What is spirituality?

Alanantic

Star
Yes I acknowledge that our flesh is an earthly tabernacle housing our soul and spirit. Does that in itself make us spiritual? Is that what you meant?
Is it not written in your law, "I said, Ye are gods"? -- John 10:34
"I have said, ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. -- Psalms 82:6

Well, it does make us "spirit". Our souls pretend to be us. We're like characters in a computer game. The characters come and go.

"Do not pay undue attention to the passing scenes of life. You are the immortal self (consciousness) living only temporarily in a dream that is sometimes (imagined) to be a nightmare. That is the higher philosophy (and truth) of the mystics." -- Yogananda

Lyfe

Star
"I have said, ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. -- Psalms 82:6

Well, it does make us "spirit". Our souls pretend to be us. We're like characters in a computer game. The characters come and go.

"Do not pay undue attention to the passing scenes of life. You are the immortal self (consciousness) living only temporarily in a dream that is sometimes (imagined) to be a nightmare. That is the higher philosophy (and truth) of the mystics." -- Yogananda
@Orwell's mentor is this not also prosetylizing?

Lyfe

Star

When I said man is more carnal than spiritual I meant his character. Does that make sense?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Reading this “spirituality” perspective, I wonder if those who accept the more Eastern “all is one” philosophy expect to be “themselves” in a meaningful sense after death, or absorbed into the absolute, like a drop in an ocean?

Alanantic

Star
When I said man is more carnal than spiritual I meant his character. Does that make sense?
We obviously have 2 natures, one being soul, the other these carbon-based lifeforms we call primates. The primate wants a pizza or a new Tesla. The soul wants to free itself from those material desires to explore higher archetypal concepts, like love, wisdom, truth, etc. Man didn't fall from grace. No sin was committed. We did this as a choice, to experience limitation. Heaven and Hell only exist here. Space and time only exist here. It's all part of the simulation. God creates the school's curriculum.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." -- Isaiah 45:7

Lyfe

Star
We obviously have 2 natures, one being soul, the other these carbon-based lifeforms we call primates. The primate wants a pizza or a new Tesla. The soul wants to free itself from those material desires to explore higher archetypal concepts, like love, wisdom, truth, etc. Man didn't fall from grace. No sin was committed. We did this as a choice, to experience limitation. Heaven and Hell only exist here. Space and time only exist here. It's all part of the simulation. God creates the school's curriculum.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." -- Isaiah 45:7
So what do you say to the people who believe heaven and hell are other planes and dimensions?

Alanantic

Star
So what do you say to the people who believe heaven and hell are other planes and dimensions?
I think you have to look at the universe as God's Mind. All Forms, all energy, all planes of existence, all Drama, all gods, actually are a part of this mind. The Dream analogy is used a lot to describe reality.

"The soul is undergoing a dream from which it must awake. This dream represents our association and identification with the world. The fact that it is described as being a dream means that whatever is in it has to be false. Nothing in a dream can be true. Waking up from that dream is the ultimate goal, Self-realization." -- The main theme of "Yoga Vasistha"

A Freeman

Superstar
Reading this “spirituality” perspective, I wonder if those who accept the more Eastern “all is one” philosophy expect to be “themselves” in a meaningful sense after death, or absorbed into the absolute, like a drop in an ocean?
Is being AT ONE with our Creator and the rest of His Creation really an "Eastern philosophy"? Or is that what organized religions need to teach to continue dividing, conquering and keeping people AWAY from our Creator, WHO IS ALSO A SPIRIT-BEING (John 4:24)?

John 17:17-21
17:17 Sanctify them through Thy Truth: Thy Word is Truth.
17:18 As Thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the Truth.
17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe me through their word;
17:21 THAT THEY MAY ALL BE ONE; as Thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in Thee, THAT THEY ALSO MAY BE ONE IN US: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent me.

We are all unique, individual, spiritual-Beings, temporarily incarnated/incarcerated inside these loathsome human, animal bodies, so that we can be taught to be good.

Learning to be good means learning NOT to serve the "self" and its evil, selfish interests, but instead learning to serve the greater, common good and thus one another, and to delight (joy) in doing so.

THAT is "God's Will"; that we learn to love one another as much or more than we love ourselves so that we would NEVER steal from, injure or harm another spirit-Being.

IF we are truly at ONE, how could any of us steal from another? Can you steal from yourself? Would you want to injure or harm yourself?

Learning to become ONE does NOT require losing one's individuality. You will still be you; only you will be a better, less selfish you. The spirit-Being that our Creator always knew you were capable of becoming.

And if we can learn to overcome the "self", we have an eternity to improve by getting to know the Eternal Mind of our Creator.

Last edited:

Alanantic

Star
The whole idea is to "die" while alive. The small mortal, personal sense of self is seen for what it truly is, an illusion.

To be a living being ("I am“) is not the ultimate state; there is something beyond, much more wonderful, which is neither being nor not-being, neither living nor not living. It is a state of awareness, beyond the limitations of space and time. The same source of the will (desire) to live, a source deeper even than life itself . The 'I' is there even without the 'am'. -- Shri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I have a primitive understanding of their language. Just hoping to build some rapport...
I understand. I think, for the most part, the intentions are good. However, it appears some have not read the OP and/or listened to the video in it. Perhaps the actual word "spirituality" triggers some people?

Alanantic

Star
So then your basis of truth is whatever your mind and reasoning dictates?
Our mind and reason is what God gave us to understand life. That, and a conscience. We need no books other than those that empower our abilities. We need no list of morals, no written commandments. If we rely on those we lose our natural ability to think for ourselves.

Lyfe

Star
Our mind and reason is what God gave us to understand life. That, and a conscience. We need no books other than those that empower our abilities. We need no list of morals, no written commandments. If we rely on those we lose our natural ability to think for ourselves.
You contradict yourself though. If everything is relative then then you have no basis to tell others they are wrong.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
You contradict yourself though. If everything is relative then then you have no basis to tell others they are wrong.
I’m pretty sure that almost every person committed to an individualistic spirituality gets in a car and uses a sat-nav without for a moment appreciating the irony!

Of course, a bad sat-nav can guide you down a lane too tight to follow or into a field. The directions it gives are only as good as the quality of the information source. I make no claims about religion in general, but…

Last edited:

Alanantic

Star
I don't tell people they're wrong. I simply encourage a wider outlook. Most here point to their "book" and say I believe this. I'm merely pointing out that there's a big wide world out there with many other things you may be able to believe. I was raised a Christian. I wanted to know everything I could about this God my mom and sisters believed in. I read the bible cover to cover. Then I wanted to know what the rest of the world knew about God. Unfortunately, my family and Christian friends felt no need to explore this great God of ours beyond what their book said. So, I went off alone. It was the greatest thing I ever did with my life.