The Creation of Man vs The Creation of Adam

Damien50

Star
I never really paid attention but there seem to be two creations but I've never seen or heard an explanation for who the first men were but rather who Adam was. Below verses show the two different(?) Creations and some supplemental verses that I always wondered about

Genesis 1:26-30 KJV
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. [27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. [28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. [29] And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. [30] And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Genesis 2:5-7 KJV
And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. [6] But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. [7] And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Genesis 4:14-16 KJV
Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. [15] And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him. [16] And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord , and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I will take a stab at the last one. Adam lived to 930. Even if the record doesn't day, chances are Cain lived past 500. So there were was a sizeable population. Lamech, the 5th from Cain said:
Lamech said to his wives,
“Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times,
then Lamech seventy-seven times."

So chances are, Cain was still alive and his great grandson is invoking his curse on the avenger of blood.

Damien50

Star
I will take a stab at the last one. Adam lived to 930. Even if the record doesn't day, chances are Cain lived past 500. So there were was a sizeable population. Lamech, the 5th from Cain said:
Lamech said to his wives,
“Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times,
then Lamech seventy-seven times."

So chances are, Cain was still alive and his great grandson is invoking his curse on the avenger of blood.
I ask because I see two creation events so I'm a bit confused and rather than try to make baseless assumptions I have arrived here.

Yahda

Veteran
Hi Damien. I often mention the two, maybe more stories of creation found in Genesis. The truth of the matter is, there is the man God created/formed, then there is everyone else to keep it simple.

Damien50

Star
Hi Damien. I often mention the two, maybe more stories of creation found in Genesis. The truth of the matter is, there is the man God created/formed, then there is everyone else to keep it simple.
Please expound. I am interested.

Yahda

Veteran
Please expound. I am interested.

I will later. I will try to point out how one creation was created at the same time, while in the other the woman was taken from the rib. One creation was created by God, the other by those God created before He formed his man.

Genesis is very interesting. While it has yet to be fully, or even partially revealed, the things that have, and the things that are being revealed are interesting to say the least.

Damien50

Star
I will later. I will try to point out how one creation was created at the same time, while in the other the woman was taken from the rib. One creation was created by God, the other by those God created before He formed his man.

Genesis is very interesting. While it has yet to be fully, or even partially revealed, the things that have, and the things that are being revealed are interesting to say the least.
Eager beaver I am.

Yahda

Veteran
Eager beaver I am.

Sorry Dame. I’ve been working myself to death. I tried to take the easy route and copy and paste something I already wrote but haven’t been able to find it. I’ll search a little more and if I can’t find it I’ll work it over. I should have time tonight.

Damien50

Star
Sorry Dame. I’ve been working myself to death. I tried to take the easy route and copy and paste something I already wrote but haven’t been able to find it. I’ll search a little more and if I can’t find it I’ll work it over. I should have time tonight.
No rush, you are one the few to respond.

cfowen

Established
The Hebrew for the English word "man" in Gen 1:26-27 is "adam", pronounced aw-dawm'

elsbet

Superstar
The Hebrew for the English word "man" in Gen 1:26-27 is "adam", pronounced aw-dawm'
You took the words... :)

120. adam

Strong's Concordance
adam: man, mankind
Original Word: אָדָם
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: adam
Phonetic Spelling: (aw-dawm')
Short Definition: man
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from an unused word
Definition
man, mankind

collective man, mankind Genesis 1:26

Adam was the start of the 100% human race. The other people Cain ended up marrying were humanoid (i.e. not 100% human) that existed outside of the garden that was originally created for Adam and his lineage

There’s also a belief that there is an unaccounted gap between genesis 1:1 and 1:2. This is why creationists say the earth is 6000 years (since the Adamic start of creation) while science believers say it’s billions of years old (since Genesis 1:1). Of course this is all just a theory

cfowen

Established
Adam was the start of the 100% human race. The other people Cain ended up marrying were humanoid (i.e. not 100% human) that existed outside of the garden that was originally created for Adam and his lineage

There’s also a belief that there is an unaccounted gap between genesis 1:1 and 1:2. This is why creationists say the earth is 6000 years (since the Adamic start of creation) while science believers say it’s billions of years old (since Genesis 1:1). Of course this is all just a theory
The Gap Theory came about since the 1st "was" in Gen 1:2 (KJV) should be "became".

"And the earth was (became) without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters"

The Gap Theory came about since the 1st "was" in Gen 1:2 (KJV) should be "became".

"And the earth was (became) without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters"
Agreed and Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain(i.e. void) , he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Damien50

Star

So am I just reading this wrong?

elsbet

Superstar

I've heard of the gap theory but not the humanoid theory (wow)... not sure I even want to go there. :p

From the literal, Genesis 1:1-4
GENESIS 1:1-4
In the beginning of God’s preparing the heavens and the earth — the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness [is] on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters,

The First Day
: Light
and God saith, ‘Let light be;’ and light is. And God seeth the light that [it is] good, and God separateth between the light and the darkness, and God calleth to the light ‘Day,’ and to the darkness He hath called ‘Night;’ and there is an evening, and there is a morning — day one.

Regarding 1:2... interesting.

1961. hayah
Strong's Concordance
hayah: to fall out, come to pass, become, be
Original Word: הָיָה
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hayah
Phonetic Spelling: (haw-yaw)
Short Definition: come

Definition
to fall out, come to pass, become, be

I did not know that. -.-