How can there be free will when there is universal will?

Just as what will happen to us is known for sure, how we will use our will is also already known. Where, when and how will someone do evil to me? This is written. This is my fate. Therefore, his/her destiny is to do this evil. So how can I (rationally, free from my instincts) blame him/her?

Haich

Superstar
Just as what will happen to us is known for sure, how we will use our will is also already known. Where, when and how will someone do evil to me? This is written. This is my fate. Therefore, his/her destiny is to do this evil. So how can I (rationally, free from my instincts) blame him/her?
it is willed for that person to do wrong to you because they chose to. They have a choice not to, that’s the point of freewill. So Allah’s will is an amalgamation of our choices and obstacles or paths that he puts to us to ultimately steer us towards Him.

Now from your perspective if they do wrong or harm you, the rationale behind that is dependent on the situation. God’s wisdom outweighs our limited understanding. Is it a trial for you? Is it to make you realise that this person isn’t one to keep close? Is it a way for you to return to God and ask for help? It really depends on the situation.

if anyone harms you knowingly, then that’s a choice that they made and Allah willed their choice.

if anyone harms you knowingly, then that’s a choice that they made and Allah willed their choice.
If his choice was willed by the universal will/power, it means he has no choice. I have control of everything. I willed you will steal something tomorrow. This will happen for sure. I can even say "it happened" for this. The dilemma you faced before doing this is not above my will. So you have no free will.

Haich

Superstar
If his choice was willed by the universal will/power, it means he has no choice. I have control of everything. I willed you will steal something tomorrow. This will happen for sure. I can even say "it happened" for this. The dilemma you faced before doing this is not above my will. So you have no free will.
I’m not sure you understand my point. Maybe I didn’t communicate it well. I’ll try again.
I was using the example you presented of one intending to do you harm.

The choice determines the will in this case. God knows someone will harm you and it’s written. It’s not written for no reason, God doesn’t just decide oh let me inspire that person to harm thursdayafternoon. The person who wants to harm you has to make the decision to do so then carry out the action and as a result of that, what God knew was going to happen happens. This can be changed though.

If you pray to God as a believer and ask him for guidance or protection or clarity, you might realise this person is going to harm you and avoid it. Or, God might save you from the situation. His will wasn’t written at the beginning of time set in stone, it’s subject to change through His choice. Dua is one way where someone’s ‘destiny’ can change.

So I think where you’re going wrong is you’re assuming we have no free will because everything is written. You’re not grasping that the free will determines what’s written and can be subject to change by Allah.

Haich

Superstar
I guess some would argue why does God allow for harm or suffering. Why did such and such happen to me or them, we are now in turmoil. I think this question shows a lack of understanding or maybe a lack of acceptance that this life, this Earth, this existence is created for trials and tribulations. No one is exempt from this. Some are tried through sickness like prophet Ayub, some are tried through grievance like prophet Yakub.
To the believer, if good falls upon him and his path is smooth alhamdulilah. If bad falls upon him and he struggles, alhamdulilah. The absence of good has benefit, I’m sure you’ve experienced things that were perceived as bad and some time later you realised it was good for you.

قُل لَّن يُصِيبَنَا إِلَّا مَا كَتَبَ اللَّـهُ لَنَا هُوَ مَوْلَانَا ۚ وَعَلَى اللَّـهِ فَلْيَتَوَكَّلِ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ
Qul lan yusībanā illā mā kataballāhu lanā huwa mawlānā wa-‘alallāhi falyatawakkalil-mu’minūn
Say, ‘Nothing will befall us except what Allah has ordained for us. He is our master, and in Allah let the believers put their trust.’
(Sūrat al-Tawbah, No 9, Āyat 51)

Zakat

Star
Universal will to me means He Is Willing the universe to constantly expand.

He Is
1698760926867.png
Free will means humans and djinns have the choice between good and bad and every one of us are accountable to Him.

Chapter 42 - The Consultation
Verse 30

Whatever hardship befalls you is the result of your own deeds. God pardons many of your sins.

These questions about predestination and freewill comes in my mind and creates confusion. I came across this article which I found thorough in its explanation.

Alanantic

Star
"Seeing that our birth involves the blending of these two things--the body, on the one hand, that we share with animals, and, on the other hand, rationality and intelligence, that we share with the gods--most of us incline to this former relationship, wretched and dead though it is, while only a few to the one that is divine and blessed." -- Epictetus

Haich

Superstar
"Seeing that our birth involves the blending of these two things--the body, on the one hand, that we share with animals, and, on the other hand, rationality and intelligence, that we share with the gods--most of us incline to this former relationship, wretched and dead though it is, while only a few to the one that is divine and blessed." -- Epictetus
erm no we don’t share anything in common with God. He’s above his creation.

Alanantic

Star
erm no we don’t share anything in common with God. He’s above his creation.
What is it within you that keeps you alive?

"I have said, ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. -- Psalms 82:6

Zakat

Star

"I have said, ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. -- Psalms 82:6
How can we be when we were once nothing?

Nothing!

See, I can picture mini-me, dot-like, growing in dimension, diameter, and circumference, slowly, over time.

So who does this?

Is it the mother's womb?

Is it the daddy's will?

How about when they are both asleep?

Who returns the soul to the body?

To God we belong and to Him we are all slowly returning.

Holy Qur'an Chapter 112, The Sincerity, Verse 4

"Nor is there to Him ANY equivalent.”

Zakat

Star
A Being Who Always Was.

It does not befit the dignity of a King to liken himself to His subjects.

What would you say of a king should he abase himself to say, the jester's level?

Attachments

Last edited:

A Freeman

Superstar
You seemed to be confused about what free-will actually is, perhaps likewise hindered by the mental constraints of linear time.

Free-will, as it is defined in God's Law, is the God-given right to choose between good and evil.

Deuteronomy 30:15-20
30:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
30:16 In that I command thee this day to love the "I AM" thy God, to walk in His Ways, and to keep His Commandments and His Statutes and His Judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the "I AM" thy God shall bless thee in the land where thou goest to possess it.
30:17 But IF thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;
30:18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, [and that] ye shall not prolong [your] days upon the land, where thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing (see Deut. 28): THEREFORE CHOOSE LIFE, that both thou and thy seed may live:
30:20 That thou mayest love the "I AM" thy God, [and] that thou mayest obey His voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto Him: for He [is] thy Life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the "I AM" sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob/Israel, to give them.

Our Creator is The Self-Existent ONE Who exists outside of linear time, the physical universe and everyone and everything in it. As He created ALL of these things (including linear time), He has already seem everything that has ever happened (the past), is currently happening now (the present), and that will ever happen (the future), and therefore knows ALL.

Knowing what is going to happen and acting upon that knowledge are two very different things. As free-will is a God-given right, God honors that right regardless of our choice. If God were to do otherwise He would be in breach of His Own Promise (God forbid!) and we would be mere automatons rather than living, spiritual-Beings.

We have been given this 6000 year period here on Earth to exercise our own free-will in choosing good over evil or vice-versa. And it is directly upon our actions, set in motion by our free-will choices, that all of us will be righteously judged on the Last Day.

We are the children of Whom/whom we choose to listen to and obey.

A Freeman

Superstar
Sura 18:29. Say, "The truth is from your Lord (John 17:17)": let him who will, believe, and let him who will, reject (it): for the wrong-doers We have prepared a Fire whose (smoke and flames), like the walls and roof of a tent, will hem them in: if they implore relief they will be granted water like melted brass, that will scald their faces, how dreadful the drink! How uncomfortable a couch to recline on!

A Freeman

Superstar
Sura 76

Surah 76. Time, Man, (every) Man, This (day-and-age)

76:1. Has there not been over man a long period of Time, when he was nothing - (not even) mentioned?
76:2. Verily We created man from a drop of mingled sperm, in order to use him for testing (the Being locked inside - Sura 2:34): so We gave him (the gifts), of Hearing and Sight.
76:3. We showed him The Way: whether he be grateful or ungrateful (rests on his own free-will).
76:4. For the Rejecters We have prepared Chains, Yokes, and a Blazing Fire.
76:5. As to the Righteous, they shall drink of a Cup (of Wine) mixed with Camphor,-
76:6. A Fountain where the Devotees of "I AM" do drink, making it flow in unstinted abundance.
76:7. They perform (their) vows (and do what they say they will do), and they fear a Day whose evil flies far and wide.
76:8. And they feed, for the love of "I AM", the destitute, the orphan, and the captive,-
76:9. (Saying),"We feed you for the sake of "I AM" alone: no reward do we desire from you, nor thanks (Matthew 6:1-8).
76:10. We only fear a Day of distressful Wrath from the side of our Lord."
76:11. But "I AM" will deliver them from the evil of that Day, and will shed over them a Light of Beauty and (blissful) Joy.
76:12. And because they were Patient and Constant, He will reward them with a Garden and (garments of) silk.
76:13. Reclining in the (Garden) on raised thrones, they will see there neither the Sun's (excessive heat) nor (the Moon's) excessive cold (Revelation 22:5).
76:14. And the shades of The (Garden) will come low over them, and the bunches (of fruit), there, will hang low in humility.
76:15. And amongst them will be passed round vessels of silver and goblets of crystal,-
76:16. Crystal-clear, made of silver: they will determine the measure thereof (according to their wishes).
76:17. And they will be given to drink there of a Cup (of Wine) mixed with Ginger,-
76:18. A fountain there, called "Seek The Way" ("The Water of Life").
76:19. And round about them will (serve) youths of perpetual (freshness): if thou seest them, thou wouldst think them scattered Pearls.
76:20. And when thou lookest, it is there thou wilt see a Bliss and a Realm Magnificent.
76:21. Upon them will be green Garments of fine silk and heavy brocade, and they will be adorned with Bracelets of silver; and their Lord will give to them to drink of a New Wine Pure and Holy (Matthew 9:17).
76:22. "Verily this is a Reward for you, and your Endeavour is accepted and recognised."
76:23. It is We Who have sent down the Koran to thee by stages.
76:24. Therefore be patient with constancy to the Command of thy Lord, and hearken not to the sinner or the ingrate among them.
76:25. And celebrate the name of thy Lord morning and evening,
76:26. And part of the night (1 Thess. 5:2), prostrate thyself to Him and glorify Him a long night through (2 Pet. 3:8-10).
76:27. As to these, they love the fleeting life, and put away behind them a Day (that will be) hard.
76:28. It is We Who created them, and We have made their joints strong but, when We will, We can substitute the like of them by a complete change.
76:29. This is a warning: whosoever will, let him take The (Straight) Way to his Lord.
76:30. But ye will not, except as "I AM" wills; for "I AM" is full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
76:31. He will admit to His Mercy whom He will but the wrong-doers,- for them has He prepared a grievous Penalty.

Haich

Superstar

your soul. When that goes, you die. Doesn’t make us akin to God and we are certainly not God’s children. We are an extension of his creation. Just because the soul is divinely created doesn’t make it divine.

Alanantic

Star
your soul. When that goes, you die. Doesn’t make us akin to God and we are certainly not God’s children. We are an extension of his creation. Just because the soul is divinely created doesn’t make it divine.
Ya, it kinda does. It's a non-comprehensible paradox.

"God sleeps in the rocks, stirs in the plants, dreams in the animals, and finally awakens in man." -- Vedic Quote

"God is real, the universe is unreal, God is the universe." -- Shankara

Zakat

Star
Ya, it kinda does. It's a non-comprehensible paradox.

"God sleeps in the rocks, stirs in the plants, dreams in the animals, and finally awakens in man." -- Vedic Quote

"God is real, the universe is unreal, God is the universe." -- Shankara
There is a big difference between God and His constantly-expanding universe.

I think you don't want out of your comfort zone.

We are the universe. God Is Beyond. This planet is but one grain of sand among as many earth-like planets in the whole universe as grains of sand on this planet with its people and everything.

The Being Who Always Existed is Much Much More.

Every atom depends on Him, so how can He resemble them atoms?

He Assembles them, Maintains them, but He Himself Is Much More Wondrous than all the rainbows combined.

Zakat

Star
It is either you don't want to complicate your own life or you are too proud, given your advanced age, to think that there could be a better way to follow than the one you are currently on.

That, or you think we are fools to be advising you to delve deeper.

Or what you are on is actually good for you because you are you and everybody is different.

Remain a good soul at all costs.

Last edited: