God The Father: Do you hold a low view of him?

Lyfe

Star

We are called to overcome and endure until the end, but I am definitely convinced(through scripture and my own walk) that God does indeed keep and preserves his own. The foundation we lay before other saints is important, because if all we do is reinforce the passages that call for endurance and repentance then it will likely create an anxiety based mindset in the long run. It makes a person tend to focus on self and their own works and efforts and overtime this usually ferments a distrust toward God. God is looking to extend his grace and reveal himself as The Father, but if we are only just focused on "making it" and living in fear and anxiety then we will likely miss out on this comforting reality and eventually burn out and fold to all the pressure.

How many promises are contained in scripture about Gods love as a father toward his adopted ones? Does he not promise to chasten and even go after his one sheep in order to bring them back when they go astray? How many times are we promised in scripture that God preserves his people? How many times are we told to just simply TRUST in him? Reminding someone of their identity in Christ as a beloved son or daughter to God is just as important as reinforcing the consequences of sin, apostasy, and disobedience, because a sole emphasis on the latter will create a focus on self and sin and not on Christ and what is already wonderfully ours through him(by him adopting us into the love, graces, and provision of God The Father). It creates a focus on self rather than the law of Christ that seeks the good of others. God doesnt want us stuck in a state of being constantly worrying about our salvation. He wants us focused on the love that seeks the good and uplifting of others. He chose us to bear fruit(John 15:16) and to fulfill the law of Christ by bearing one anothers burdens(Galatians 6:2)

There are allot of people who have never really been taught their Identity in Christ and, because of this they hold a low to non existent view of God as a faithful father. They think they are always one sin away from being cast off. The vast majority of earthly fathers wouldn't disown their own kids, because of stumbling or struggling. Why would God? His children know when are misbehaving (through the spirit). The reverence of him is in their hearts(Jeremiah 32:40) as a result of being consecrated to him at the moment of salvation. We need to adopt the right view of God as The Father.

Consider Gods promise to David in regards to his son Solomon.

I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. I will not take my steadfast love from him 1 Chronicles 17:13

In Psalm 89 God promised that he would chasten Davids offspring when they went astray, but he would NOT remove his love for them.

Psalm 89:30-33

English Standard Version

30 If his children forsake my law
and do not walk according to my rules,[a]
31 if they violate my statutes
and do not keep my commandments,
32 then I will punish their transgression with the rod
and their iniquity with stripes,

33 but I WILL NOT REMOVE from him my steadfast love
or be false to my faithfulness.

Now search how many times in the psalms it is said that he 'preserves' and 'sustains' his righteous ones. The following is just one of MANY passages.

For the LORD loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are PRESERVED forever Psalm 37:28

The truth is that we dont endure and arrive into his arms by our own efforts to hold unto him, but by his holding unto us. He encourages us, protects us, empowers us, sustains us, and chastens us just like any loving Father would. The very desire that one would even have to endure until the end comes purely from God himself and his divine work of grace on the heart!

1 Peter 1:1-5

King James Version

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

2 ELECT according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

5 Who are KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 John 5:1-5

5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN BORN OF GOD OVERCOMES THE WORLD. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Dalit

Star

We are called to overcome and endure until the end, but I am definitely convinced(through scripture and my own walk) that God does indeed keep and preserves his own. The foundation we lay before other saints is important, because if all we do is reinforce the passages that call for endurance and repentance then it will likely create an anxiety based mindset in the long run. It makes a person tend to focus on self and their own works and efforts and overtime this usually ferments a distrust toward God. God is looking to extend his grace and reveal himself as The Father, but if we are only just focused on "making it" and living in fear and anxiety then we will likely miss out on this comforting reality and eventually burn out and fold to all the pressure.

How many promises are contained in scripture about Gods love as a father toward his adopted ones? Does he not promise to chasten and even go after his one sheep in order to bring them back when they go astray? How many times are we promised in scripture that God preserves his people? How many times are we told to just simply TRUST in him? Reminding someone of their identity in Christ as a beloved son or daughter to God is just as important as reinforcing the consequences of sin, apostasy, and disobedience, because a sole emphasis on the latter will create a focus on self and sin and not on Christ and what is already wonderfully ours through him(by him adopting us into the love, graces, and provision of God The Father). It creates a focus on self rather than the law of Christ that seeks the good of others. God doesnt want us stuck in a state of being constantly worrying about our salvation. He wants us focused on the love that seeks the good and uplifting of others. He chose us to bear fruit(John 15:16) and to fulfill the law of Christ by bearing one anothers burdens(Galatians 6:2)

There are allot of people who have never really been taught their Identity in Christ and, because of this they hold a low to non existent view of God as a faithful father. They think they are always one sin away from being cast off. The vast majority of earthly fathers wouldn't disown their own kids, because of stumbling or struggling. Why would God? His children know when are misbehaving (through the spirit). The reverence of him is in their hearts(Jeremiah 32:40) as a result of being consecrated to him at the moment of salvation. We need to adopt the right view of God as The Father.

Consider Gods promise to David in regards to his son Solomon.

I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. I will not take my steadfast love from him 1 Chronicles 17:13

In Psalm 89 God promised that he would chasten Davids offspring when they went astray, but he would NOT remove his love for them.

Psalm 89:30-33

English Standard Version

30 If his children forsake my law
and do not walk according to my rules,[a]
31 if they violate my statutes
and do not keep my commandments,
32 then I will punish their transgression with the rod
and their iniquity with stripes,

33 but I WILL NOT REMOVE from him my steadfast love
or be false to my faithfulness.

Now search how many times in the psalms it is said that he 'preserves' and 'sustains' his righteous ones. The following is just one of MANY passages.

For the LORD loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are PRESERVED forever Psalm 37:28

The truth is that we dont endure and arrive into his arms by our own efforts to hold unto him, but by his holding unto us. He encourages us, protects us, empowers us, sustains us, and chastens us just like any loving Father would. The very desire that one would even have to endure until the end comes purely from God himself and his divine work of grace on the heart!

1 Peter 1:1-5

King James Version

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

2 ELECT according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

5 Who are KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 John 5:1-5

5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN BORN OF GOD OVERCOMES THE WORLD. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
Have felt led to study this lately since I had only occasional instances of observing godly Christian fathers since I didn't have one of my own. The lack of good parenting, especially by a father, can lead people to be uncomfortable with God as Father, which I'm sure is a plot of the enemy and the last thing God would want. Good study!

P.S. This also leads to egalitarianism vs. complementarianism, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Lyfe

Star
Have felt led to study this lately since I had only occasional instances of observing godly Christian fathers since I didn't have one of my own. The lack of good parenting, especially by a father, can lead people to be uncomfortable with God as Father, which I'm sure is a plot of the enemy and the last thing God would want. Good study!

P.S. This also leads to egalitarianism vs. complementarianism, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
I didn't know my biological father. Me and my step dad were never very close and I haven't spoken to him in years. It is an important teaching. In my honest opinion it's one of the first things somebody should be taught in coming to Christ.

Sadly people grew up being fathered by Jay Z and Lil Wayne in my day.

Lyfe

Star
If we make the focus of our walk with Christ about our own efforts and strivings to enter into God's kingdom rather than acknowledging his faithfulness and his identity to us as our father then we will eventually come to a point of burning out from stress. We will develop and live with an anxiety based mindset that will always leave a person wondering if they will ever make it. This is antithetical to trusting God and will ferment very harmful strongholds within a person over time. We cannot be properly motivated in this way in an manner that God delights in. God wants you to trust in his mercy, his love, his patience, and his deliverence at all times. He wants you to call upon him and trust him at all times!

If someone has received Christ and become a son of God through the spirit of adoption and if they slip up and fall into sin then they will inwardly perceive their offense, because the holy spirit will produce conviction, godly sorrow, and the reverential fear of God in them in regard to the idea of continuing in their sin.

Now with that said I believe that fear of being cast into hell for a child of God is wrong. If someone is a son of God then they should fear the chastisement and discipline of their father if their attitude becomes one of being stiff-necked, but they should not fear their father disowning them. God will discipline his child and bring them to repentance so they won't be condemned along with those who resist and reject God. If I perceive someone is a son or daughter of God and their attitude toward their sin has become proud and callous I tell them they should be afraid of the rod of correction which can be very severe at times. The fear of hell and the fear of being disciplined by a father produce two different attitudes. Fear of hell produces anxiety and mistrust in a child of God and fear of chastening strengthens trust as it gives one confidence in God's faithfulness. If you are a child of God and persist in sin to the point of becoming hardened and arrogant then you should be afraid that your father will visit you and chastise you, because he loves you and that is what a father does, but if you are living in fear God will disown you and throw you into hell, because you can't find freedom from sin then I believe you are not being influenced rightly or have a right view of who God is toward you now! If the reverential fear of God is in you and you are grieved over your sin then you have reason to be confident that God is for you!

The Father will not suffer his faithfulness to fail or allow his holy and beloved children to be condemned! His word says, I will not fail you!

Yet when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned along with the world. 1 Corinthians 11:32

Behold, GOD IS MY HELPER; the Lord is the upholder of my life. Psalm 54:4