Reduced Natal Care for Minorities

justjess

Superstar
"We also need to level the playing field. According to the Huffington Post, the stillbirth rate for Black women is twice that of white and Asian women — and Black women are three times more likely than white women to die during childbirth. And if you’re poor and on Medicaid, you’re more likely to have a stillbirth. It’s the old American tale of the haves and have-nots, brutally played out in the delivery room. "

Damien50

Star
"We also need to level the playing field. According to the Huffington Post, the stillbirth rate for Black women is twice that of white and Asian women — and Black women are three times more likely than white women to die during childbirth. And if you’re poor and on Medicaid, you’re more likely to have a stillbirth. It’s the old American tale of the haves and have-nots, brutally played out in the delivery room. "
This is fairly unrelated but the midwife days they've found one of many causes off SIDS - smoking a cigarette any large distance, outside even and then returning to the infant causes an oxygen issue and later death due to the lingering second-hand smoke.

Though on a related note I worry infinitely less about Planned Parenthood when minority women struggle to birth the children they do want and while PP offers a convenient service for the impoverished it's not really their fault especially when things like what you have posted are mentioned. Let's obsess over why black women can't birth children rather than why the impoverished and disenfranchised make decisions at times that allow them and their family to maintain what little they possess. Thanks jess

Sunshine

Established
I had a midwife for my own pregnancy and birth. She was the most gentle, beatific woman I have ever met. She used to be an RN and then got into midwifery, so I would guess that she'd seen her share of bad cases in "the system" and got out.

I didn't know about all these issues with hospital care, etc., but my gut told me to go with a midwife. Also, my husband and I had NPO jobs, with no insurance, and the total cost was around $4,ooo, versus $12,000 for regular OB/hospital care. Kind of a no-brainer.

I had complications and had to go to hospital anyway, (insert nightmare c-section story here) but she stood by me the whole time. And she and her assistants did my post-natal care, in my home. I realize now how blessed I was to have my newborn baby examined, weighed and cared for by these loving hands, instead of being in a human assembly-line at a clinic or hospital.

I recommend midwives to anyone who will listen. It is the Real Oldest Profession, and one I feel that men, being historically jealous of that particular power of life-bringing, have tried to usurp and turn into yet another business. Which is why they began accusing midwives of being "witches" in the Middle Ages, and only now are these amazing women winning back the respect of the general public.

We definitely need more midwives available to women all over the country. It is a healthier, gentler option for families, and the cost savings to the states would be enormous.