Assorted biblical topics.

phipps

Star
Usually I post threads on one topic at a time. Sometimes I post different topics related to the thread topic. In this thread I will post on different subjects.

phipps

Star
What I've learnt so far this Sabbath.

I've learnt that it would be idolatry to worship Jesus if He was created and not God. Because according to God's Word we are not to worship any created being. In the Bible even the angels worship Jesus, so He is God. He is the creator of this world, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. ... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth" (John 1:1-3, 14).

Colossians 1:16-17, "For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist."

Hebrews 1:1-2, "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds."

I also learnt that the Bible uses different words to mean that there is only one way to be saved which is through Jesus Christ. In Acts 9:1-2 Paul persecuted the disciples who were "of the Way." In Hebrews10:19-20 it is "the blood of Jesus" and "new and living way."

2 Peter 2:1-3, 15, 20-21 it is, "the way of truth", " the right way", "the way of righteousness", "the holy commandment."

Which brings us back to what Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
I've decided to post a bit more about Jesus being God after having a discussion with @Flarepath about this subject on the All-purpose, off-topic religious responses thread. @Flarepath posted a verse from Matthew 24:36 that says, "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only." This is referring to Jesus' second coming and how He does not know the day or hour of His return.

My response was, "When Jesus said this, He was on Earth and was in the likeness of men (Philippians 2:7). Jesus was mere human at that point. However, currently seated at the right hand of the Father, Jesus, knows “that day and hour.” The God head have no secrets between them. Plus God is omniscient don't forget."

What confuses a lot people including Christians is Jesus' humanity when He was on earth. They don't understand how He could come on this earth and live amongst us and be fully human yet He is God. While Jesus was on earth He voluntarily limited His divinity. He limited His knowledge and power to the capabilities of human beings in order that His own perfect life might be an example of how we should live, and that His ministry might be a pattern we could follow, aided by the same divine guidance and help that were His while He was a human being on earth.

The limitations that existed in Jesus' life while He lived on earth as our example were removed after His resurrection. Matthew 28:18-19 says, "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

When Jesus returned to heaven, He was/is highly exalted, "but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:7-11).

So while Jesus was on earth and fully human, He did not know the time of the second coming. Now that He is heaven and has no more limitations, He does know the time of the second coming. If He didn't that would mean He is not God and has less power than the Father which is not biblical or true. Therefore, the text above cannot be used to either deny Jesus’ divinity or exclude Him from the Godhead/Trinity.

Maldarker

Star
The best verse is all the titles given to him and that are written upon HIM. King of Kings Lord of Lords etc etc Alpha Omega also come to mind. Also HIS followers would never have bowed to JESUS being jews themselves but yet it happened must have known who HE was. Otherwise they would have known they where breaking the 1st commandment but yet there it is.

phipps

Star
1695673825428.png
“The greatest want of the world is the want of men - men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.“ Ed 57.3

Flarepath

Star
Jesus-rejecters are no friends of mine,,:)
"What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?..Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord, I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters" (2 Cor 6:14-18)

Maldarker

Star
Jesus-rejecters are no friends of mine,,:)
"What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?..Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord, I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters" (2 Cor 6:14-18)
But you do reject CHRIST. You reject who HE is. Your no different then islam are you sure your not a muslim tidal?

Flarepath

Star
But you do reject CHRIST. You reject who HE is. Your no different then islam are you sure your not a muslim tidal?
You gotta be jivin us boy, it's the 'Jesus was God' brigade who are rejecting him by calling him a liar !
He said multiple times he WASN'T God , yet the brigade are arguing with him by claiming he WAS God.
Let me spell it out-
When Jesus asked his disciples who they thought he was,
"Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven." (Matt 13:16/17)

So because the brigade cling to their idea that Jesus WASN'T God, I suppose God hasn't revealed to them yet that he was his Son..:)
PS- in fairness to the brigade, perhaps satan has got into their heads to make them deny that Jesus is the Son.

Last edited:

Maldarker

Star
You gotta be jivin us boy, t's the 'Jesus was God' brigade who are rejecting him by calling him a liar !
He said multiple times he WASN'T God , yet the brigade are arguing with him by claiming he WAS God.
Let me spell it out-
When Jesus asked his disciples who they thought he was,
"Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven." (Matt 13:16/17)

So because the brigade cling to their idea that Jesus WASN'T God, I suppose God hasn't revealed to them yet that he was his Son..:)
PS- in fairness to the brigade, perhaps satan has got into their heads to make them deny that Jesus is the Son.
In the beginning was the WORD

Flarepath

Star
In the beginning was the WORD
Same with the spirit of rock n' roll, it's always been there so God put Elvis on earth to reveal it to people..:)
Same with the holy spirit, it's always been there so God put his son on earth to reveal it..:)
Right Elv?-

Maldarker

Star
The WORD WAS GOD....
Before abraham was I AM (and then they tried to kill him for being blasphemous they understood what he meant by that statement i am sorry you don't)

phipps

Star
Justification.

Justification
- To be justified simply means to be made just, right or righteous. That is not man's natural state, as we all know. Romans 3:23 says, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Let us notice three statements about how we are justified.

1-
We are justified by God’s grace. “Having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life” (Titus 3:7).

2- We are justified by Jesus’ blood. “Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him” (Romans 5:9).

3- We are justified by faith. “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law” (Romans 3:28).

Three parts of justification:

A. Grace
is God’s part and the ground of justification

B. Blood is Christ’s part and the means of justification

C. Faith is our part and the how of justification

It is utterly impossible for anybody to be justified by works or by obedience to the commandments or by going good. Listen to this plain statement made by the apostle Paul:

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified(Galatians 2:16).

That’s clear, plain, and easy to understand. “By the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” Justification is the work of God and not of man, and that is why nothing we can do will justify us. We are sinners.

If we should begin from this moment to live perfectly in harmony with God’s law, we would still not be able to wipe away the sins of our past. But we cannot live in perfect harmony with God’s law in our own strength, no matter how hard we try. Therefore, “by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

Justification alone will not get us to heaven to be with our Lord eternally, we need to be sanctified and remain sanctified.

phipps

Star
Sanctification.

Sanctification
- To sanctify something is to make it holy.

God has chosen us by His grace and sanctified us (1 Peter 2:9), but we must continue living a holy life through faith in Jesus Christ to abide in His sanctification. The Lord said, “If we continue in His word, then are we His disciples indeed, and we shall know the truth and the truth shall make us free” (John 8:31-32).

Sanctification is what follows justification. It’s the process of the Holy Spirit working in us to refine our lives, reveal more about God to us, and help us deepen our relationship with Him. It’s not a ‘once saved, always saved’ situation, we should daily seek to know our Father in heaven through His Son Jesus Christ, prayerfully through His word while obeying His precepts.

So justification starts the process. We receive Jesus’ sinless life (Philippians 3:9)—a clean slate. Then this change on the inside (2 Corinthians 5:17) results in a change on the outside as God begins His work in us—sanctification.

Our souls are being purified (sanctified) by obeying the truth through the Spirit. 1 Peter 1:22, "Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart."

Jesus prayed to His Father in heaven asking Him to “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth” (John 17:17, 20). And His request was granted Him for those who have faith and choose to follow and obey Him in His truth.

We should search the Scriptures daily and prayerfully (John 5:39, 2 Timothy 2:15) obey them (James 1:22). Salvation is not in word but in Christ's power (1 Corinthians 4:20). “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15).

The Lord sanctifies His workmen, they are set aside for His holy purposes. It is never anything we do on our own, but it’s always the Lord doing His will and purpose through us to bring Him all the glory and to bless us.

If we don’t believe we can live on earth without sinning, then, “we are denying the power of God, though having a form of godliness.” And we are actually not abiding in Christ's sanctification.

There is nothing impossible, absolutely nothing impossible, with God. All we have to do is trust Him completely.

e-Enoch

Superstar
Sanctification.

Sanctification
- To sanctify something is to make it holy.

God has chosen us by His grace and sanctified us (1 Peter 2:9), but we must continue living a holy life through faith in Jesus Christ to abide in His sanctification. The Lord said, “If we continue in His word, then are we His disciples indeed, and we shall know the truth and the truth shall make us free” (John 8:31-32).

Sanctification is what follows justification. It’s the process of the Holy Spirit working in us to refine our lives, reveal more about God to us, and help us deepen our relationship with Him. It’s not a ‘once saved, always saved’ situation, we should daily seek to know our Father in heaven through His Son Jesus Christ, prayerfully through His word while obeying His precepts.

So justification starts the process. We receive Jesus’ sinless life (Philippians 3:9)—a clean slate. Then this change on the inside (2 Corinthians 5:17) results in a change on the outside as God begins His work in us—sanctification.

Our souls are being purified (sanctified) by obeying the truth through the Spirit. 1 Peter 1:22, "Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart."

Jesus prayed to His Father in heaven asking Him to “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth” (John 17:17, 20). And His request was granted Him for those who have faith and choose to follow and obey Him in His truth.

We should search the Scriptures daily and prayerfully (John 5:39, 2 Timothy 2:15) obey them (James 1:22). Salvation is not in word but in Christ's power (1 Corinthians 4:20). “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15).

The Lord sanctifies His workmen, they are set aside for His holy purposes. It is never anything we do on our own, but it’s always the Lord doing His will and purpose through us to bring Him all the glory and to bless us.

If we don’t believe we can live on earth without sinning, then, “we are denying the power of God, though having a form of godliness.” And we are actually not abiding in Christ's sanctification.

There is nothing impossible, absolutely nothing impossible, with God. All we have to do is trust Him completely.
1 Peter 1:16
King James Version

16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Holy = set apart

phipps

Star
Another way to explain Justification and Sanctification.

We need both Justification and Sanctification in order to be ready for heaven. Justification imputes the perfect victory of Jesus to cover our past sins, but sanctification imparts the victorious power of Jesus to preserve us from committing further sin. We can't have one without the other. Anyone who exercises true faith is justified. All who are truly justified are converted, or turned into a new creation; and all who have experienced the new birth will walk in obedience out of love. The cause-effect is instantaneous and inseparable.

There is no justification without sanctification and no sanctification without justification. It is very important to keep in mind that justification, as the very first approach to God, is freely bestowed and is not granted in reference to our good works. This biblical principle requires that the believer receive the gift of justification before sanctified obedience is possible. Then the conformity to the law is recognized as the result of the born-again connection with the Saviour.

phipps

Star
Righteousness by faith.

The Bible describes righteousness that comes by faith in Philippians 3:9: “And be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.”

What is righteousness by faith?

The short answer is "right-doing" by faith.

Righteousness is rightly defined as “right-doing.” But whose right-doing? Righteousness can never be the right doing of any man. The Scripture declares that all man's righteousness is self-righteousness in the sight of God, "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). There is not, never has been, and never can be any righteousness except Christ's righteousness. If we have any righteousness, or “right-doing,” other than that which is termed “self-righteousness” and worthless as “filthy rags,” it must be the righteousness of Christ; and this righteousness comes by faith.

"When we consciously cherish Christ's presence within, and consciously will His 'right-doing' in our lives, we are receiving the imparted righteousness of Jesus. He works in us 'both to will and to do of His good pleasure.' This is righteousness, or “right-doing,” by faith." Meade MacGuire.

According to Romans 1:17, Righteousness also equals the gospel of Jesus. When we read from verse 16 for context it says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” So the only kind of righteousness that this world has ever known in a real live person was in the Lord Jesus Christ. The best single definition for righteousness is Jesus. When we read, "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness," what the verse is saying to us is: "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after Jesus." Righteousness comes only by seeking Jesus. We are cannot produce righteousness in ourselves, because righteousness is found only in Jesus Christ. Romans 3:10 says, "There is none righteous, no not one."

phipps

Star
Filled with His Righteousness.

Matthew 5:6, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled."

"Righteousness is holiness, likeness to God, and “God is love” (1 John 4:16). It is conformity to the law of God, for “all thy commandments are righteousness” (Psalm 119:172), and “love is the fulfilling of the law” (Romans 13:10). Righteousness is love, and love is the light and the life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ. We receive righteousness by receiving Him." FLB, Chap 4, p109.

JESUS has everything we desperately NEED and WANT for our redemption:
His BLOOD
His MERCY and FORGIVENESS
His RIGHTEOUSNESS
His INFINITE LOVE
His SPIRIT
His AMAZING GRACE
His WORD and His TRUTH
His Father's SEAL
His SECOND COMING and
His GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE