Restaurant Workers

AMK

Rookie
I'm not a restaurant worker but I do work in customer service. I work in the different parking garages in downtown Boulder Co and literally deal with hundreds of people everyday. I've had some pretty horrible customers. I'm sure working in the restaurant industry is awful, I think most customer service jobs are. What's one of your worst experiences?

elsbet

Superstar
One summer, in my 20s (I had gone back to school), I started working nights at a bar. Strangely, bar patrons were much nicer and tipped better than most restaurant customers.. go figure. But I had been waiting on a table with two people, who had been fairly uneventful-- which was FINE-- and it looked like they had left me a $20 tip! I picked it up, and it turned out to be a bible tract disguised as a twenty dollar bill. And they had stiffed me. Now.. I had no problem with spreading the Gospel, even back then-- but that is NOT the way to do it. -.-

Cheapskates.

Chefs dont make fries. They make pomme frites :D

I worked in the restaurant business from age 16-30 in just about every front of house capacity except proprieter and GM. Oddly enough, I don't have any horror stories from those experiences but I sure can sympathise with those of you who do. I still use the terms "86" whenever we're out of something at home and "behind you" when the kids get in the way haha.

Devine

Star
One summer, in my 20s (I had gone back to school), I started working nights at a bar. Strangely, bar patrons were much nicer and tipped better than most restaurant customers.. go figure. But I had been waiting on a table with two people, who had been fairly uneventful-- which was FINE-- and it looked like they had left me a $20 tip! I picked it up, and it turned out to be a bible tract disguised as a twenty dollar bill. And they had stiffed me. Now.. I had no problem with spreading the Gospel, even back then-- but that is NOT the way to do it. -.-

Cheapskates.
i've gotten the bible tract as tip but not that looked like money thats extra obnoxious!!! also love the verbal tippers. i think bar tending makes a lot more than serving but i couldn't handle the hours/karma

Devine

Star
Chefs dont make fries. They make pomme frites :D

I worked in the restaurant business from age 16-30 in just about every front of house capacity except proprieter and GM. Oddly enough, I don't have any horror stories from those experiences but I sure can sympathise with those of you who do. I still use the terms "86" whenever we're out of something at home and "behind you" when the kids get in the way haha.
me three.
surely, GS, you've come across many rude people then if not horror story? i find once they get the food in em they calm down.. :)