Is it a sin for Christians to get tattoos?

Josh

Rookie
I've heard solid arguments from both sides of the aisle so I'd love to know what you think

Damien50

Star
I've heard solid arguments from both sides of the aisle so I'd love to know what you think
No. If anything, abstaining helps to keep one separate from the world. The Israelites are commanded in Leviticus to abstain but those could have been for cultural reasons as I previously stated.

Lisa

Superstar
I find it amazing that tattoos these days are so popular. When I was growing up, people with tattoos weren’t well thought of.

I personally don’t think tattoos are good to have, its like your marking on what God made-graffiti.

But, I also think that the popularity of tattoos could fit into end times scenario about the mark of the beast being on the forehead or the right hand. We know that they are developing rfid chips to put under people’s skin..a company in Wisconsin and one that I have heard about in Sweden has signed up some of their employees with it. Many people believe that the chip is the mark, but I have heard of rfid tattoos. I think that with the popularity with tattoos, I could see people more readily agreeing to that, then the chip. Could be both..but that’s my theory today. :D

mecca

Superstar
Why would it be? It probably depends on what the actual tattoo is and what it means to the person who's getting it.

Damien50

Star
Why would it be? It probably depends on what the actual tattoo is and what it means to the person who's getting it.
That's a big part of it.

In the process of Moses giving the Levitical laws there were efforts made to keep Israel separate from their neighbors. Israel seemed to endeavor to emulate their neighbors(Canaanites, Egyptians, etc) through various pagan practices that as Violette so eloquently put weren't honoring God. Obviously one can put whatever they want on themselves but I'm in agreement with you that the tattoo and the intent matter quite a lot.

I have half sleeves and pec tattoos but mine are of Japanese art and folk lore and is purely art to me.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
If God forbids something and we still do it then it's a sin. In the book of Leviticus specially chapter 19 it tells us the things that God forbids. Leviticus 19:28 says "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, not print any marks upon you: I am Jehovah." American Standard Version Bible.

Not print any marks upon you= tattoos. God is holy and pure so he wants people to be the same. Tattoos don't look clean nor make a person look clean and pure.

This may be heartbreaking for most people because they really like the way tattoos look and how they make a statement and they feel very strongly about them. This is another inconvenient truth for most. God does not approve of tattoos and that's what matters. For those who truly love Him they will heed the command, He doesn't force anyone to obey, He wants us to do it out of our own heart.

llleopard

Established
If God forbids something and we still do it then it's a sin. In the book of Leviticus specially chapter 19 it tells us the things that God forbids. Leviticus 19:28 says "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, not print any marks upon you: I am Jehovah." American Standard Version Bible.

Not print any marks upon you= tattoos. God is holy and pure so he wants people to be the same. Tattoos don't look clean nor make a person look clean and pure.

This may be heartbreaking for most people because they really like the way tattoos look and how they make a statement and they feel very strongly about them. This is another inconvenient truth for most. God does not approve of tattoos and that's what matters. For those who truly love Him they will heed the command, He doesn't force anyone to obey, He wants us to do it out of our own heart.
However, we no longer live under the law of Moses. It is what comes out of a person that defiles them, not what goes in.....and as Mecca says, it depends what you put on yourself - if it something outright dishonouring to God, then that's just dumb, but if it's beautiful, personal, neutral etc, what's the problem?? Yes, I have a number of tattoos! Love them. One of mine, and one of my husband's represent our faith and family (this is a very NZ thing to do) and give us many opportunities to explain our faith while explaining our tattoos.

_Armageddon_

Rookie
However, we no longer live under the law of Moses. It is what comes out of a person that defiles them, not what goes in.....and as Mecca says, it depends what you put on yourself - if it something outright dishonouring to God, then that's just dumb, but if it's beautiful, personal, neutral etc, what's the problem?? Yes, I have a number of tattoos! Love them. One of mine, and one of my husband's represent our faith and family (this is a very NZ thing to do) and give us many opportunities to explain our faith while explaining our tattoos.
If we do NOT Live under the Law fo Moses..
Then i ca kill you,rob you and so on..
SO Yes,the law of Moses does still Apply..

Glad 2 know

Veteran
You're right, we're not totally under the Mosaic Law, however we have to consider that there are still commandments we must follow. Certain provisions of the Law were eliminated because of Jesus but we still have to listen to what God says if we love him. Nobody's forced to love God or follow his commandments, only those who truly want to will do so.

It is also not right to find ways around God's requirements, we either accept them or we don't. He says no tattoos and it means no.

floss

Star
1 Corinthians 6:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Yes, it is a sin to have tattoos on the Holy Ghost's temple [assuming you're save]. Also, cutting of the flesh is usually associated with Satanic Ritual. I believe there are spiritually negative effects with getting tattoos that even if God try to explain, we wouldn't understand with our limited intelligence. When God tell you not to do something, there got to be a good spiritual reason for it.

Damien50

Star
1 Corinthians 6:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Yes, it is a sin to have tattoos on the Holy Ghost's temple [assuming you're save]. Also, cutting of the flesh is usually associated with Satanic Ritual. I believe there are spiritually negative effects with getting tattoos that even if God try to explain, we wouldn't understand with our limited intelligence. When God tell you not to do something, there got to be a good spiritual reason for it.
What would be considered defiling biblically?