Was Homosexual Marriage A Good Idea?

Kung Fu

Superstar
I don't know. I think, given that (normative, rabbinic) Judaism is, much like Islam in this respect, a system of established jurisprudence, that is to say, an organized system of law, one could probably find exact, clearly defined Jewish marriage laws, based in various degrees upon interpretations of the Old Testament, within the Talmudic tradition.
Thank you. Your knowledge is once again much appreciated.

Peace be upon you.

Serveto

Star
Thank you. Your knowledge is once again much appreciated.

Peace be upon you.
Thank you, bro, as is yours. I am (metaphorically) a beggar, but am usually willing to share my bread. I am trying to make sense of some of this stuff myself. It is said, though apparently derived from apocryphal sources, that the Chinese have a curse, stated in English: "may you live in interesting times." That, I think it is safe to say, we do :cool:.

justjess

Superstar
As far as I know yes marriage was a man and a woman but the only reason For a sanctioned marriage back then was to protect inheritance rights - there was no other way to establish paternity at the time. The intent was different then that of a religious marriage.

And no, homosexuals did not get married under that system but homosexuality was accepted. As I said before there was no reason for homosexual marriage then, it was for paternity and inheritance only. Not an issue for homosexuals. Are situation now is so different. So many different basic conventions and basic rights are tied to marriage.

Last edited:

Haich

Superstar
Marriage and the family home, 'mother and father', doesn't need to be redefined. I do believe that the marital home will at some point host children and children need that balance of man and woman in their lives.

However, marriage has completely deteriorated. People aren't marrying as much or for the same reasons anymore, it's lost it's exclusively and couples are happy in a state of perpetual commitment. Men and women aren't making the best of marriage hence the high divorce rates, especially in the west.

The pressure on churches and other religious institutions I find wrong, it's up to people of faith to decided whether or not they'll allow their church or temple or mosque to host and condone a ceremony which goes against their religious scriptures.

justjess

Superstar
I agree 100% that churches and mosques etc should not be required to recognize or perform homosexual marriages. The state is different though.

Hell im even okay with them calling it something different like a domestic partnership or whatever that allows for all the same benefits - taxes health care etc - as a conventional marriage. But since that isn't what happened legally I'm not upset about it either. State marriage and religious marriage are different.

Damien50

Star
Marriage and the family home, 'mother and father', doesn't need to be redefined. I do believe that the marital home will at some point host children and children need that balance of man and woman in their lives.

However, marriage has completely deteriorated. People aren't marrying as much or for the same reasons anymore, it's lost it's exclusively and couples are happy in a state of perpetual commitment. Men and women aren't making the best of marriage hence the high divorce rates, especially in the west.

The pressure on churches and other religious institutions I find wrong, it's up to people of faith to decided whether or not they'll allow their church or temple or mosque to host and condone a ceremony which goes against their religious scriptures.
I notice that couples aren't willing to try anymore even in religious circles. People don't even separate but just divorce. God shows his example of marriage and the Christians at least don't seem to try to even put the work in that a marriage requires.

Kung Fu

Superstar
I notice that couples aren't willing to try anymore even in religious circles. People don't even separate but just divorce. God shows his example of marriage and the Christians at least don't seem to try to even put the work in that a marriage requires.
Everytime I hear "till death do us part" I chuckle because I don't think couples are aware that 60% percent of marriages in North America end up in divorce lol.

Damien50

Star
Everytime I hear "till death do us part" I chuckle because I don't think couples are aware that 60% percent of marriages in North America end up in divorce lol.
People want to claim God but not His lifestyle. I can understand when there are situations where divorce is truly best but splitting over money, aesthetics, personality clashes, kids, etc. Those are just excuses for pussies like MGTOW to use.

No one wants to work for anything or anyone anymore. If it isn't instant gratification people don't want it.

Aero

Superstar
I think that it's good that people don't forget about tradition, but there's clear reasons not to take some of them seriously. A marriage is supposed to be man and woman? But don't the vows also say, "Till death do us part"?

The hypocrisy is ridiculous is all I'm saying. Marriage is just a means to an end anymore. They literally aren't worth the paper they are printed on. So what's the logic to keep the gay people from having them? Oh you are gay, but you can't have this worthless piece of paper? Give me a break.

Serveto

Star
Agreed. Not generally an ideal situation with constant repercussions but in that same vein of Old Testament practices God had only given Adam one woman. I'm not and wouldn't even really argue this from a religious stance. History makes it more apparent than I could.
Leaving aside the OT and looking simply at existing secular American divorce laws and divorce rates, as @Kung Fu and others have pointed out, it seems to me that we already have a by now well established system of at least staggered polygamy. By that I mean that, when one looks at divorce and remarriage (by both and all sexes), we have a system of polygamy in which one has multiple husbands and wives, whichever applies, but, thus far, only consecutively, not concurrently. They are married one at a time, rather than all at once.

Etagloc

Superstar
I thought u were pro communism?
Am I pro communist?? Eh... I'm trying to remember.

Anyways, we have to stop the spread of sexual communism. Sexual communism is a conspiracy to destroy the family and bring the wrath of God upon civilization... we all know what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah under sexual communism.

Etagloc

Superstar
Okay, now I remember. You make a good point, justjess. I don't really fit into a lot of people's preconceived notions of right or left. I'm not for capitalism but I'm also conservative in some ways. Also I'm often joking and serious at the same time. I don't distinguish between the two because I think the distinction is artificial- and boring.

marcecar10

Established
Am I pro communist?? Eh... I'm trying to remember.

Anyways, we have to stop the spread of sexual communism. Sexual communism is a conspiracy to destroy the family and bring the wrath of God upon civilization... we all know what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah under sexual communism.
I am against those people who sell exhibitionism and promiscuity as empowerement (Fuck You, Amy Schumer) but maybe you're talking a little bit too far, dude. I mean not everyrhing liberal is against your God.

Trenton

Veteran
1Timothy
Warnings against False Teachers

1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Hmm.... I wonder who the false teachers are? It's sure doesn't sound gay Christians or the denominations that support them.