near-death experiences (NDEs)

A Freeman

Superstar
So what happened to Colton Burpo?

When Colton's human body died, he had an “out-of-body” experience. Out of that human body, he was able to see and hear what both of his body's parents were doing and saying in different places.

Colton was then allowed to visit “paradise”, where he was greeted with love and a sense of family before being sent back.

So why did God allow this to happen? To send yet another message to all true believers that the death to the human body is nothing more than the end of a parenthetical insert in the story of our REAL, eternal life as a spiritual-Being. And that the irrational fear of human death is totally illogical.

death-line.png

That Colton's body was dead for a period of time isn't in question, nor that Colton's body was later brought back to life. There were no charmers, no wizards, nor any necromancers (mediums) involved, NONE of which have any power over life and death: that's God's job.

Those who are among the spiritually “dead” hear neither what Moses nor the Prophets have said about reincarnation and our spiritual, eternal life after human death; neither will they be persuaded though One rose from the dead.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because Thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

A Freeman

Superstar
I agree, with the exception of the reincarnation bit. I honestly see no reason or logic with reincarnation. I used to have this conversation with a former co-worker years ago when she believed in it. For starters, who wants to come back here and secondly, what version gets judged and goes to heaven? We can also ask other questions such as who were Bill Gates, George Soros, Klaus Schwab in another lifetime and why would they need to come back? I posted this link in the OP, as it's the interview Lee has Melissa. I'm not sure exactly where he discusses reincarnation, but Lee describes it as nirvana. It's somewhere after the 13:51 mark:
Thank-you. Would you agree that it is reasonable and logical to presume that our Creator is just and fair in all things?

If so, how would you logically explain the widely varying conditions of human life on this planet in the context of Judgement Day? Male or female, wealthy or poor, educated or uneducated. Different nationalities, different ethnic backgrounds, different heights, sizes, different life-spans, etc. How could anyone consider it to be just and fair with all of these differences to give everyone just one shot at getting it right or spending eternity in The Lake of Fire? Does that sound, logical, reasonable, merciful, just, fair, patient and long-suffering to you please?

The reason we are here (on Earth, in human bodies) is to learn from our Creator how to be good. At the end of each human lifetime, each of us are taken to the Astral Plane/Plain, aka "Ikisat", aka "paradise", in order to be told what good we did in our previous human lifetime and what evil we did (a life review). Then all of the evil from that lifetime is erased, along with our memories of that lifetime, and we are sent back with only the good we have accumulated throughout all of our previous lifetimes.

The reason the memories are erased should be obvious. Being as selfish, greedy and evil as we are, if we knew who we were in a previous lifetime, we'd go back to try to claim our material possessions, wouldn't we? That would work against the Divine Plan to teach us NOT to be selfish and materialistic, and therefore be counterproductive, as well as totally unfair for everyone.

If we lived a relatively good life according to our Creator, then we are rewarded in the next lifetime with better conditions. If we lived an extremely evil life, then we are punished in the next lifetime. Perfect, divine justice/karma/sowing and reaping.

That way, every single Soul/spiritual-Being is in exactly the place they have earned a right to be in eternal time. On the Last Day, we will all be judged based upon the cumulative good we've done throughout all of our human lifetimes over the past 6000 years. It couldn't be any more logical or fair.

That's why we find reincarnation openly discussed and taught throughout the Old Covenant, New Covenant and the Koran/Quran, even though most deny it. The Scriptures are literally replete with references to reincarnation. It's been part of the perfect plan since the beginning.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
@Orwell's mentor

Most of hose verses discuss a physical death and physical resurrection and not a spiritual one, correct?
There is no such thing as people being resurrected separately from their bodies in the Bible. All those who have been resurrected and gone to heaven have all had physical bodies and spiritually including Jesus Christ. And we are told the same will happen when Jesus returns as the verses say that I posted in my previous comment. No one has ever been resurrected physically and spiritually separately. Human beings need both bodies and their spirits to live even in heaven. So Colton Burpo did not go to heaven nor did he see his sister and great grandfather because they are dead physically and spiritually too.

I agree. This is something that my mum used to tell me and siblings when we were younger and told us not to meddle anything that claims to communicate with dead people because they can't be physically contacted. When doing so, one is likely to be dealing with demonic entities. We should keep in mind that not all demons are maniacally evil. Some are mischievous, but an individual does not get to choose who to communicate with dealing with these entities so it's best not to deal in those practices at all. That said, if a person is near-death, I believe what is being explained is there's possibility that they're communicating within a spiritual realm. I don't pretend to have the answers but I think what's happening to these people is beyond anything in the physical realm.
In the Bible there is not one mention of a near death experience. No one experiences them at all either and there is no one who goes away from their physical body spiritually in the Bible and yet is still alive. What comes close to a near death experience in the Bible is wizards, mediums etc who claim that people who are dead can communicate.

There is a pattern of how people go to heaven in the Bible and if people who claim to have NDE's say things that contradict that pattern, then they are not speaking according to God. When we take the Bible seriously there is only one conclusion: near-death experiences are not what they are often made out to be.

Those who have had NDE's may even be genuine and have seen the things they say they have because they are in situations where they are almost dead and there may be different reasons why they think they inhabit different realms where they see a bright figure whom they later identify as God or Jesus or some religious figure like Buddha or a Hindu god, float in the air, hear strange sounds, get pulled in a dark tunnel but then they see light at the end of the tunnel where they see friends and family members who died earlier etc (these are some of the things those have NDE's have described). There could be a number of reasons why for some the near death brain experiences these things. It could be lack of oxygen to the brain, fevers, anaesthesia, certain medication especially strong painkillers that make people hallucinate etc.

One man claimed that over a 10-year period he had “left his body” at least 15 times. He was eventually diagnosed as having a slow-growing pituitary tumour. After this tumour was surgically removed, his “out-of-body” experiences ceased. The experiences were real to the man but it wasn't true that he left his body. He was hallucinating because of the tumour.

On my thread about NDE's I also posted:
"First of all, NDE’s contradict each other. I am not saying that NDE’s should be identical. What I am saying is that while I would expect diversity from one NDE to another what I don’t expect is contradiction. For example, Christians who have NDE’s report an experience consistent with their biblical beliefs. Likewise, Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims report NDE’s consistent with their beliefs. However, all of these beliefs contradict one another. Christians believe that there is only one God manifested in three Persons, God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. So how does a Christian respond to a Buddhist who has an NDE and sees Buddha or a Hindu who has an NDE in which he talks with Hindu gods which the Bible declares false gods. One Hindu claimed to go to heaven on the back of a cow, others report seeing Krishna in heaven."

Last edited:
I thought it explained it pretty well? Only those who believe they are near death will have such a dream like experience, likely influenced by their own qureen.

It does not make sense for God to send the angel of death only to later change his mind. Our time of death was written in the beginning and when your time is up you are done.

Not to discredit your sources but the truth is many lie, for example from my link above..

View attachment 74592

I do not wish to debate you Orwell as you are closer to the truth then the majority of the non-Muslims here. But the Almighty says he does not delay death in the final testament. You're free to see it however you like.

Peace.
No worries. As an FYI, I know about the book and Kevin Malarkey book. It was actually in the video I posted that no one seems to be interested in watching, but it's all good.. Also, I use Colton Burpo's experience because I can refer to it more so than the other NDEs and because he still talks about it, that's all. There's evidence that NDEs were being experienced prior to his.

phipps

Star
In the Bible no one goes to heaven and comes back to earth either. All those who've gone to heaven such as Enoch, Elijah, Moses never came back to tell us what they experienced while they were there. I think it would be cruel of God to let someone experience heaven in all its glory and then comeback into this sinful miserable world.

Last edited:
In the Bible no one goes to heaven and comes to earth either. All those who've gone to heaven such as Enoch, Elijah, Moses never came back to tell us what they experienced while they were there. I think it would be cruel of God to let someone experience heaven in all its glory and then comeback into this sinful miserable world.
From what others have said about their NDEs they didn't want to leave, but were told it wasn't their time yet and cane back and knew they still had things to do while here on earth. Others have also said what they felt was difficult to put into words because it was a such loving and beautiful place. I heard one man who was Jewish call what people are experiencing as the "mud room", which made me smirk, as it somewhat correlates with the notion of coming back here cruel.

If anyone's interested, here's Dr. Gary Habermas discussing a book published by a medical doctor that says that in North America alone, there are 9-20 million reports of NDEs:

Empirically Evidenced Near Death Experiences

DavidSon

Star
From what others have said about their NDEs they didn't want to leave, but were told it wasn't their time yet and cane back and knew they still had things to do while here on earth. Others have also said what they felt was difficult to put into words because it was a such loving and beautiful place.
My neighbor was in a coma for a month and believes that while unconscious she was in heaven with her mother. At some point her mother said that it wasn't her time, that she had to wait to return... with a warning that if she tried to "shortcut" the process she wouldn't be allowed back! Naturally my neighbor took that as a message about suicide.

This is a fascinating subject and as said NDE's are a universal phenomenon. I hope to listen to the videos you posted to gain further understanding of others' perspectives.

A Freeman

Superstar
There is no such thing as people being resurrected separately from their bodies in the Bible. All those who have been resurrected and gone to heaven have all had physical bodies and spiritually including Jesus Christ. And we are told the same will happen when Jesus returns as the verses say that I posted in my previous comment.

No one has ever been resurrected physically and spiritually separately. Human beings need both bodies and their spirits to live even in heaven.
John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the Words (Truth) that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are Life.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit The Kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

In the Bible there is not one mention of a near death experience.
2 Corinthians 12:2-4
12:2 I knew a man in Christ over fourteen years ago, (whether IN the body, I cannot tell; or whether OUT OF the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth); such an one caught up to the third heaven.
12:3 And I knew such a man, (whether IN the body, or OUT of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth);
12:4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not possible for a man to utter.

So Colton Burpo did not go to heaven
Agreed. Colton (the spiritual-Being, out of the 4-year old body he was in, which had died) went to "paradise". Heaven and paradise are two separate places. No one, except for Christ (the Spirit-Being), has ever gone to heaven.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of Man which is from heaven.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him (the thief hanging on the cross next to him), Verily I say unto thee, TO DAY shalt thou be with me IN PARADISE.

3 days and 3 nights later, after the body of Jesus had been resurrected:
John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; FOR I AM NOT YET ASCENDED TO MY FATHER*: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and [to] my God, and your God.

*Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: OUR FATHER WHICH ART IN HEAVEN, Hallowed be Thy name.

In the Bible no one goes to heaven and comes to earth either. All those who've gone to heaven such as Enoch, Elijah, Moses never came back to tell us what they experienced while they were there. I think it would be cruel of God to let someone experience heaven in all its glory and then comeback into this sinful miserable world.
Neither Enoch nor Moses went to heaven. Enoch is the only one of us to have ever been TRANSLATED , i.e. he is awaiting Judgment Day from "Paradise", having lived a human lifetime pleasing to God (and thus spared subsequent incarnations).

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Sura 19:56-57
19:56. Also mention in the Book (the Bible) the case of Enoch: he was a man of truth (and sincerity), (and) a Prophet:
19:57. And We raised him to a lofty station.

And with regard to Christ, He has been here MANY times, including in the body of Melchizedek (which literally means "King of Righteousness"), King of Salem (Peace -- see Gen. 14:18-20, Heb. 6:20-7:4), in the body of Elijah (2 kings 2:11-13, Matt. 3:13-17, 17:12-13), in the body of Jesus (John 1:14), and again in a new body with a new name during His Return to gather the "Elect" before Judgment Day (Gen. 49:10, 22-24, Mal. 4, Rev. 2:17, 3:12, 19:12). The Day when ALL of us will be judged for everything we have ever done throughout ALL of our human lifetimes over the past 6000 years..

John 4:23-24
4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him.
4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship [Him] with their spirit (Being) and in Truth.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
From what others have said about their NDEs they didn't want to leave, but were told it wasn't their time yet and cane back and knew they still had things to do while here on earth. Others have also said what they felt was difficult to put into words because it was a such loving and beautiful place. I heard one man who was Jewish call what people are experiencing as the "mud room", which made me smirk, as it somewhat correlates with the notion of coming back here cruel.

If anyone's interested, here's Dr. Gary Habermas discussing a book published by a medical doctor that says that in North America alone, there are 9-20 million reports of NDEs:

Empirically Evidenced Near Death Experiences
As I said before no one goes to heaven only spiritually and never will according to the Bible. So anyone who has had an NDE and claims to have gone to heaven was never there if their physical bodies were not there as well. I will say again, that no one goes to heaven and comes back to earth because that would be cruel of God to do that. Words cannot describe the peace and bliss of heaven, to be in God's presence and His dwelling place. Paul says, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Corinthians 2:9).

The Bible says heaven is a stunningly beautiful place with sparkling stones, streets of gold, and gates “made of a single pearl” (Revelation 21:21). I can't imagine such beauty. The apostle Paul says that Jesus is currently dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see …” (1 Timothy 6:14-16).

In our current bodies and states as humans, we can’t even take in the kind of splendour heaven represents. That is why the Bible says, "For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality ..." (1 Corinthians 15:52-54). The living and dead righteous will get new bodies. They will still be physical bodies but they will be incorruptible and immortal just like Adam and Eve's bodies before they sinned. That change will happen before the saints make it to heaven with Christ where they will be with Him forever. Philippians 3:21 says, "... who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself."

In order for anyone to make it to heaven, they have to accept Jesus as their personal Saviour, obey His will and have a close loving relationship with Him. Men like Enoch, Elijah and Moses were righteous men that's why they are in heaven. The Bible also clearly tells us that those who will go to heaven when Christ returns the second time (that will will be the majority of people) will be people who believe and accept Him and submit to and obey His will. They will go to heaven because they truly want to be there. They will have chosen to be in a loving relationship with God and lived according to His will and therefore will enjoy their friendship with Christ forever.

Do we know if all those who have NDE's have surrendered themselves completely to God? If they even have a loving relationship with Him and if they were living their lives in harmony with what the Bible teaches? What about the non Christians who also receive NDE's but do not even believe in Christ as God and Saviour?

NDE's contradict the Word of God. Therefore they are false testimony and not of God I'm afraid.

Last edited:
My neighbor was in a coma for a month and believes that while unconscious she was in heaven with her mother. At some point her mother said that it wasn't her time, that she had to wait to return... with a warning that if she tried to "shortcut" the process she wouldn't be allowed back! Naturally my neighbor took that as a message about suicide.
I’m impressed your neighbour told you about her experience. I’ve read many keep silent about it, or only tell a selected few because they either don’t want anyone to think they’re mentally unstable and/or be ridiculed. Many people in “high-ranking” positions have had them too (i.e. doctors, lawyers). Erica, the woman who recounts her experience in the movie, “Life to Afterlife Death and Back - Part 1” said once she regained consciousness after her accident, she told her doctor. One of her nurses came over to comfort her to let her know that she believed her and told her she's had many tell her similar incidents, but told her the doctor was an atheist. Her doctor then diagnosed her with a bi-polar disorder, put her in a psychiatric ward and prescribed her with 12 different daily medications. Erica soon learned to keep quiet about her experience so she could get out.

I find it intriguing that your neighbour’s mum also told her that she had to wait to return and her interpretation and understand why she would view it that way. I’ve read that NDEs are not the same as hallucinations or out-of-body experiences (OBEs). Some people seem to want to will their way for it to happen and take mind-altering substances in the attempt to experience the same thing. Researchers have claimed they’re not for numerous reasons.

This is a fascinating subject and as said NDE's are a universal phenomenon. I hope to listen to the videos you posted to gain further understanding of others' perspectives.
Thanks. I think so too. It’s a subject that’s challenging to describe because of the experiences are all internal and no concrete evidence to confirm them. Although, the fact that millions of people have them is compelling.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I found this one fascinating, and as far as I can see it destroys the standard naturalistic explanations of NDEs - a brain operation for an aneurism that required a super cooled body and chemically halted brain activity. What happened left the medics unable to explain clinically.

phipps

Star
Boy Says He Didn't Go To Heaven; Publisher Says It Will Pull Book

Nearly five years after it hit best-seller lists, a book that purported to be a 6-year-old boy's story of visiting angels and heaven after being injured in a bad car crash is being pulled from shelves. The young man at the center of The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven, Alex Malarkey, said this week that the story was all made up.

The book's publisher, Tyndale House, had promoted it as "a supernatural encounter that will give you new insights on Heaven, angels, and hearing the voice of God."

But Thursday, Tyndale House confirmed to NPR that it is taking "the book and all ancillary products out of print."

The decision to pull the book comes after Alex Malarkey wrote an open letter to retailer LifeWay and others who sell Christian books and religious materials. It was published this week on the Pulpit and Pen website.

"I did not die. I did not go to Heaven," Alex wrote. He continued, "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible."

He concluded, "Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough."

Here are a few key background details of the story: Alex Malarkey was paralyzed at the age of 6 when he was in a car wreck. He then spent two months in a coma. He's now a teenager. The book lists him as a co-author along with his father, Kevin Malarkey.

Calling the book a "spiritual memoir," The Washington Post notes that it "became part of a popular genre of 'heavenly tourism,' which has been controversial among orthodox Christians."

Alex's parents are now divorced; he and his siblings live with his mother, Beth Malarkey, who has previously spoken out against the book featuring her son. She has also said that profits from the book haven't been going to Alex. Another book about a boy who said he had gone to heaven, Heaven Is For Real, has been turned into a movie.

Last spring, Beth Malarkey wrote a blog post stating, "Alex's name and identity are being used against his wishes (I have spoken before and posted about it that Alex has tried to publicly speak out against the book), on something that he is opposed to and knows to be in error according to the Bible."

She added, "I am fully aware of what it feels like to be pulled in. There are many who are scamming and using the Word of God to do it. They are good, especially if you are not digging into your Bible and truly studying it. They study their audience and even read 'success' books to try to build better and bigger ... 'ministries/businesses.' "

Our interpretation of what happens at death should not be determined by NDEs especially as they contradict each other. The Bible itself should be allowed to speak for itself. Let’s not have “near-truth” experiences. Let’s make sure we are spot on in what the Bible really says about life after death.

Boy Says He Didn't Go To Heaven; Publisher Says It Will Pull Book

Nearly five years after it hit best-seller lists, a book that purported to be a 6-year-old boy's story of visiting angels and heaven after being injured in a bad car crash is being pulled from shelves. The young man at the center of The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven, Alex Malarkey, said this week that the story was all made up.

The book's publisher, Tyndale House, had promoted it as "a supernatural encounter that will give you new insights on Heaven, angels, and hearing the voice of God."

But Thursday, Tyndale House confirmed to NPR that it is taking "the book and all ancillary products out of print."

The decision to pull the book comes after Alex Malarkey wrote an open letter to retailer LifeWay and others who sell Christian books and religious materials. It was published this week on the Pulpit and Pen website.

"I did not die. I did not go to Heaven," Alex wrote. He continued, "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible."

He concluded, "Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough."

Here are a few key background details of the story: Alex Malarkey was paralyzed at the age of 6 when he was in a car wreck. He then spent two months in a coma. He's now a teenager. The book lists him as a co-author along with his father, Kevin Malarkey.

Calling the book a "spiritual memoir," The Washington Post notes that it "became part of a popular genre of 'heavenly tourism,' which has been controversial among orthodox Christians."

Alex's parents are now divorced; he and his siblings live with his mother, Beth Malarkey, who has previously spoken out against the book featuring her son. She has also said that profits from the book haven't been going to Alex. Another book about a boy who said he had gone to heaven, Heaven Is For Real, has been turned into a movie.

Last spring, Beth Malarkey wrote a blog post stating, "Alex's name and identity are being used against his wishes (I have spoken before and posted about it that Alex has tried to publicly speak out against the book), on something that he is opposed to and knows to be in error according to the Bible."

She added, "I am fully aware of what it feels like to be pulled in. There are many who are scamming and using the Word of God to do it. They are good, especially if you are not digging into your Bible and truly studying it. They study their audience and even read 'success' books to try to build better and bigger ... 'ministries/businesses.' "

Our interpretation of what happens at death should not be determined by NDEs especially as they contradict each other. The Bible itself should be allowed to speak for itself. Let’s not have “near-truth” experiences. Let’s make sure we are spot on in what the Bible really says about life after death.
I know about this. I mentioned it to Daze and it's mentioned in the interview with Lee Strobel and Melissa Dougherty. The videos that no one seems to be interested in watching or commenting on.

phipps

Star
I know about this. I mentioned it to Daze and it's mentioned in the interview with Lee Strobel and Melissa Dougherty. The videos that no one seems to be interested in watching or commenting on.
What matters is that Alex Marlarkey came forward and told the truth whether people watch it or not. Most people do not want to be told that something they believed or believe in is not the truth. That is why we need the Holy Spirit to convince us of truth. On our own, we would reject all truth. I believe a few people (the majority are never interested in the truth) went and searched their Bibles prayerfully and found out the truth about the state of the dead, how people go to heaven, heaven etc because of Alex Marlarkey telling the truth about his NDE. These sorts of things are never popular (the truth never is) but they lead a few genuine people to God's truth.

I wonder how much money the Burpo's made and are still making from the book and movie.

Last edited:

DavidSon

Star
The wiki entry is an informative overview, for me especially the section on "explanatory models". I bolded the sentences in this segment that affirm my interest in the universal aspects of NDEs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience

Cross-cultural aspects
Gregory Shushan published an analysis of the afterlife beliefs of five ancient civilizations and compared them with historical and contemporary reports of near-death experiences, and shamanic afterlife "journeys". Shushan found similarities across time, place, and culture that he found could not be explained by coincidence; he also found elements that were specific to cultures; Shushan concludes that some form of mutual influence between experiences of an afterlife and culture probably influence one another and that this inheritance, in turn, influences individual NDEs.

In contrast, it has been argued including Schlieter in 2018 that near-death experiences and many of their elements such as vision of God, judgment, the tunnel, or the life review are closely related to religious and spiritual traditions of the West. It was mainly Christian visionaries, Spiritualists, Occultists, and Theosophists of the 19th and 20th century that reported them.

However, according to Parnia, near-death experiences' interpretations are influenced by religious, social, cultural backgrounds. However, the core elements appear to transcend borders and can be considered universal. In fact, some of these core elements have even been reported by children (this occurred over many months, whilst playing and communicated using children's language). In other words, at an age where they should not have been influenced by culture or tradition. Also, according to Greyson, the central features of NDEs are universal and have not been influenced by time. These have been observed throughout history and in different cultures.

phipps

Star
Did Colton see a coming Armageddon while he was in Heaven?
During a January 2012 interview with Natalie Tizzel on the Canadian television show 100 Huntley Street, the real Colton Burpo attempted to describe the Armageddon that he claims he got to see a preview of while he was in Heaven. "Well, the battle was with Jesus, the angels, and the good people goin' against Satan, the monsters, and the bad people. They were fighting, and in the end, Jesus does win and the Armageddon would be over, but it has a long time to do. I got to see it happening, and I got to see my dad in the battle. I understood what was going on because, well, I was up there for a while so, you figure out what's goin' on after a while."

Link.

This is another thing that Colton Burpo said that contradicts the Bible. He would not have witnessed a preview of the war of Armageddon because it will take place right here on earth. The battle is symbolic of a conflict, not between nations, but between God and His followers and Satan and his followers. Revelation 12 sets up the scene by explaining that the devil is making war with the woman (God's church). So, when the battle of Armageddon takes place, it will be an effort by Satan to annihilate God's people on earth. That is why this battle is mentioned in the context of the seven last plagues and it’s the sixth plague (Revelation 16:12-16) immediately prior to the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Also there has only ever been one war or battle in heaven and the Bible tells us it was between Jesus and Satan. The Bible says, "And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him" (Revelation 12:7-9). This war happened before mankind was created.

Let us not build our understanding of scripture based on an experience or experiences. We should always base it on the Word of God.

Last edited:
I found this one fascinating, and as far as I can see it destroys the standard naturalistic explanations of NDEs - a brain operation for an aneurism that required a super cooled body and chemically halted brain activity. What happened left the medics unable to explain clinically.

What a story! I think the neurosurgeon Dr. Robert Spetzler says it best with regard to the woman's experience, which is, "It is the height of egotism to say that something didn't happen just because we can't explain it". Is the experience a transformation between the physical and spiritual as some have said in the video? It's difficult to say or even drawn a firm conclusion.

The wiki entry is an informative overview, for me especially the section on "explanatory models". I bolded the sentences in this segment that affirm my interest in the universal aspects of NDEs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience

Cross-cultural aspects
Gregory Shushan published an analysis of the afterlife beliefs of five ancient civilizations and compared them with historical and contemporary reports of near-death experiences, and shamanic afterlife "journeys". Shushan found similarities across time, place, and culture that he found could not be explained by coincidence; he also found elements that were specific to cultures; Shushan concludes that some form of mutual influence between experiences of an afterlife and culture probably influence one another and that this inheritance, in turn, influences individual NDEs.

In contrast, it has been argued including Schlieter in 2018 that near-death experiences and many of their elements such as vision of God, judgment, the tunnel, or the life review are closely related to religious and spiritual traditions of the West. It was mainly Christian visionaries, Spiritualists, Occultists, and Theosophists of the 19th and 20th century that reported them.

However, according to Parnia, near-death experiences' interpretations are influenced by religious, social, cultural backgrounds. However, the core elements appear to transcend borders and can be considered universal. In fact, some of these core elements have even been reported by children (this occurred over many months, whilst playing and communicated using children's language). In other words, at an age where they should not have been influenced by culture or tradition. Also, according to Greyson, the central features of NDEs are universal and have not been influenced by time. These have been observed throughout history and in different cultures.
This is interesting. I looked at the Wiki site and it explains some of the experiences. Listening to Ingrid's account, hers didn't sound that way at all. She described it as "the silence, behind the silence". Not sure what she means, but even though she's smiling as she's telling her story, much like Anita's, it gave me a weird vibe.

Did Colton see a coming Armageddon while he was in Heaven?
During a January 2012 interview with Natalie Tizzel on the Canadian television show 100 Huntley Street, the real Colton Burpo attempted to describe the Armageddon that he claims he got to see a preview of while he was in Heaven. "Well, the battle was with Jesus, the angels, and the good people goin' against Satan, the monsters, and the bad people. They were fighting, and in the end, Jesus does win and the Armageddon would be over, but it has a long time to do. I got to see it happening, and I got to see my dad in the battle. I understood what was going on because, well, I was up there for a while so, you figure out what's goin' on after a while."

Link.

This is another thing that Colton Burpo said that contradicts the Bible. He would not have witnessed preview of the war of Armageddon because it will take place right here on earth. The battle is symbolic of a conflict, not between nations, but between God and His followers and Satan and his followers. Revelation 12 sets up the scene by explaining that the devil is making war with the woman (God's church). So, when the battle of Armageddon takes place, it will be an effort by Satan to annihilate God's people on earth. That is why this battle is mentioned in the context of the seven last plagues and it’s the sixth plague (Revelation 16:12-16) immediately prior to the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Also there has only ever been one war or battle in heaven and the Bible tells us it was between Jesus and Satan. The Bible says, "And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him" (Revelation 12:7-9). This war happened before mankind was created.
Perhaps you should read through the thread, phipps. As I stated to Daze, I only used his story as a reference because it was made into a movie, and he still talks about it. As well, in an another interview, Colton concedes he was three when he had his appendicitis so perhaps it's the way he interpreted what he saw? I obviously don't know, but he was able to know what his great-grandfather looked like when he was young and that his mum had a miscarriage. Add to it, he's still a strong advocate for Jesus so he's not doing anything that's leading people down a dark or new age path, IMHO.

EDIT: I should also add, I reference Colton's story because someone gave me the DVD to watch the movie based on his experience. Should you read through the thread, there are others who've had NDEs.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Perhaps you should read through the thread, phipps. As I stated to Daze, I only used his story as a reference because it was made into a movie, and he still talks about it. As well, in an another interview, Colton concedes he was three when he had his appendicitis so perhaps it's the way he interpreted what he saw? I obviously don't know, but he was able to know what his great-grandfather looked like when he was young and that his mum had a miscarriage. Add to it, he's still a strong advocate for Jesus so he's not doing anything that's leading people down a dark or new age path, IMHO.
Colton said he remembers what he experienced in heaven vividly. I will quote exactly what he said: "Well, of my hospital stay and all the events leading up to it, that's a little foggy," says the real Colton Burpo, "but my experience in Heaven is very vivid. I remember just all of the people up in Heaven. There were people, angels, animals, and they had so many things up there that you could do." He said this when he was fourteen years old.

This is from the link in my previous post.

Add to it, he's still a strong advocate for Jesus so he's not doing anything that's leading people down a dark or new age path, IMHO.
You can be an advocate for Jesus and still be telling untruths that contradict God's Word. A lot of Christians and Christian denominations are advocates for Christ but many have false doctrine in them. Colton's NDE is false doctrine. He might even be genuine but he is still wrong.

Isaiah 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

Colton said he remembers what he experienced in heaven vividly. I will quote exactly what he said: "Well, of my hospital stay and all the events leading up to it, that's a little foggy," says the real Colton Burpo, "but my experience in Heaven is very vivid. I remember just all of the people up in Heaven. There were people, angels, animals, and they had so many things up there that you could do." He said this when he was fourteen years old.

This is from the link in my previous post.

You can be an advocate for Jesus and still be telling untruths that contradict God's Word. A lot of Christians and Christian denominations are advocates for Christ but many have false doctrine in them. Colton's NDE is false doctrine. He might even be genuine but he is still wrong.

Isaiah 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."
So you think he's wrong. It still doesn't negate his experience or what others have experienced, including some blind people who were able to see and went back to being blind when they regained consciousness. As Lee Strobel said to Melissa, it's best to remain a healthy skeptic when people are interpreting what they saw or experienced. As I've stated earlier, I wholeheartedly agree. No one knows exactly what's happening, but as I stated in the OP, something clearly is.