Judged by the law and works

floss

Star
There's nothing scary . Why do you believe in such horrible things? It's medieval! I'll gladly pay for my sins. I've no need for Jesus. Why do you? Have you really done something so terrible that you need someone to even DIE for YOUR sins? Has my choice condemned me to some ever-lasting torture? These are sick and twisted ideas made by primitive priests who said they're from some "god" that's as primitive as themselves. You gave up your conscience for 3500 year old dusty fragments of primitive morals.
"I'll gladly pay for my sins" - well there you go, that was my point. If the Bible is true, then you will be judged and have no excuses for your punishment. If not true, then you are right for not needing Jesus. Everyone who goes to hell is because they made that choice (Free Will). This is essentially my only point. Only time will tell.

floss

Star
I read the same Bible as you Floss but I also study it. That means I study a subject from all over the Bible from the Old to the New Testament to understand it completely. Here is something that will help you understand what "forever" and "everlasting" mean and how they are used in the Bible. Hopefully this will lead you to study the subject further.

"But the Bible speaks of the wicked being tormented "forever," doesn't it?

The term forever is used 56 times in the King James Bible in connection with things that have already ended. It is like the word “tall,” which means something different in describing men, trees, or mountains. In Jonah 2:6, “forever” means “three days and nights.” In Deuteronomy 23:3, it means 10 generations. In the case of mankind, it means “as long as he lives” or “until death.” (See 1 Samuel 1:22, 28; Exodus 21:6; Psalm 48:14.) So the wicked will burn in the fire as long as they live, or until death. This fiery punishment for sin will vary according to the degree of sins for each individual, but after the punishment, the fire will go out. The unbiblical teaching of eternal torment has done more to drive people to atheism than any other invention of the devil. It is slander upon the loving character of a gracious heavenly Father and has done untold harm to the Christian cause."

"Matthew 25:41 speaks of “everlasting fire” for the wicked. Does it go out?

Yes. According to the Bible, it does. We must let the Bible explain itself. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed with everlasting, or eternal, fire (Jude 1:7), and that fire turned them “into ashes” as a warning to “those who afterward would live ungodly” (2 Peter 2:6). These cities are not burning today. The fire went out after everything was burned up. Likewise, everlasting fire will go out after it has turned the wicked to ashes (Malachi 4:3). The effects of the fire are everlasting, but not the burning itself."

I also want you to think about this too. If God was going to punish the unrighteous including Satan forever and ever wouldn't that mean they too will live forever? I want you to show me from scripture where it says the unrighteous will live forever?

The Bible says:
“The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23).

“Sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death” (James 1:15).

“God … gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
So the wages for (or the result of) sin is death, not everlasting life in hellfire. The wicked “perish,” or receive “death.” The righteous receive “everlasting life.”

Its bad enough that God is going to destroy the unrighteous who He loves because they made choices not to follow Him and because sin has got come to an end eventually. The act of destroying the unrighteous in hellfire is so foreign to God’s nature that the Bible calls it His “strange act” (Isaiah 28:21). Yet you want to believe that a kind and loving God would torment the wicked day and night forever?

You have gravely misunderstood God if you think He can do such a horrible thing. God would never do that and He won't.

We read the same Bible yet your God is so cruel and heartless. How can you continue to believe in Him if He is capable of tormenting anyone forever and ever? I wouldn't, but thankfully that is not the God of the Bible. Just punishing the wicked in hellfire and them dying eternally will be so painful for God especially after He gave everything when He sent His Son to die for all our sins.
Like I said, I'm 100% ok if you're right about this. I'm just providing a clear scripture to support eternal torment of the devil. If it turned out this clear scripture was not correct then I'm more than happy to accept it.

phipps

Star
Like I said, I'm 100% ok if you're right about this. I'm just providing a clear scripture to support eternal torment of the devil. If it turned out this clear scripture was not correct then I'm more than happy to accept it.
The scripture you posted was out of context and misleading without the rest of scripture on this very important subject. Why do you think I post entire threads on biblical subjects? Because we cannot conclude what the Bible says on a subject based on one or two verses here and there. The Bible talks about hell in both Testaments and they have to be studied prayerfully and deeply to be understood. This is something most Christians don't do.

We should all strive to be like the Bereans who didn’t simply accept each doctrine they were taught but instead studied the Bible for themselves to determine the truth of each doctrine (Acts 17:11). If we don’t study the Bible for ourselves, comparing scripture with scripture, how would we know if we are being deceived? How would we know if we are even being taught the truth?

God is love
The Bible says, God is love, 1 John 4:8. God loves His enemies. As the soldiers were nailing Jesus to the cross, He prayed, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do (Luke 23:34). As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel (Ezekiel 33:11).

God cannot allow sin, crime and violence to continue to cause suffering and death in this world. But He is not one to torture His children. So He does the most loving thing He can do, He destroys them eternally. The Bible says, "he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time" (Nahum 1: 9).

Last edited:

floss

Star
I will gladly go to where ever I deserve. You'll always be asking God if you're good enough. I will never have to.
This is a wrong assumption. Why would I always ask God if I'm good enough? I know for certain I will never be good enough no matter what I do. I know for certain even if I serve Him 24/7, pick up my cross every single day, feed all the poor people in the world. I will still not be good enough. His Holy standard of perfection is unattainble, He is the Holy God, I'm nothing. My flesh must die because that is the end result of sins and I'm a sinner. Born a sinner and die a sinner. I don't need a Savior for this flesh, I need a Savior for my Eternal soul. This is why Jesus is the only one that can save my Eternal soul. Only God have the abilities to do this. If you think you're good enough to forgive yourself and save yourself then that's your choice and you'll face the consequences if it turned out that you couldn't save yourself.

Alanantic

Star
This is a wrong assumption. Why would I always ask God if I'm good enough? I know for certain I will never be good enough no matter what I do. I know for certain even if I serve Him 24/7, pick up my cross every single day, feed all the poor people in the world. I will still not be good enough. His Holy standard of perfection is unattainble, He is the Holy God, I'm nothing. My flesh must die because that is the end result of sins and I'm a sinner. Born a sinner and die a sinner. I don't need a Savior for this flesh, I need a Savior for my Eternal soul. This is why Jesus is the only one that can save my Eternal soul. Only God have the abilities to do this. If you think you're good enough to forgive yourself and save yourself then that's your choice and you'll face the consequences if it turned out that you couldn't save yourself.
I'm always good enough if I'm true to myself. My God's within.

Standard Christian scare tactics. No one with a conscience believes in eternal damnation.

"Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man." -- Thomas Paine
The more (akin per each 24 hours) we, individually, go within. The more obvious 'the real reality' becomes.

The more (akin per each 24 hours) we, individually, do NOT go within. The more this matrix and its unprecedented noise pulls us outside to the unreal, farce, believing, doubting, speculation, nonSingularity, divisions, fictional, et. al.

The argument between human beings on 'the real & only real', and 'the fictional' has been since time immemorial.

The eventual, inevitable and untenable expiry of our transient individual lives does it for me, personally. Makes the diamond separate from the coal, so to speak.

Sicko how? I quoted what the Bible said will happen to the devil.

What is scary about you reap what you sow? Every decision come with either rewards or consequences. I've reaped plenty of consequences for my action. You made a decision to not believe, then you should reap that consequences (if the Bible turned out to be true). If it's not true then no need to worry. What's the excuses here?

Only one English word here Sir.

Only one English word (i.e. 'believe') that doesn't personally cut it for me.

Only one life we, individually, get to have. This life that is.

Nothing of this Life on before (born/birth) and on after (death/expiry) are we certain of. ('certain' is the key word)

Thus, merely the term/word 'believe' won't ever, never cut it for me.

Should there's a possibility to know, then I personally would prefer to. Especially if the rationale, logical reasoning behind it fits the bill.

If 'knowing' helps (helped) me then thats okay.

If it didn't, I can most certainly go back to believing. Isn't it?

Edit(add):-

By 'knowing', I mean knowing TheSelf.

It is found in one of the oldest of writings found on planet Earth that the real Truth is that Absolute Truth that even 'time' cannot modify. <---- It is not at all easy to understand this statement, I know!

Actually, if you see it, 'time' can in reality modify everything that can be observed via our 5 senses. The whole Universe and every atom in this Universe is currently constantly being modified by 'time'.

But TheSource of the Universe that brought this Universe into being, that brought 'time' itself into being cannot be modified by 'time'. TheSource manufactured 'time', hence 'time' in no possibility can modify it's parent i.e. TheSource.

TheSource is not merely that which emanated this Universe. TheSource is TheCreator, TheMaker, ThatEmanated (this Universe) as well as TheSustainer (i.e. right this very moment TheSource is OmniPresent) and TheDestroyer (i.e. eventual conclusion of the whole Universe I am talking here).

Now coming back to power of 'time' to modify.. My name is transient (quite literally a straw-man via masonic birth certificate) thus my name was not forever. When I was born, I still was. But my name wasn't. Now consider my body. 'Time' will also modify my body, as it has since I was a baby then a tot then a teenager then adult and so on. In fact, eventually, 'time' is gonna modify my body such excruciatingly (whether I like it or not) that 'time' will take all of my body and bring its constituents back to being in with the Universal dust.

Hence, I conclude that, yes I may be my name and my body but this fact is going to be available/present only for a temporary / transient period of 'time'. Hence this is true but not just only. I mean to say that there is a deeper level of 'Truth' also at play here that I ought to be in cognisance of especially till the not-so-deeper level truth(s) (i.e. body, name etc.) are 'temporarily' feasible.
I won't have no opportunity to be cognisant of the 'deeper' level Truth should the not-so-deeper level truth(s) cease to exist. The deepest level of The truth is exactly that, which the elites wish humanity to never gain access of. Because, should we, individually got access to our deepest level of Truth (that is within inside of us anyway), the elites won't stay elite to begin with. In our ignorance (i.e. not recognition of our deepest reality) do the elites thrive.
They brought in all sort of distractions that keep our focus outside throughout our 80~100 years of life. Especially, consider the television (shoved inside almost every household) and now the Meta. The elites manufacture dream(s) for us within our transient dream called Life. OTOH, the righteous ones will wish and want the human beings, individually, to wake up from the one and only dream called 'Life' (by gaining access to The Deepest Level of Truth within).

All religions started, initiated via this precedent only- that we human beings should 'awaken', and remain awake, from our individual deep sleep. But, unfortunately, as soon as the mortal bodies of those beings/people (who started their respective following i.e. religion) expired, the awakening precedent got thrown outta window and what remained was just gullible human beings mislead and followed astray. The 'knowing' transformed to its lower subordinate 'believing'.

Last edited:

Alanantic

Star

Only one English word that doesn't personally cut it for me.

Only one life we, individually, get to have.

Nothing of this Life on before and on after are we certain of. ('certain' is the key word)

Should there's a possibility to know, then I personally would prefer to. Especially if the rationale, logical reasoning behind it fits the bill.

You do realize we have a "Lord of the Flies", maybe even an "Island of Dr. Mareau" condition here. You may have to dumb it down a bit. Even I have a hard time following you. ..

You do realize we have a "Lord of the Flies", maybe even an "Island of Dr. Mareau" condition here. You may have to dumb it down a bit. Even I have a hard time following you. ..

Alright. My humble apologies Sir.

I will break my text/post further. Going to do it now. Will add an 'edit' in my post.

phipps

Star
Back to the subject of judged by works.

Titus 2:11-14, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works."

Just as you see smoke where there has been a fire, so we again see good works where there is grace. Just like smoke is evidence there has been a fire, likewise living soberly, righteously, godly lives zealous of good works, is evidence that grace has been here.

If we trust God we will obey Him. Our works of obedience are presented as evidence in the judgment that we trust God’s amazing grace.

floss

Star

Only one English word (i.e. 'believe') that doesn't personally cut it for me.

Only one life we, individually, get to have. This life that is.

Nothing of this Life on before (born/birth) and on after (death/expiry) are we certain of. ('certain' is the key word)

Edit(add):-

By 'knowing', I mean knowing TheSelf.

It is found in one of the oldest of writings found on planet Earth that the real Truth is that Absolute Truth that even 'time' cannot modify. <---- It is not at all easy to understand this statement, I know!

Actually, if you see it, 'time' can in reality modify everything that can be observed via our 5 senses. The whole Universe and every atom in this Universe is currently constantly being modified by 'time'.

But TheSource of the Universe that brought this Universe into being, that brought 'time' itself into being cannot be modified by 'time'. TheSource manufactured 'time', hence 'time' in no possibility can modify its parent i.e. TheSource.

TheSource is not merely that which emanated this Universe. TheSource is TheCreator, TheMaker, ThatEmanated (this Universe) as well as TheSustainer (i.e. right this very moment TheSource is OmniPresent) and TheDestroyer (i.e. eventual conclusion of the whole Universe I am talking here).

Now coming back to power of 'time' to modify.. My name is transient (quite literally a straw-man via masonic birth certificate) thus my name was not forever. When I was born, I still was. But my name wasn't. Now consider my body. 'Time' will also modify my body, as it has since I was a baby then a tot then a teenager then adult and so on. In fact, eventually, 'time' is gonna modify my body such excruciatingly (whether I like it or not) that 'time' will take all of my body and bring its constituents back to being in with the Universal dust.

Hence, I conclude that, yes I may be my name and my body but this fact is going to be available/present only for a temporary / transient period of 'time'. Hence this is true but not really. I mean to say that there is a deeper level of 'Truth' also at play here that I ought to be in cognisance of especially till the not-so-deeper level truth(s) (i.e. body, name etc.) are 'temporarily' feasible.
I won't have no opportunity to be cognisant of the 'deeper' level Thruth should the not-so-deeper level truth(s) cease to exist. The deepest level of The truth is exactly that, which the elites wish humanity to never gain access of. Because, should we, individually got access to our deepest level of Truth (that is within inside of us anyway), the elites won't stay elite to begin with. In our ignorance (i.e. not recognition of our deepest reality) do the elites thrive.
They brought in all sort of distractions that keep our focus outside throughout our 80~100 years of life. Especially, consider the television (shoved inside almost every household) and now the Meta. The elites manufacture dream(s) for us within our transient dream called Life. OTOH, the righteous ones will wish and want the human beings, individually, to wake up from the one and only dream called 'Life' (by gaining access to The Deepest Level of Truth within).

All religions started, initiated via this precedent only- that we human beings should 'awaken', and remain awake, from our individual deep sleep. But, unfortunately, as soon as the mortal bodies of those beings/people (who started their respective following i.e. religion) expired, the awakening precedent got thrown outta window and what remained was just gullible human beings mislead and followed astray. The 'knowing' transformed to its lower subordinate 'believing'.
I'm only going to reply to the first half of your post. We human always want to know things for certain don't we? If something cannot be pinned down then we become skeptical, which is fine. But when it come to God, a multi-dimensional being, it is impossible to wrap our mind to know the spiritual aspect FOR CERTAIN. Only when we believe, it will open our mind to that spiritual dimension. This is why there are many religion and they each open their own unique door to their unique spiritual realm. You seem to be asking for logic/certainity otherwise you'll cast doubt. With this mindset, you'll always run into a wall and be contained within. Is the grass greener on the other side? Yes and no. But when you found that greeny place, your soul will be at peace and you'll understand it is only by faith you can arrive at that destination. Logics is great and all but it will never get you there. Faith is the opposite of Certainity. Faith is the KEY to the Kingdom of God. It's a powerful tool and not gullible as you perceived.

Alanantic

Star
Back to the subject of judged by works.

Titus 2:11-14, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works."

Just as you see smoke where there has been a fire, so we again see good works where there is grace. Just like smoke is evidence there has been a fire, likewise living soberly, righteously, godly lives zealous of good works, is evidence that grace has been here.

If we trust God we will obey Him. Our works of obedience are presented as evidence in the judgment that we trust God’s amazing grace.
What if there is no God? I don't feel a need to "obey" God or anybody.

phipps

Star
What if there is no God? I don't feel a need to "obey" God or anybody.
You know one of the things I like about the Bible is that it never attempts to make an argument about whether or not God exists. Genesis opens with the words “In the beginning, God...” The existence of God is believed to be self-evident.

In Romans 1 Paul explains everybody knows in their hearts that God exists, so they are without excuse. The only discussion on the possible non-existence of God in the Bible is found in Psalm 14:1, "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good." and again in Psalm 53:1 that says, "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity; There is none who does good.”
It may seem offensive to refer to someone as a fool, but that is how God describes an atheist, however intelligent they may be.

Alanantic

Star
You know one of the things I like about the Bible is that it never attempts to make an argument about whether or not God exists. Genesis opens with the words “In the beginning, God...” The existence of God is believed to be self-evident.

In Romans 1 Paul explains everybody knows in their hearts that God exists, so they are without excuse. The only discussion on the possible non-existence of God in the Bible is found in Psalm 14:1, "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good." and again in Psalm 53:1 that says, "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity; There is none who does good.”
It may seem offensive to refer to someone as a fool, but that is how God describes an atheist, however intelligent they may be.
Why should I care what a book says?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -- Buddha

I'm only going to reply to the first half of your post. We human always want to know things for certain don't we? If something cannot be pinned down then we become skeptical, which is fine. But when it come to God, a multi-dimensional being, it is impossible to wrap our mind to know the spiritual aspect FOR CERTAIN. Only when we believe, it will open our mind to that spiritual dimension. This is why there are many religion and they each open their own unique door to their unique spiritual realm. You seem to be asking for logic/certainity otherwise you'll cast doubt. With this mindset, you'll always run into a wall and be contained within. Is the grass greener on the other side? Yes and no. But when you found that greeny place, your soul will be at peace and you'll understand it is only by faith you can arrive at that destination. Logics is great and all but it will never get you there. Faith is the opposite of Certainity. Faith is the KEY to the Kingdom of God. It's a powerful tool and not gullible as you perceived.
Alright.

I personally have got nothing to lose here by agreeing or disagreeing with you, Sir =)

phipps

Star
Why should I care what a book says?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -- Buddha
Most people who say they don't believe in anything have something they believe in. Some of them believe in life after death, in reincarnation, in astrology etc. When they've surveyed agnostics and atheists some said they believe there are “underlying forces of good and evil” in the world, and others believed in karma. You may not believe in the true God of the Bible but you believe in something, you identify with some kind of belief.

God created us in such a way that when He is not in our lives, we know and feel that something is not right and there is a void that only He can fill. This leads to people doing all kinds of things (some of them crazy) to fill that void in their lives.

I think you come to these threads because you're searching for God. I hope and pray that you find Him and accept and submit to Him.

God bless.

Last edited:

Alanantic

Star
Most people who say they don't believe in anything have something they believe in. Some of them believe in life after death, in reincarnation, in astrology etc. When they've surveyed agnostics and atheists some said they believe there are “underlying forces of good and evil” in the world, and others believed in karma. You may not believe in the true God of the Bible but you believe in something, you identify with some kind of belief.

God created us in such a way that when He is not in our lives, we know and feel that something is not right and there is a void that only He can fill. This leads to people doing all kinds of things (some of them crazy) to fill that void in their lives.

I think you come to these threads because you're searching for God. I hope and pray that you find Him and accept and submit to Him.

God bless.
I never said I didn't believe in anything. I've read the bible cover to cover. I can tell what's true and untrue in your book. You obviously can't. The Vedas have all sorts of fantastic tales & legends, but you have to separate truth from fiction, myth, or allegory. Here's an example of Truth I found in the Bhagavad Gita.

"When goodness grows weak,
When evil increases,
I make myself a body.
In every age I come back
To deliver the holy,
To destroy the sin of the sinner,
To establish righteousness."
Krishna, Bhagavad Gita

phipps

Star
This is taken from the book "Faith and works."

'Without faith it is impossible to please Him; for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.’
There are many in the Christian world who claim that all that is necessary to salvation is to have faith; works are nothing, faith is the only essential. But God’s word tells us that faith without works is dead, being alone. Many refuse to obey God’s commandments, yet they make a great deal of faith. But faith must have a foundation.

God’s promises are all made upon conditions. If we do His will, if we walk in truth, then we may ask what we will, and it shall be done unto us. While we earnestly endeavor to be obedient, God will hear our petitions; but He will not bless us in disobedience. If we choose to disobey His commandments, we may cry, “Faith, faith, only have faith,” and the response will come back from the sure word of God, “Faith without works is dead.” Such faith will only be as sounding brass and as a tinkling cymbal. In order to have the benefits of God’s grace, we must do our part; we must faithfully work, and bring forth fruits meet for repentance.

We are workers together with God. You are not to sit in indolence, waiting for some great occasion, in order to do a great work for the Master. You are not to neglect the duty that lies directly in your pathway; but you are to improve the little opportunities that open around you….

To Wrestle, Labor and Strive

We are to do all that we can do on our part to fight the good fight of faith. We are to wrestle, to labor, to strive, to agonize to enter in at the strait gate. We are to set the Lord ever before us. With clean hands, with pure hearts, we are to seek to honor God in all our ways. Help has been provided for us in Him who is mighty to save. The spirit of truth and light will quicken and renew us by its mysterious workings; for all our spiritual improvement comes from God, not from ourselves. The true worker will have divine power to aid him, but the idler will not be sustained by the Spirit of God.

In one way we are thrown upon our own energies; we are to strive earnestly to be zealous and to repent, to cleanse our hands and purify our hearts from every defilement; we are to reach the highest standard, believing that God will help us in our efforts. We must seek if we would find, and seek in faith; we must knock, that the door may be opened unto us. The Bible teaches that everything regarding our salvation depends upon our own course of action. If we perish, the responsibility will rest wholly upon ourselves. If provision has been made, and if we accept God’s terms, we may lay hold on eternal life. We must come to Christ in faith, we must be diligent to make our calling and election sure.

The forgiveness of sin is promised to him who repents and believes; the crown of life will be the reward of him who is faithful to the end. We may grow in grace by improving through the grace we already have. We are to keep ourselves unspotted from the world, if we would be found blameless in the day of God. Faith and works go hand in hand, they act harmoniously in the work of overcoming. Works without faith are dead, and faith without works is dead. Works will never save us; it is the merit of Christ that will avail in our behalf. Through faith in Him, Christ will make all our imperfect efforts acceptable to God. The faith we are required to have is not a do-nothing faith; saving faith is that which works by love, and purifies the soul. He who will lift up holy hands to God without wrath and doubting, will walk intelligently in the way of God’s commandments.

If we are to have pardon for our sins, we must first have a realization of what sin is, that we may repent, and bring forth fruits meet for repentance. We must have a solid foundation for our faith; it must be founded on the word of God, and its results will be seen in obedience to God’s expressed will. Says the apostle, ‘Without holiness no man shall see the Lord.’

Faith and works will keep us evenly balanced, and make us successful in the work of perfecting Christian character. Jesus says, “Not everyone that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.” Speaking of temporal food, the apostle said, ‘For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.’ The same rule applies to our spiritual nourishment; if any would have the bread of eternal life, let him make efforts to obtain it.

We are living in an important and interesting period of this earth’s history. We need more faith than we have yet had; we need a firmer hold from above. Satan is working with all power to obtain the victory over us, for he knows that he has but a short time in which to work. Paul had fear and trembling in working out his salvation; and should not we fear lest a promise being left us, we should any of us seem to come short of it, and prove ourselves unworthy of eternal life? We should watch unto prayer, strive with agonizing effort to enter in at the strait gate.

Jesus Makes Up for Our Deficiency

There is no excuse for sin, or for indolence. Jesus has led the way, and He wishes us to follow in His steps. He has suffered, He has sacrificed as none of us can, that He might bring salvation within our reach. We need not be discouraged. Jesus came to our world to bring divine power to man, that through His grace, we might be transformed into His likeness.

When it is in the heart to obey God, when efforts are put forth to this end, Jesus accepts this disposition and effort as man’s best service, and He makes up for the deficiency with His own divine merit. But He will not accept those who claim to have faith in Him, and yet are disloyal to His Father’s commandment. We hear a great deal about faith, but we need to hear a great deal more about works. Many are deceiving their own souls by living an easy-going, accommodating, crossless religion.

But Jesus says, “If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.”