Reduced Natal Care for Minorities

Kung Fu

Superstar
Precisely, hence her initiative to bring more black women in to become midwives. She wants black women to feel comfortable and there are black women with a fear/trauma/hesitant or whatever you want towards white people so yeah...
I wouldn't be surprised if these black women were getting second rate care just because they were black. Not too long ago black men were purposely injected with syphilis to see what happens when it goes untreated under the guise of receiving certain healthcare benefits. They were told that the study would last only 5 or 6 months but lasted for 40 years and to make it worse they didn't even cure them after the study was done.

Damien50

Star
I wouldn't be surprised if these black women were getting second rate care just because they were black. Not too long ago black men were purposely injected with syphilis to see what happens when it goes untreated under the guise of receiving certain healthcare benefits. They were told that the study would last only 5 or 6 months but lasted for 40 years and to make it worse they didn't even cure them after the study was done.
That's what the midwife is assuming.

elsbet

Superstar
This is more related to hospital care where these women want to have their children but aren't being given adequate neonatal care and subsequently having higher miscarriages, premature births/defects, and deaths of either child and or mother. Though because the practice of midwifery is fairly obscure and unknown these women don't have an alternative and place their trust in these OBGYN's racking up 20k plus in hospital bills while receiving less than adequate care.
Points for recognizing that planned parenthood, regardless of what they claim, is not really in the pregnancy care business. But I know what you are saying-- point being, this is nothing new, and the history speaks for itself.

On another note: if midwifery is a safer option-- and it sounds like it can be-- it is unfortunate more women aren't familiar. I've read that the drug they use to induce labor interferes with the endorphins and the oxytocin (bonding) in a natural birth-- synthetics (Pitocin) do not work in the same way.
I had no idea how common it is. :/

Damien50

Star
Points for recognizing that planned parenthood, regardless of what they claim, is not really in the pregnancy care business. But I know what you are saying-- point being, this is nothing new, and the history speaks for itself.

On another note: if midwifery is a safer option-- and it sounds like it can be-- it is unfortunate more women aren't familiar. I've read that the drug they use to induce labor interferes with the endorphins and the oxytocin (bonding) in a natural birth-- synthetics (Pitocin) do not work in the same way.
I had no idea how common it is. :/
It's the natural option rather the safest and I think women have to make a choice based on safety, comfort, and cost. The health of the baby vaginally is exponentially different compared to that of one through cesarean and while it's something to consider poke must consider the other alternative:

Giving birth in your house with no nursing or doctors to rush in at the sound of an emergency and possibly having to be rushed to the ER due to unknown or complications.

Vs.

Giving birth in a medically controlled environment where safety seems plausible and success seems high.

Because we aren't all doctors or savvy to medical jargon to always make informed decisions like these plus we have to consider what insurance might cover because shelling out four grand isn't always possible.

elsbet

Superstar
It's the natural option rather the safest and I think women have to make a choice based on safety, comfort, and cost. The health of the baby vaginally is exponentially different compared to that of one through cesarean and while it's something to consider poke must consider the other alternative:

Giving birth in your house with no nursing or doctors to rush in at the sound of an emergency and possibly having to be rushed to the ER due to unknown or complications.

Vs.

Giving birth in a medically controlled environment where safety seems plausible and success seems high.

Because we aren't all doctors or savvy to medical jargon to always make informed decisions like these plus we have to consider what insurance might cover because shelling out four grand isn't always possible.
Kind of loses its appeal when you put it like that.

Damien50

Star
Kind of loses its appeal when you put it like that.
But if your low risk, healthy, and informed then you can always have a midwife do a water birth at a hospital rather than your home. There's a lot of options for midwifery and all are better than being restricted to an unnatural birthing position on your back with a chance for cesarean. There's a lot of strain than can occur while laying on one's back that can cause complications versus letting a woman choose her natural birthing position because then many women don't actually need an epidural, women produce chemicals and so on that aid in managing the pain of childbirth, so no prodding of the spine is involved and the pain threshold can be more controlled especially if the mother is smoking marijuana during labour.

I've been told that a lot of the Amish and Mennonite women use herbs quite heavy handedly during labour rather medicines and come out just fine. My friend that is a surrogate, when she had her child was loose leaf vaping marijuana for four hours before she started to even push. After she pushed the baby out she got up and showered and proceeded to breastfeed lol.

manama

Star
they induce slow labours and speed up the process causing the child to swallow it's poo in the womb. All for what? Money.
Exactly, and inducing labours can be dangerous. Doctos talk about how women should never get an early c section out of fear of pain because even when the kid is being delivered, the body is doing final touches on him to make him as healthy as possible, and the same doctors go ahead and force a c section or induce labour wayyy too early

manama

Star
But if your low risk, healthy, and informed then you can always have a midwife do a water birth at a hospital rather than your home. There's a lot of options for midwifery and all are better than being restricted to an unnatural birthing position on your back with a chance for cesarean. There's a lot of strain than can occur while laying on one's back that can cause complications versus letting a woman choose her natural birthing position because then many women don't actually need an epidural, women produce chemicals and so on that aid in managing the pain of childbirth, so no prodding of the spine is involved and the pain threshold can be more controlled especially if the mother is smoking marijuana during labour.

I've been told that a lot of the Amish and Mennonite women use herbs quite heavy handedly during labour rather medicines and come out just fine. My friend that is a surrogate, when she had her child was loose leaf vaping marijuana for four hours before she started to even push. After she pushed the baby out she got up and showered and proceeded to breastfeed lol.
There is a natural herb, i forgot the name but its nicknamed Mary's hand where i live lol. It is often put in water when the mother is in labour and then the water is given to her to drink. Apparently it lessens the pain.

Haich

Superstar
Exactly, and inducing labours can be dangerous. Doctos talk about how women should never get an early c section out of fear of pain because even when the kid is being delivered, the body is doing final touches on him to make him as healthy as possible, and the same doctors go ahead and force a c section or induce labour wayyy too early
It's so common here and they never talk through why they're doing it. They just say oh the baby is distressed. Well of course the baby is distressed, your inducing the woman way too early instead of letting nature take its course. They make the baby stressed so there's a need to perform the c section. It's sick and twisted and I'm very ashamed and appalled at practicing professionals for not speaking out about this.

Haich

Superstar
Anyone on here expecting or trying for a baby, please don't let any health professionals force you into induction. It really can have adverse effects on you and the baby.

Don't even get me started on the effects of epidurals. I mean I had one and I don't regret it, but I didn't realise and wasn't warned how it could effect my health in the long run. I now have reduced sensations in my left knee and calf. I usually hear chronic back pain to be a side effect, but your nervous system is so complex that it's hard to rule out other side effects such as leg or hip issues.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Anyone on here expecting or trying for a baby, please don't let any health professionals force you into induction. It really can have adverse effects on you and the baby.

Don't even get me started on the effects of epidurals. I mean I had one and I don't regret it, but I didn't realise and wasn't warned how it could effect my health in the long run. I now have reduced sensations in my left knee and calf. I usually hear chronic back pain to be a side effect, but your nervous system is so complex that it's hard to rule out other side effects such as leg or hip issues.
My wife and I plan on having a kid or kids (insha'Allah) or at least trying in the next month or so and so I'm very curious about this stuff. Sister, are you saying that I should just wait until her "water" breaks and then head to the hospital? I apologize but I know nothing on child birth.

justjess

Superstar
My wife and I plan on having a kid or kids (insha'Allah) or at least trying in the next month or so and so I'm very curious about this stuff. Sister, are you saying that I should just wait until her "water" breaks and then head to the hospital? I apologize but I know nothing on child birth.
That doesnt gurantee anuthibg.. my water broke and they still induced me because apparantly after it breaks the baby needs to get out asap or so i was told

DesertRose

Superstar
I agree with jj best to go when the contractions are close.
Brother KF I recall you are in ON they are the province that gives the midwife a room in the hospital and do not interfere unless it is necessary. So the midwife route is a good choice over there unless things changed things. Or you can get a holistic OB who will support natural birth options.

DesertRose

Superstar
What should my wife and I do then?
One more thing brother KF. The first baby usually has a long birthing time and many women opt for pain relief after 24 hours or so in labor pains. Although epidural is not good for mom or the baby it would not be an option with a midwife and some women have difficulty not having that option. Perhaps finding an OB who advertises natural birth is the better option for the first time.