Scenic Photos And Landmarks From Your Country/ Where You Live

JoChris

Superstar
Toowoomba was actually the first place I moved to away from my biological family. I was married but we still lived in Townsville.
So first move was to the town of my in-laws. The stable loving family. Just 6 months after that my husband was sent away to East Timor for 6 months.

Thunderian

Superstar
I am surprised at that. Online libraries that link to Canadian links seem to present information in both languages.
I thought learning French would be encouraged.
Why is Quebec so different to the rest of Canada?
French and English are both official languages of Canada, and when I was in school French classes were mandatory until the eight grade. There are plenty of French speakers in Eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick) but not so much as soon as you start heading west, where I live now.

I've lived all across Canada, and here's a bit of a tour.

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia - this light house is about the only tourist attraction in Nova Scotia that I can think of, although I'm sure there are more.

Toronto. Stinks and is hot. Not sure what the attraction is, tbh. I spent a summer there for work. Couldn't leave fast enough.

These are the parliament buildings in Canada's capital city of Ottawa. I spent a week here when I was 17, ostensibly for the Conservative convention, but in reality I mostly just partied and chased girls. Hey, I was 17.

The Chateau Lake Louise, in Lake Louise, Alberta. The year I went to Ottawa I worked the summer here. You can't ask for more majestic scenery. Clean air, big mountains, lots of trees. It's literally postcard perfect Canada.

My city, Vancouver. I don't live here anymore, but spent more than 20 years getting to know and love it. Of course, now it's taken over by godless sodomites and pagans. but it's still beautiful.

More Vancouver. You can see my old apartment building in this picture. :)

Last one of Vancouver. This is in Gastown, the oldest part of the city. I lived in those buildings to the left of this flatiron building. My roommate and I lived in a loft with 18-foot windows and kept a disco ball going throughout the night when we were home. The people who lived across the street got one as well, so the lane in between us looked like a party some nights. Those were the days.

Tatilina

Star
IMG_3540.PNG Not that I care all that much, but here are the statistics on where French is spoken.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Canada

It may be official but it doesn't make it official everywhere let alone spoken by most. It is not one of my favourite foreign languages. French wasn't mandatory in the north. Thunderian doesn't speak for all of Canada lol.

rainerann

Star
When I went to Canada when I eight years old, I remember the lady at the frozen yogurt place spoke French and had difficulty understanding us. She is the only one I remember talking though. Otherwise, I wasn't paying attention very well. I only remember this and lawn that had the Canadian flag made out of flowers. We went to Vancouver.

Last edited:

Tatilina

Star
French and English are both official languages of Canada, and when I was in school French classes were mandatory until the eight grade.

Not every school teaches French, nor is it mandatory to learn it every school, nor is it spoken or a popular lamguage across Canada either.

Of course, now it's taken over by godless sodomites and pagans. but it's still beautiful.

Well this explains you're dislike of me and why you ignore me even though I've never done any wrong to you, just another cold heartless self proclaimed christian, BTW not all pagans are godless.
Answers in bold

Last edited:

Tatilina

Star
When I went to Canada when I eight years old, I remember the lady at the frozen yogurt place spoke French and had difficulty understanding us. She is the only one I remember talking though. Otherwise, I wasn't paying attention very well. I only remember this and lawn that had the Canadian flower made out of flowers. We went to Vancouver.
Never went to Vancouver. I've only been to three places in my entire 35 years in Alberta and have yet met or heard anyone speak French. Vancouver is in Bristish Colombia. Alberta is a province so is Quebec. Let me rephrase this, French is RARELY spoken in Alberta. It's a horrible language in my opinion and its not popular where I live. Lol Chinese, Arabic, Asian, Ukrainian and the East Indian language is spoken here way more then this French language. Never met a single French speaking person yet. Heard it on TV lol on the french channel, but that's about it.

Tatilina

Star
The empty threat of forced Alberta French

In January 1973, the American magazine, National Lampoon, published a cover with a revolver aimed at the head of a dog. The canine worryingly looked over to its left, where the gun touched its skull. The illustration was accompanied by this caption: “If you don’t buy this magazine, we’ll kill this dog.” National Lampoon was, of course, not serious. It was how the editors grabbed attention, the lifeblood of satirical serials.

The magazine cover and the response to it is how the ongoing insistence from Edmonton trucker Gilles Caron that Alberta provide services in French should be treated: with a wry chuckle and then a dismissal because the “demand” is beyond reason. (That Caron takes all this seriously is no reason the rest of us or courts must).

For those unfamiliar with the court case, Caron received a $54 English-only ticket in 2003 for an illegal left turn. In 2008, provincial court Judge Leo Wenden threw out the fine after Caron demanded but was not given a French trial in Alberta’s English-only provincial courts. The Alberta government appealed that decision; meanwhile, the issue of whether taxpayers should fund the attempt by Caron and his lawyer to move the case up the legal food chain also became relevant as they demanded public funding.

In early February, the Supreme Court of Canada said the province must hand $120,000 to Caron and his litigator, this to fight the case through the court system. Canada’s top court argued that the question of whether a province must provide French translation is too important not to proceed due to a lack of funds.

Caron’s case is now at the Alberta Court of Appeal and might end at the Supreme Court of Canada. Once there, it would be a surprise if any Supreme Court justice orders Alberta to duplicate every document, service and sign in the other official (federal) language. A Supreme Court decision in 1988 gave provinces the right to determine their own language legislation, which is exactly what Alberta has done over the years.

There’s a greater context for this controversy. It’s why, if the case makes it to Canada’s highest court, the justices should decline to order Alberta (or British Columbia or Prince Edward Island) to duplicate all services and documents in French. Like it or not, outside of Quebec, French in the rest of Canada is in decline.

In Alberta, the reason the provincial government doesn’t actively promote French is for common sense reasons (and unlike Quebec’s government, nor does Alberta suppress one of Canada’s two official languages). Alberta’s demographic reality is that in 2006, the census revealed French as the identified mother tongue of just 61,225 Albertans, or 1.9 per cent of the population. It came fourth behind Albertans who identified one of several Chinese dialects as their mother language, or German.

That tiny portion of Albertans who identify French as their mother tongue— and that doesn’t mean they cannot communicate in English— is no surprise. Canada-wide, there’s been a decline in the proportion of Canadians who tell census takers that French is their mother tongue from 29 per cent in 1951 to just 22.1 per cent in 2006.

The future of Canada involves the need to incorporate immigrants into the dominant language of their chosen province. That's particularly true of Western Canada and Ontario. In 2006, over 583,000 Albertans named a non-official language as their mother tongue, almost 18 per cent of Alberta's population. In British Columbia, where French as a mother tongue was tagged by just 1.3 per cent of British Columbians, non-official languages accounted for 27 per cent of that province's population. In Ontario, four per cent of the population acknowledged French as their mother tongue while 26 per cent identified a language that was neither French nor English.

The changing demographic make-up of Canada means it makes sense for Alberta to stick to providing services, signs and tickets in English, and then translate only as needed (and with a focus on integrating those newer immigrants who, unlike Caron, likely do need some temporary translation help). Similarly, in Quebec, it makes little sense to provide much in the way of English services when much of the population speaks French, and most English-speakers—as with French-speakers in Alberta—are bilingual.

Such demographic realities are likely obvious to Gilles Caron and his legal counsel. In terms of a court response, it would be nice if the Alberta Court of Appeal took the tack of 1970s-era readers to National Lampoon’s demand: This cannot be serious, it cuts against reality, let’s express amusement, dismiss it—and move on.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/empty-threat-forced-alberta-french

Glad I could help clear things up lol!

Last edited:

Tatilina

Star
See that? That's right! It says Alberta's ENGLISH ONLY COURTS. Oh my gosh does it actually say that? Our courts are English only? Yes, yes they are!

JoChris

Superstar
French and English are both official languages of Canada, and when I was in school French classes were mandatory until the eight grade. There are plenty of French speakers in Eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick) but not so much as soon as you start heading west, where I live now.

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia - this light house is about the only tourist attraction in Nova Scotia that I can think of, although I'm sure there are more.

Toronto. Stinks and is hot. Not sure what the attraction is, tbh. I spent a summer there for work. Couldn't leave fast enough.

These are the parliament buildings in Canada's capital city of Ottawa. I spent a week here when I was 17, ostensibly for the Conservative convention, but in reality I mostly just partied and chased girls. Hey, I was 17.

The Chateau Lake Louise, in Lake Louise, Alberta. The year I went to Ottawa I worked the summer here. You can't ask for more majestic scenery. Clean air, big mountains, lots of trees. It's literally postcard perfect Canada.

My city, Vancouver. I don't live here anymore, but spent more than 20 years getting to know and love it. Of course, now it's taken over by godless sodomites and pagans. but it's still beautiful.

Last one of Vancouver. This is in Gastown, the oldest part of the city. I lived in those buildings to the left of this flatiron building. My roommate and I lived in a loft with 18-foot windows and kept a disco ball going throughout the night when we were home. The people who lived across the street got one as well, so the lane in between us looked like a party some nights. Those were the days.
From other photos I have seen in the past I would love to see Canada. It looks freezing cold though.
I bet your winter wardrobe is massive.

JoChris

Superstar
See that? That's right! It says Alberta's ENGLISH ONLY COURTS. Oh my gosh does it actually say that? Our courts are English only? Yes, yes they are!
We're pretty comparable in size. That would explain why one side is very different to each other.
Language and culture wise too.
upload_2017-5-7_7-44-45.jpeg

JoChris

Superstar

Some photos look like scenery I would imagine in fairy tales and classic movies.

JoChris

Superstar
We're pretty comparable in size. That would explain why one side is very different to each other.
View attachment 180
Culturally the West coast is poles apart from the East coast. Perth is the most isolated capital city in the world.
upload_2017-5-7_7-57-18.jpeg

Western Australia was founded by free settlers with an independent spirit. The East coast states were started by convict colonies.
I never realised how little I knew about WA until I moved there. They've got quite a chip on their shoulder and go through periods of wanting to secede from us bludgers (heard that in the middle of the mining boom, WA was the wealthy state).

Tatilina

Star
View attachment 180
I don't know why its hard for some to believe or made a big deal of. Its not something I would lie about. We used to sell stuff with English on one side and french on the other, but the french were really rude and disrespectful when they would come here and turn products to the french side like in grocery stores and stuff. People got fed up and started petitioning to remove the french side on products and they eventually did. I would honestly say that there is a strong dislike for the french because of their pompous attitudes. Most Albertans hate Tradeau and were ticked that he was french lol. I would definitely say that Albertans are biased against Quebec.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
I wonder if the French cultural influence has something to with that? I have heard that French people have a bad reputation for arrogance.
I have never met a French person so I've got no idea whether that's true or not.

Tatilina

Star
I wonder if the French cultural influence has something to with that? I have heard that French people have a bad reputation for arrogance.
I have never met a French person so I've got no idea whether that's true or not.
Oh, they do, as far as I've heard and been told. I haven't met one either, but from what I hear about them, I wouldn't want to. I don't like arrogant people who are full of themselves thinking they are better than everyone else.

Thunderian

Superstar
Not every school teaches French, nor is it mandatory to learn it every school, nor is it spoken or a popular lamguage across Canada either.
I said when I was in school it was mandatory, and noted that it's mostly spoken in the same three provinces that you said it was.

Well this explains you're dislike of me and why you ignore me even though I've never done any wrong to you, just another cold heartless self proclaimed christian, BTW not all pagans are godless.
How can I dislike you when I've never had any interaction with you?

Thunderian

Superstar
When I went to Canada when I eight years old, I remember the lady at the frozen yogurt place spoke French and had difficulty understanding us. She is the only one I remember talking though. Otherwise, I wasn't paying attention very well. I only remember this and lawn that had the Canadian flag made out of flowers. We went to Vancouver.
The frozen yogurt lady must have been an import. You almost never hear French in Vancouver. If they aren't speaking English they are speaking Cantonese.

Tatilina

Star
And in all honesty, I'm never meant to make a big deal about it, I just thought that Thunderian needs to be properly informed and up-to-date about his own Country. A little correction was needed.

Tatilina

Star
I said when I was in school it was mandatory, and noted that it's mostly spoken in the same three provinces that you said it was.

How can I dislike you when I've never had any interaction with you?
Cause when I've tried talking to you, you always ignored me, that's why.