How can I make my thread gain more traction?

EatZeBug

Established
A lot of the replies are my own. Maybe the topic is too niche or boring for people but there are other 'niche interest' threads which have proportionately more views than mine.
1695276281085.png

Is my title boring? Is there just not much interest in Talking Heads who are suddenly having a reunion again? I know it is an old, disbanded band, but that doesn't mean people aren't still interested. People here have interest in other musicians who are dead though like Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon. Talking Heads is just as weird of a rabbit hole if you look into it, believe me, especially their lead singer.
Is my writing bad?
Please give me some advice.

Last edited:

Daze

Superstar
6k views isn't bad. There are many threads here with much less views and engagement.

Personally i wont bother if the thread itself doesn't seem interesting. But the majority of the boards have been this way for me for several weeks now.

Post whatever you want. As they say you can't please everyone. When you find something that resonates with people they will join in.

Zakat

Star
A lot of the replies are my own. Maybe the topic is too niche or boring for people but there are other 'niche interest' threads which have proportionately more views than mine.
View attachment 91548

Is my title boring? Is there just not much interest in Talking Heads who are suddenly having a reunion again? I know it is an old, disbanded band, but that doesn't mean people aren't still interested. People here have interest in other musicians who are dead though like Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon. Talking Heads is just as weird of a rabbit hole if you look into it, believe me, especially their lead singer.
Is my writing bad?
I wouldn't worry about views or results but that is just me.

polymoog

Superstar
Is my writing bad?
my advice: change the title back to where you mentioned 'new wave' in it. i think youll get more views. 'byrne' is very specific and many might not want to check it out because they might not know who he is. a lot of the traffic here, sadly, (besides the bots) is on the kpop topic anyway.

your writing is fine and youve done thorough research.

EatZeBug

Established
my advice: change the title back to where you mentioned 'new wave' in it. i think youll get more views. 'byrne' is very specific and many might not want to check it out because they might not know who he is. a lot of the traffic here, sadly, (besides the bots) is on the kpop topic anyway.

your writing is fine and youve done thorough research.
I changed it because like 90% of the thread is about him and Talking Heads but maybe I will change it back

Yeah, i dont have any advice (and i felt guilty commenting on this thread because i haven't gone to your thread mentioned, since i don't know who talking heads or david byrne is), but i just wanted to say i feel you.

On my longest thread 95%+ of the posts are mine lol.

I think due to the subject matter there was no way to salvage it, and most people probably boycotted it. (Speaking about mine)

But i got some good secondhand advice here - keep posts shorter, don't overpost long videos, not too many links (personally i try to quote the relevant parts rather than sending people off).

Remember, this site gets plenty of lurkers compared to members, so if something is important to you i would say to post it anyway even if literally no one on here agrees or engages with it.

Actually on that note - people who are not logged in can't see attachment images clearly, i remember finding that frustrating back when i used to just lurk. But i think linked images can be seen by all? So maybe in the case of images, if possible, use those that can be seen by nonmembers as well. (Don't know if this applies to your thread, but thought i would mention it)

Flarepath

Star
I want more engagement so that more people can help provide resources, knowledge and input.

There's no guarantee that people will engage with anything we say, for example I posted this pic below in the 'Gun Owners Thread' about Alec Baldwin who said in the news "I never pulled the trigger", so I posted to ask if guns went off on their own and expected lots of replies, but surprisingly nobody answered, not a sausage..:)

Baldwin gun.jpg

Flarepath

Star
There's no guarantee that people will engage with anything we say, for example I posted this pic below in the 'Gun Owners Thread' about Alec Baldwin who said in the news "I never pulled the trigger", so I posted to ask if guns went off on their own and expected lots of replies, but surprisingly nobody answered, not a sausage..:)

View attachment 91596
because it does not belong there. thats a stupid news event which adds nothing to the real discussion.

I'm a Brit so what the hell do I know about guns, so I thought i'd learn a bit by asking about Baldwin in the Gun thread as I assumed there were plenty of Americans here who knew about guns, but perhaps I was wrong?..;)

I can definitely understand wanting more engagement in something we are trying to say that we are passionate about. It can be frustrating when the thread almost goes nowhere.
It is true that there are more lurkers than anything on here. And it's very true that alot of the posters are in the Kpop threads, the amount of replies on those are so crazy lol.
Hope your posts get more revenue!

Stucky

Star
The thread itself was fine and i'd echo much of what has been said here. But i'd also point out that when everyone is in agreement it doesn't cause much of a stir. But if a couple of posters start disagreeing with what others are saying then threads tend to hit maximum velocity.

What you really need in a thread like that is a couple of scoundrels who just like disagreeing for disagreements sake

EatZeBug

Established
The thread itself was fine and i'd echo much of what has been said here. But i'd also point out that when everyone is in agreement it doesn't cause much of a stir. But if a couple of posters start disagreeing with what others are saying then threads tend to hit maximum velocity.

What you really need in a thread like that is a couple of scoundrels who just like disagreeing for disagreements sake
That's because we're not hormonal young K-pop fans... HAHAHA (or bots for that matter) I know because I used to be a hardcore BTS fan who would frequent the BTS Discussion Thread . It was a social feedback loop obsession.
From what I have observed, usually New Wave esp. Most older TH fans are reserved, artistic (and often autistic) people who keep to themselves, and are busy with life. They're probably still (old-school) leftists/progressives, because you have to be high in openness to be into Talking Heads and those other quirky bands, but they're usually the chill kind who probably aren't into transgendering children and mad stuff like that, not the annoying kind. (Side note: I am right wing/conservative and high in openness, which makes me very rare, misunderstood and lonely and I get mistreated by both sides, but it goes with the 'tism I guess so I'm used to it hehe. Most other conservatives I talk to just listen to hymns, CCM and classical or no music at all.)

But... I have also seen a lot of young TH/New Wave fans online who are trying to shove the woke agenda down everybody's throats.
Almost all of the Talking Heads fans I have seen online who are under the age of 30 are extremely woke, LGBT (esp. Transgender) and see David Byrne as a messiah and Chris and Tina as 'Ableist scum' devils from the depths of hades. They do stupid stuff like photoshopping transgender stuff over Talking Heads albums and get tonnes of likes. The funniest ones are the 'non-binary', lesbian girls who hate white men but think David Byrne was hot as hell. Last time I checked, he's a dreaded 'cis white man'? Yes, I have seen these people on Twitter, Discord and Instagram and they're real, unless they're bots... Well then they're pretty hilarious bots... But I guess it's such a niche, unlike K-pop that it doesn't attract such an audience here. Those people wouldn't think to look here. It's the last place they'd look. Unless I made a post in the Facebook group or reddit pretending to say 'Look at this wacky conspiracy theorist slandering our high priest of Discordianism and hairy arms!!'...
Maybe his influence is rubbing off on me because this idea ironically seems a bit Discordian in and of itself! :p

Last edited: