff behind the scenes, i mean they are with the guys more than anyone else (and other Hive ppl of course) so now im super curious who the embarrassed idol was and if the girl gave details about it?

e-Enoch

Superstar
I agree. YG is about his music at any cost.Imo YG’s alter ego title track from 1st mixtape lyrics says “this K-pop category ain’t enough size for me whoo.”
Alters (alter egos) are often considered demonic personalities occupying a person's spirit... August D, the "famous" alter of Sug is full of anger and rebellion...and that seems to dominate Sug's inner personality... his apparent "calm and quiet" demeanor is not his true self...

e-Enoch

Superstar
Hey yall! ive been reading/following this chat for a loonnnngg time and liked a ton of comments within this thread, but my first time joining the chat :) so this comment thanks for the info Ive often wondered how things go with staff behind the scenes, i mean they are with the guys more than anyone else (and other Hive ppl of course) so now im super curious who the embarrassed idol was and if the girl gave details about it?
Hi! Welcome to the forum! :)

ghramos

Established
Alters (alter egos) are often considered demonic personalities occupying a person's spirit... August D, the "famous" alter of Sug is full of anger and rebellion...and that seems to dominate Sug's inner personality... his apparent "calm and quiet" demeanor is not his true self...
Yes, I am aware. This specific alter ego raps that “KPop ain’t enough“ for him, and could be the force behind his ambition to excel in music. Imo

minnie82

Superstar
Hello,welcome..