Random Thoughts

polymoog

Superstar
One is organic, one is GMO.

Of course the franken-food is more accessible to people having a hard time making ends meet.
No. seedless watermelon is NOT GMO. there has been no laboratory genetic manipulation of the watermelon genes. this is selective breeding for a fruit with no seeds. there are other fruit that have been bred to produce small or seedless fruit and none are GMO. (and NEITHER of those are organic according to the sign posted. if it was organic, they would say "organic" on the sign.)
with that said, seeded fruit are always more nutritious.

as far as your photo is concerned, the seedless watermelons are significantly smaller than the seeded ones. look at the photo again-- the dark seedless watermelons are rounder while the seeded ones are more elongated. the seedless ones weigh about 17 pounds while the seeded ones go to 26 pounds or more, so they probably need more time in the field to mature (watermelons must be picked ripe-- they do not ripen after being picked).

Daze

Superstar
No. seedless watermelon is NOT GMO. there has been no laboratory genetic manipulation of the watermelon genes. this is selective breeding for a fruit with no seeds. there are other fruit that have been bred to produce small or seedless fruit and none are GMO. (and NEITHER of those are organic according to the sign posted. if it was organic, they would say "organic" on the sign.)
with that said, seeded fruit are always more nutritious.

as far as your photo is concerned, the seedless watermelons are significantly smaller than the seeded ones. look at the photo again-- the dark seedless watermelons are rounder while the seeded ones are more elongated. the seedless ones weigh about 17 pounds while the seeded ones go to 26 pounds or more, so they probably need more time in the field to mature (watermelons must be picked ripe-- they do not ripen after being picked).
Let us agree to disagree on this one Poly.

polymoog

Superstar
Let us agree to disagree on this one Poly.
what are you disagreeing about? im right and youre wrong. there has been absolutely no gene splicing, editing, CRISPRing, etc. on this fruit. this is selective breeding-- plant eugenics if you will. no different than people who find a specific variety of fruit and propagate it for its improved characteristics.

Daze

Superstar
what are you disagreeing about? im right and youre wrong. there has been absolutely no gene splicing, editing, CRISPRing, etc. on this fruit. this is selective breeding-- plant eugenics if you will. no different than people who find a specific variety of fruit and propagate it for its improved characteristics.
To me they have changed what God has given. While you can argue gmo and selective breeding are technically different... not so much to me. It is "modified".

You can be right and i can wrong if that's the way you want to put it. Like i said, don't want to argue it. Hence, agree to disagree.

selective.jpg

polymoog

Superstar
To me they have changed what God has given. While you can argue gmo and selective breeding are technically different... not so much to me.
if you want to make this argument, then ask god why (1) he gave us the ability to select and breed fruit for advantageous characteristics and (2) why he gave life genetic flexibility in the first place.

theres nothing natural about GMO. it would never happen spontaneously in nature.
selective breeding happens naturally is ushered along via simple selection and evolution, which is changes in gene frequencies over time.

Daze

Superstar
if you want to make this argument, then ask god why (1) he gave us the ability to select and breed fruit for advantageous characteristics and (2) why he gave life genetic flexibility in the first place.

theres nothing natural about GMO. it would never happen spontaneously in nature.
selective breeding happens naturally is ushered along via simple selection and evolution, which is changes in gene frequencies over time.
Advantageous? Do you really think mankind can do what God can not? Do you think God just over looked these "improvements"?

He gave us free will and life is indeed a test.

How long do we need to do this back and forth Poly? We are coming from different angles and will probably never see eye to eye on this issue. so whats the point?

As the beetles said, let it be.

polymoog

Superstar
Advantageous? Do you really think mankind can do what God can not? Do you think God just over looked these "improvements"?
if god made mud, are we not allowed to bake it into brick and build a house out of it because god didnt create a brick? or are you arguing that we shouldnt make bricks because god doesnt want us to?

How long do we need to do this back and forth Poly? We are coming from different angles and will probably never see eye to eye on this issue. so whats the point?
why should i let incorrect information pass? its not GMO. period. im not letting it go because what you said was not true.

As the beetles said, let it be.
that phrase always sounded like moral apathy to me, and i dont subscribe to it.

Daze

Superstar
if god made mud, are we not allowed to bake it into brick and build a house out of it because god didnt create a brick? or are you arguing that we shouldnt make bricks because god doesnt want us to?

why should i let incorrect information pass? its not GMO. period. im not letting it go because what you said was not true.

that phrase always sounded like moral apathy to me, and i dont subscribe to it.
Are you triggered or something? Do i rely need to say i don't want to argue a 4th time?

Take the last word Poly, i am done with this chain. peace.

The Sojourner

Established

Directed by: Stephen O'Regan
Based on the short story by Terry Bisson

Do not let "the meat" do the thinking...